View Poll Results: Contracts or No contracts?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Monthly billing to avoid the risk

15 65.22%
  • Annually preferred to save time and hassle of paying every month

4 17.39%
  • Annually only if discounts offered

4 17.39%

Do you mind contracts with discounts?

This is a survey for web hosting customers, if you're signing up with a well known company which has been in business for quite a while. Would you prefer to pay for a full year or two to save a few dollars or would you rather keep paying monthly to avoid the risk?

I would rather pay monthly in case there was problems of any kind and I needed to leave I am not out much. Paying yearly you are at a big risk because say 10 month down the road and your web host is having major problems and you have tried to work things out with them but nothing. If you paid by paypal or credit card it is to late to get a charge back. Most credit cards give your 6 months to dispute something. Even with a money back guarantee, there is not guarantee that the host will honor it!!
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by Neosmith View Post
    I would rather pay monthly in case there was problems of any kind and I needed to leave I am not out much. Paying yearly you are at a big risk because say 10 month down the road and your web host is having major problems and you have tried to work things out with them but nothing. If you paid by paypal or credit card it is to late to get a charge back. Most credit cards give your 6 months to dispute something. Even with a money back guarantee, there is not guarantee that the host will honor it!!
    Doing a dispute for the entire amount 6 months down the road, you are really ripping the web hosting company off even if they are having issues.

Quote Originally Posted by WN-Ali View Post
    Doing a dispute for the entire amount 6 months down the road, you are really ripping the web hosting company off even if they are having issues.
    I wasn't saying that I would do that but just pointing out the facts.
    That is why I do monthly hosting for the most part. I have paid yearly before but that was because it was a personal site and I wasn't paying much in the first place.

To me if the monthly cost is less than $10 a month, paying yearly (depending on other things) is not really a big deal. Any thing over $10 a month then I would pay monthly.
    Others mileage will vary!!!
    Charles

If I was a customer, I wouldn't mind "committing" to 1 year contract with discounts. Some find it hard to prepay for 12 months so I think they'll feel safer if they can commit (sign a contract) and pay on a monthly basis.
    ServerTag Technologies - Everything you need for hosting activity
    A Canadian company providing top notch site hosting, servers and colocation services

Quote Originally Posted by Neosmith View Post
    agree.....

As a customer I always prefer to pay monthly. If there has to be a contract I'll consider it but I will never pay more than 3 months at a time even if it's the greatest web host ever.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Would you prefer to pay for a full year or two to save a few dollars or would you rather keep paying monthly to avoid the risk?
    Lots of factors could influence the decision, such as the total yearly price (big sum = high risk) and the relative value of the discount (10% off would not be much of an incentive -- to me). In most situations though, and even if the host is well known, I'd go for monthly, at least for a good number of months. There's always the possibility of incompatibility with the host/their approach to things.

I usually prefer to pay monthly. For hosts that have earned my trust, I go up to 3 months at a time, but no further than that.

I would pay for 1 year and usually hosts give some discount (if monthly cost is 4,95$, annually cost is 44$ and so on). Voted for 2nd option: I don't want my CC het charged every month. Once my contract expires, I am free to sign for a new host or continue with the old one.

Ok, as a customer I would sign up for a year plan if there are discounts. Since you said it would be a well-known hosting company, there is less risk really and I will get a discount.

Now from a provider stand point I like customers who pay monthly. Giving discounts reduces profit margins and since I am not going to scam anyone yearly contracts are good only for customers.

I usually pay less than $5/month , so paying yearly or once in 2-3 years is better. Monthly I would making payments daily.

I usually prefer paying yearly, however the monthly costs for the hosting I have isn't that high (around $10 / €10).
    I prefer it to save the hassle of paying each month (and checking if I have to prevent disputes) and usually the host gives a discount.

I find paying for more then 1 year in advance a too high risk to do though.

To me it depends on the amount / contract itself. For example I've got a small shared account for hosting some offsite stuff and pay $6/mo and saving $12/year for the year. On the other end of the scale we've just signed a new 3 year contract with our datacenter to lock in pricing but the difference for me is that in front of me I've got a long document that goes into huge details and also we are both in the same legal juristicion so in the even of issues its a lot easier to wander down the legal path

That said we are saving a lot more than $12/year
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

I guess a better option would be to have both monthly payments available, and discounted yearly rates to keep everyone happy

I don't mind contracts if there is a money back guarantee for 1-3 first months.

I think the best option is contract bonuses with monthly payments, with a termination fee clause. Kinda simular to places like Verizon Wireless, Sprint/Nextel etc.