Question Backing up the websites, how to?

I believe my webhost may go out of business soon, I am backing up the mySQL databases locally (to my HD) through CPanel, and the rest of the data with Filezilla by downloading the whole site to my local hard disk.

Is this enough?

I have seen some info about transferring sites to another host through FTP in CPanel, but in this scenario I am assuming this will not be possible as the host will have gone bust for good with not warning.

Would it be difficult to restore my sites having them backed up in my hard disk the way I do?

Is there some way of doing this better (free of charge)?

Thank you, I really should change host I know, but I paid one year in advance, now I realise it is a one man company whom just happened to have some spare space in his home business adventure, just reselling his spare space/bandwith in some dedicated host, so I need to plan for trouble.

Just use the cPanel Full Backup feature and download the tar.gz file that is created. You can take this file to another cPanel host and get up-and-running quickly.

Kind Regards,

Thank you utropicmedia-karl for your useful and clear help instructions, I forgot to mention that I am actually hosting three sites/domains there (with three different databases), will that feature in CPanel back up all of them or do I have to do one by one?

No problem.

If the sites are all addon domains of the same cPanel account, the Full Backup will get all of them.

Kind Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by malcarada View Post
    I believe my webhost may go out of business soon, I am backing up the mySQL databases locally (to my HD) through CPanel, and the rest of the data with Filezilla by downloading the whole site to my local hard disk.
    I would suggest if u have cpanel latest version make a zip file of public_html folder instead and download that , will be way quicker than downloading lots of small files.

If you dont have latest i guess the old way of download , or use full backup feature of cpanel.

You can also create a cron job to zip your home dir and sql data daily, and use a software (e.g. wget) to download this zip file. This way, you do not need to log into your cpanel every time. When you want to backup your data, just type the address of the zip file in your web browser is enough.

Google "cPanel cron job" for more info.

Don't back up your website... change the web host. You don't have to stay with anyone who is going to exit the business.
    DawHB.com - Web Hosting Blog | VPSHostDir.com - VPS Hosting Media