Good *nix distribution for a n00b?

Because I am getting more and more fed up with Windows every day, I'm becoming more and more interested in trying out a *nix flavor to use/tinker with on an old computer.

I've been looking at Kubuntu/KDE, which, from what I understand, gives a point and click interface similar to Windows. Would this be a good place to start? Are there enough programs - FTP, PHP IDE-type editors, perhaps an image editing program are my main concerns - that would make the transition fairly comfortable for someone who's not used a *nix distro for an operating system before?
    <?php echo "Signature here"; ?>

Hands down ubuntu. The latest version was the first *nix distro I could recommend to anyone.

The overall experience was top-notch.

One main feature that I loved was the pre-installed software and links (installs) for additional software.

I'll let others like jos recommend other programs... but ubuntu would be on the short list (well, the only one on my list).

No disrespect to the other distros, I'm sure they are fine.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Ubuntu or Linux Mint (a derivative of Ubuntu).

The very easiest one to use is Freespire, but it has a bad rep in the nix community for being a bit too windows-like

Suse or Kubuntu might be worth a peep
    Web Hosting Plus
    Premium Australian Web Hosting

I'd take ubuntu over kubuntu just as I don't like Ku's UI, but they're almost identical. [they;re the same distro with a different desktop environment] Xubuntu is great too, though it's seemingly an ugly version of Ubu.

any of those three is a good call. I'd go Ubuntu mainly due to it being a bit more different than windows [no training wheels] but still easy to figure out and learn
    Ash Slaughter, former Systems Operator for Scratch Telecom
    Oracle Ninja, Linux Admin, Java/JSP Developer, Casual C#/ADO.NET/ASP.NET Monkey, Python Programmer, CCNA.

Quote Originally Posted by SSHocker View Post
    The very easiest one to use is Freespire, but it has a bad rep in the nix community for being a bit too windows-like
    Freespire is terrible now.. the version 1 was great... version 2 is really unstable.

Quote Originally Posted by P-nut View Post
    Because I am getting more and more fed up with Windows every day, I'm becoming more and more interested in trying out a *nix flavor to use/tinker with on an old computer.
    You will love Windows, Microsoft, and Bill Gates after this experience.

Linux is nice but somethings to realize are:

1. WIRELESS NETWORKING!!!(You are better off buying a new card that is accepted by the distro you use, then to try to spend 3 days getting it to work)

2. Program compatability, my experince with wine has been SLOW!

3. Learning - expect to love the command line(which I do, but it takes some time).

4. Complete **** from your girlfriend.

Overall if you can over come these, you will probably be a'ight. DAWG, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by csparks View Post

1. WIRELESS NETWORKING!!!(You are better off buying a new card that is accepted by the distro you use, then to try to spend 3 days getting it to work)

2. Program compatability, my experince with wine has been SLOW!

3. Learning - expect to love the command line(which I do, but it takes some time).

4. Complete **** from your girlfriend.

Overall if you can over come these, you will probably be a'ight. DAWG, lol.

1. On my dell ubuntu picked up my wireless without me having to do anything. It worked soon as I downloaded it... same as wired drivers (well, all drivers).

2. You don't need wine. Ububntu comes with all the programs you need... if you find that you need wine, then you really need windows and should question your choice of OS.

3. I never had to go there... not sure why you would... unless you started tinkering about.

4. Is that the reason she gave you?

I still love xp as an OS (warming to vista)... but there is nothing wrong with ubuntu... I say try it... heck, it is free, nothing to lose.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

I personally like PC BSD based off freebsd but you don't have to be a unix guru to get the hui up and install software.

Quote Originally Posted by csparks View Post
    Linux is not an operating system. Linux is a religion.

Just kidding

Seriously, if you are going to use *nix as desktop OS I suggest you give a try to openSUSE 10.3. Of course expect critics from some Linux fanatics arguing openSUSE is supported by Novell and Microsoft. Don't stop using a very nice and friendly distro due these childish position. Read about Novell-Microsoft deal here and here.

In the case you are going to use *nix as server OS I suggest you Debian 4. Maybe would be interesting to sign a cheap VPS plan instead trying to install from zero while you are learning the basics.
    Last edited by dotHostel; 02-09-2008 at 05:46 AM.

If you're after 'programs', unfortunately, the recommendation is going to be stay with Windows. Linux development for various applications is good, but Windows is where most everything is developed for.

