Desktops with Laptop Chips?

Why aren't there any desktops using mobile processors? The Core 2 Duo Meroms go to 2.6 GHz with a 4MB cache (800 MHz FSB) and draws just 35 Watts.

It seems to me like people would be eager to start building compact, low-power desktops, especially when "eco-friendly" hardware has become popular. And in things like blade servers, it'd seem all the more important to minimize power draw.

Have I just overlooked them, or does such a thing not even exist?

Quote Originally Posted by fog View Post
    Why aren't there any desktops using mobile processors? The Core 2 Duo Meroms go to 2.6 GHz with a 4MB cache (800 MHz FSB) and draws just 35 Watts.

It seems to me like people would be eager to start building compact, low-power desktops, especially when "eco-friendly" hardware has become popular. And in things like blade servers, it'd seem all the more important to minimize power draw.

Have I just overlooked them, or does such a thing not even exist?
    1. The mobile Core 2 Duos blow.
    2. Haha, eco-friendly? Where are Intel and AMD going to make their money? Where's Crytek going to make its money? (geez that game must have been entirely in Python or something)

There exists low-power solutions, like the C7, and lower-wattage CPUs, like the X2-BE and X2 EE SFF from AMD. But they're not very popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorophose View Post
    The mobile Core 2 Duos blow.
    Where do they fall apart? My experience is just my C2D laptop, which works well. I've never really run it through benchmarks. But in terms of specs, they seem on par with desktop chips. What am I missing?

Haha, eco-friendly? Where are Intel and AMD going to make their money?
    I'm losing you. They'd make their money selling chips. The systems with them in them would just draw a little less power.

(geez that game must have been entirely in Python or something)
    Now I've completely lost you.

Yea, I havn't really seen any benchmarks on lappys, anyone got anything other than anecdotal evidence?
    Ash Slaughter, former Systems Operator for Scratch Telecom
    Oracle Ninja, Linux Admin, Java/JSP Developer, Casual C#/ADO.NET/ASP.NET Monkey, Python Programmer, CCNA.

Mobile parts almost always run slower, clock for clock, and are generally clocked at lower frequencies to begin with. and if that's not enough, 700$ in laptop parts is far from close to 400$ in regular desktop components.

Now, the reason nobody uses mobile parts is simply because people love their crysis, people love their bloated apps, and because of that you'll never get much running on mobile parts. I'd love to see someone play Call of Duty 4 with their laptop parts, or even Spore. You'll pretty much be gimped from day 1.

And even then, think of it this way: Why replace a mainframe with a (rack of) server(s)? And of course pretty much no mobile CPU can be upgraded...

Mobile parts almost always run slower, clock for clock, and are generally clocked at lower frequencies to begin with. and if that's not enough, 700$ in laptop parts is far from close to 400$ in regular desktop components.

Now, the reason nobody uses mobile parts is simply because people love their crysis, people love their bloated apps, and because of that you'll never get much running on mobile parts. I'd love to see someone play Call of Duty 4 with their laptop parts, or even Spore. You'll pretty much be gimped from day 1.

And even then, think of it this way: Why replace a mainframe with a (rack of) server(s)? And of course pretty much no mobile CPU can be upgraded...
    You make it seem like they are extremely underpowered compared to their desktop counterparts. I play COD4 super smoothly on my 2 year old laptop (Intel Core Duo T2500 2.0Ghz, ATI Radeon X1600).

And what settings is it on? And what's your resolution?

And most importantly, how much did your laptop cost you?

Mobile parts almost always run slower, clock for clock,

That used to be the case, however the Core 2 microarchitecture is by and large unified [they actually took the desktop archetecture from the mobile line] so I'm going to say your blatently wrong. If the caches and clocks line up, you're going to get the same performance

However, price wise, and mobo requirements may be a major wrench in the works
    Ash Slaughter, former Systems Operator for Scratch Telecom
    Oracle Ninja, Linux Admin, Java/JSP Developer, Casual C#/ADO.NET/ASP.NET Monkey, Python Programmer, CCNA.