Thumbs up [Review] A Small Orange (.com) - Hosted with them for 1-2 years; brilliant host

Hey all,
    I'm not great at writing reviews, although I feel it'd be good to pay something back to A Small Orange, one of the best hosts I've been with to date.

Just to say that I've recently moved most of my sites away from my ASO VPS, for details I'll explain later. Although I'd still recommend ASO as a quality and reliable host. As a bit of background, ASO have quite a lot of employees (and they are serious about employing). They also have a *lot* of servers:

http://www.asmallorange.com/status/

I always like to know the size of a host, and the number of employees, I always think that knowing about the size and background of the host you are moving to is very important

I actually started off at ASO on the 30th of December 2006. I was originally with one of their shared hosting packages, although I soon outgrown shared. Instead of being disconnected (for causing the server to lag badly sometimes), I was instructed that upgrading to their VPS package would be the best/only way forward This was the best approach IMHO. You here stories of some hosts pulling the plug and then *telling* the customer they must upgrade etc.

Anywhoo, I upgraded to their VPS packages and was a bit shaky at first (as I've never learnt server admin stuff). If I had any questions, all I had to do was ask and their support staff would usually answer within 30 minutes, and the reply would be really helpful.

After a while it seemed that 216 megs of memory wasn't enough, I was advised to upgrade to 512 megs. The step between the VPS package I was on (at $50 p/m) and the one with 512 megs (at $90 p/m) was a bit too large for my liking, hence I asked and I got the extra 256 mems of RAM for just $20 extra p/m. Still a bit expensive, although a compromising host is always good to see

Server stability has always been pretty good. A few weeks ago there was an issue with the RAM/memory installed on the node, which was causing my MySQL queries to take 5-20 seconds each to run. This then pushed my memory usage up. At first, I contacted support and they were saying that I needed to upgrade my VPS package to get more memory. Although after insisting this was a new issue (and that my website's hadn't grown in traffic much over the past week), they looked into things more and noticed the memory issue. It was fixed within 24 hours.

I recently breached the 10 gigs of diskspace barrier, hence I asked if I could purchase some more (without having to upgrade to the new package up). Apparently I couldn't, hence I moved up to the $90 p/m VPS package. However this was quite a hefty price tag for me, and after scouting around a bit, I realised that I could get the same VPS package elsewhere for around $50 p/m.

Hence I have now moved to another host, although I still think that ASO are a great host. Their prices are maybe a tad too high (for VPSes, anyway), although I'd say that if you think their prices are reasonable, give them a try.

Overall = 8.5/10
    Support: 9/10 - Sometimes a bit slow to answer on Sundays, even in an emergency, although overall their support is amazing
    Server reliability: 8.5/10 - Some small hickups, although I've never actually had downtime due to hardware failure, or a DDOS attack on the node (etc)
    Connection Speeds: 9/10 - No complaints here.
    Prices: 6/10 - Might suprise you that I haven't put lower, although ASO really are a top-notch and trust-worthy company. Hence with ASO you really are paying for quality. You can also pay per annum, and you then get 2 months free.

Thanks If you have any questions, please ask.
    Tristan Perry

For mod verification purposes... that may get tricky. One of my sites (tauonline.org) was hosted at ASO and could be accessed at: http://207.210.105.194/~tauonli . However that is automatically redirecting to tauonline.org, which is now hosted on the new server. Although I'm hoping that because the redirection works (from 207.210.105.194), it'll prove I am/was hosted with ASO?
    Plagiarism Guard - Protect Against Content Theft
    Tristan Perry - Personal blog

Tristanperry,

Nice detailed review! If you don't mind me asking who did you end up with?

Thanks Nnyan I ended up with KnownHost.

Hmmm...its a shame to see a loyal client move away from a host and the sole reason being price.

But remember that the reason you had a peace of mind for so long was because of the high level service which matches the price.

Anyways, nice to read a positive review from an old client and good luck with KH.
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

It is a shame - although the package I've moved to is 44% cheaper, and some people still regard KnownHost as expensive.

ASO are a good company, and I may look back to them in the future for other websites (who knows).

What I also forgot to mention is future growth. ASO's next package up (but still a VPS) is $125 p/m. That'd be even if I wanted a bit more diskspace (etc).

With KnownHost, however, you can add things a la carte Plus they do offer 'hybrid servers' which are a nice step up again

Although it is a shame to leave ASO, I'm not denying that