Offsite backups, can you use a shared host or should it be another VPS?

Hello all, since my latest nightmare experience with TheNYNoc.com I am looking for a place to host backups of my new VPS. TheNYNoc.com screwed up my VPS and wouldn't let me get any backups, so now I am going to make sure I have backups!

Should I get another small VPS, or can I use a shared hosting environment? All I need to use it for is storing the backups. I'm going to set it up in WHM to FTP the backups to a remote server. It seems it would be a lot cheaper to use a shared hosting account, but what is the best way to do it?

Thanks

depends on how big is your backup files. do you only backup cpanel accounts or do you want to backup the whole vps too? I think you should consider that too (backup whole vps)

if you only backup cpanel accounts and it's not so big i think shared hosting is fine. but what is my concern on using shared hosting is the security of your backups. for convenience i suggest to sign up another VPS or better a dedicated server with big HDD (no need speedy processor or big RAM)
    HalfDedi.com • Half Dedicated Half Price
    We provide affordable VPS hosting solution Singapore datacenter

forgot one thing: bandwidth, it's better if you can get 100Mbps connection. If your backup files grow very big, it will be take hours to upload gigs of files
    HalfDedi.com • Half Dedicated Half Price
    We provide affordable VPS hosting solution Singapore datacenter

It seems that backup is very important thing for you. I would recomend you also consider seperate backup solutions? It seems they are not too expencive nowadays.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

Try getting just a backup account with bqbackup.com?

Thanks
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

I currently use shared hosting with some big coupons, I find it enough. If your file size is really huge or security is your concern, I think you will need some real offsite backup solutions.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=668043
    Head to the dedicated server forum, there is a talk about bqbackup reseller.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=668797
    If you want some crazy cheap offsite backup service, you can consider VaultArray. VP-Kaumil do visit VPS forum too, he is also a VPS provider.

I've been using Serverways.com for remote backups now for a couple of weeks...
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=669940
    Works well for me!
    I had an account with a reseller of bqbackup but it was unreliable due to running out of space. I think bqbackup has become a victim of it's own success?
    Serverways prices are better for smaller amounts of disk space anyhow, I don't need 100GB.

Quote Originally Posted by build-a-host View Post
    Should I get another small VPS, or can I use a shared hosting environment? All I need to use it for is storing the backups.
    My VPSs are plain old Centos 5.1 with only Webmin as control panel.

I use Jungledisk + Amazon S3 + Rsync.

Costs me a few bucks each month.

You just have to keep an eye on how much you are transferring and storing as Amazon S3 is a pay as you use style system.

Quote Originally Posted by slowdive View Post
    I had an account with a reseller of bqbackup but it was unreliable due to running out of space. I think bqbackup has become a victim of it's own success?
    It would be the reseller that is a victim of their own success. We have plenty of space available. If the reseller asks us for it, we give it to them. If they don't, you get errors.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Quote Originally Posted by geekboy View Post
    My VPSs are plain old Centos 5.1 with only Webmin as control panel.

I use Jungledisk + Amazon S3 + Rsync.

Costs me a few bucks each month.

You just have to keep an eye on how much you are transferring and storing as Amazon S3 is a pay as you use style system.
    I'd second the Amazon s3 suggestion. I use s3sync and do a weekly full with nightly incrementals on a small vps and it's costing less than $1 per month.

I think a shared plan with plenty of space and bandwidth would be able to suit your needs. I don't see any reason as to get another VPS since it's only for backups right?
    Rageki Web Hosting Solutions - Canada & United States Web Hosting
    DirectAdmin & cPanel Control Panels
    99% Uptime!
    30 Day Money Back Guaranteed!

Thanks for the suggestions. Amazon s3 looks good, but I don't understand how it all works. Do they just give you an FTP account and you setup your server to send backups to that FTP account?

Edit:
    I just signed up, but it makes no sense. I consider myself to be pretty good with things like this, but this make absolutely no sense at all. I don't see where I get the FTP account info. All I see is some descriptions on AWS Access Identifiers, and Access Key ID and Secret Access Key?
    Last edited by build-a-host; 02-14-2008 at 01:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by build-a-host View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. Amazon s3 looks good, but I don't understand how it all works. Do they just give you an FTP account and you setup your server to send backups to that FTP account?

Edit:
    I just signed up, but it makes no sense. I consider myself to be pretty good with things like this, but this make absolutely no sense at all. I don't see where I get the FTP account info. All I see is some descriptions on AWS Access Identifiers, and Access Key ID and Secret Access Key?
    Amazon s3 uses a custom API, you need a script or application to interface with it. Jungledisk is a commercial application that would work as a backup system along with rsync. S3sync is a free ruby script. I use the full/incremental feature of Tar to back things up, then use s3sync to send it to Amazon. I schedule it with CRON and it works flawlessly.