From what you've named, there's a few choices in the Linux World

Graphics - Hands down, you want gimp
    Messaging -
    pidgin (formerly gaim)
    Kopete
    Email -
    Kontact/Kmail
    Evolution

There's probably hundreds of thousands of apps written for linux, the problem is interoperability with Windows setups. Check out Freshmeat for your Linux App queries

As far as which version?
    You want to go with either mandriva or OpenSuse for home distributions
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

Xubuntu, Kubuntu, or Debian.

GNOME is fail, Debian is a bit hard to set up, and the ubuntus have trouble upgrading sometimes. So take your pick.

EDIT: Krita (part of KOffice) and KMess are excellent for KDE, as well as KDE's IDE.

You should always match software based on toolkits, you'll thank yourself later. Although one of the best image editors, GIMP, is GTK2, and so might run slower in KDE.

EDIT2: The ubuntus have a meta package in the extra repositories where you can easily download codecs and such. Be warned, you're best off using the 32-bit version if you don't want any headaches. Or use the 64-bit kernel with 32-bit everything.

Wine can handle plenty of windows games, and there ARE a lot of games for Linux (they just aren't boxed software).

Oh man dennace dennis, I never thought I'd see a hekwu post like that. ;P

http://linux-wless.passys.nl/ Find your card there if you have WiFi.
    Last edited by Jorophose; 02-09-2008 at 07:10 PM.

Ubuntu for sure.
    their support is getting better and better. A lot of stuff auto detects now (like wireless drivers). You used to have to earn your way to the internet. Its very easy now.

and hey, even my gf uses ubuntu. she doesnt know anything about computers

I'm going to have to go for Ubuntu as well; it's largely simple/easy/well-put-together enough for the average user to make use of, and hardware support's pretty good nowadays. Heck, I've seen people who had trouble with Windows (yes, that's possible) get by just fine with Ubuntu.

I'll throw in with the *buntu crowd. Personally I prefer Kubuntu or Xubuntu, as I think Gnome is a bloated, slow PITA. The only real snags I've run into on *buntu have to do with sound card support and a wonky USB wireless adaptor I have.

The big advantage to *buntu IMO is that just by changing repos you can turn it into a full-blown Debian system, so it's kind of the best of both worlds. I really hate using RPM-based systems like RedHat, et al.

Another lightweight distro for low-end systems in PuppyLinux, but I've only used it on pre-packaged USB key images, so I don't know how easy it is to install from scratch.

Ubuntu & Gentoo forums are excellent support resources. The Gentoo forums are good for more in-depth discussions after you start getting into the guts of things.

Good luck.

Gentoo's community probably has the best guides, bar none, simply because everyone working on it is so knowledgeable (woah, long word ).

So always check out the Gentoo Wiki if you've ever got a hardware or general linux problem; they've most likely covered it by now.

Ubuntu is the one everyone i've talked to says to start with. Along with everyone saying its a good starter distro it is probably one of the most popular (or in the top 5) distros, so it's a good one to be familiar with.

Quote Originally Posted by 2synapses View Post
    I'll throw in with the *buntu crowd. Personally I prefer Kubuntu or Xubuntu, as I think Gnome is a bloated, slow PITA. The only real snags I've run into on *buntu have to do with sound card support and a wonky USB wireless adaptor I have.

The big advantage to *buntu IMO is that just by changing repos you can turn it into a full-blown Debian system, so it's kind of the best of both worlds. I really hate using RPM-based systems like RedHat, et al.

Another lightweight distro for low-end systems in PuppyLinux, but I've only used it on pre-packaged USB key images, so I don't know how easy it is to install from scratch.

Ubuntu & Gentoo forums are excellent support resources. The Gentoo forums are good for more in-depth discussions after you start getting into the guts of things.

Good luck.
    Wait, you think Gnome is bloated compared to KDE?

Quote Originally Posted by daejuanj View Post
    Wait, you think Gnome is bloated compared to KDE?
    maybe he was just testing us ; p

Then again, I'm now a Fluxbox user, so I can stick my tongue out at all three of ubuntu's standards [though I like to hang out with xfce users on weekends]
    Oracle Ninja, Linux Admin, Java/JSP Developer, Casual C#/ADO.NET/ASP.NET Monkey, Python Programmer, CCNA.

I would suggest using a bootable live cd to test out the various distributions to see what you like.

http://www.livecdlist.com/?pick=All&showonly=desktop

The problem with a Live CD test is they don't really give you too much feel for package management / installing things