* Nightmare Host - Web Intellects is the worse!

About 2 years ago I contracted with webintellects.com out of California for a Linux VPS. At first (the first month) I was satified with them. They had good phone support and things seemed to be o.k. until I had about 7 or 8 sites on the VPS. So I called them and they said that evrything was running fine there was little load on the processor and lots of ram left. The tech support tweaked something and it started to run fast again...for a little while. After I had 12 sites on the vps I decided to call them to find out what options they had for upgrades and so I added a second vps to my account.

With 1 low traffic site on the new vps it ran like an old dog. The other vps with 12 sites ran much much faster than the new vps. I asked them what was happening to the vps "It is your internet connection that is affecting it." they said and added "It comes up fast for me." I checked my connection speed and it checked out at 13800 kbps so I know that it wasn't my connection and called back. "Well it must be on your end or between you and the server." was their answer. As if by some miracle the server got fast again. And then slowed down almost permanantly. I complained and then it would speed up for a few days and then slow down and I'd complain again and then it would speed up...you get the point! Meanwhile the other vps continued fine. I pointed this out to them numerous times that the other vps with a dozon or more sites on it was loading larger pages much faster than the one with a 180k flash site. They continued to blow me off and then I got pissed off and called again. That call got it fixed for about 2 months and during that time i had now added 5 more sites to that site bringing the grand total to 7. I had also had 4 clients order vps service during that time.

To make a really really long story short the s**t hit the fan about two weeks ago on that vps. A raid controller card went bad and ALL of the data on that server bit the dust! 3 days down time just for that and the latest backup being 45 DAYS OLD!!! Oh by the way 6 days to restore the backup. I am so screwed I am more than likely going to lose my *** over this and have to go back working for "corporate entities." I was 60 days (16 hour days) into a huge project on that server and lost 45 of them in a blink of an eye not to mention the lost week of time not to mention the "other clients" websites.

So just a word of warning from someone that lost everything due to a poor host - stay far far far away from webintellects.com!

P.S. I have been trying to load a 131k index.html file for about 3 hours now! Not kidding at all! This is not a joke.

I will be compiling my resume now

A good customer of ours that post here pointed me to this post. After doing some research, it seems John Schutz with Internet Pros Online (www.internetprosonline.com) has been busy finding ever review outlet and posting his displeasure. Since John decided to post some things on a few review sites and forums, I have decided to respond with some details to clarify our side on the matter. I normally do not reply to reviews as everyone is entitled to their opinion. However this one really struck a nerve with me. Not only for the vindictive nature of John and his numerous reviews (one place he posted "Webintellects Bites the big one" - real professionalism from a businessman), but also for the fact he cleverly left out some important details and facts.

The first thing is we were very sorry for the RAID card failure. I wish things like these did not happen. I have been running WebIntellects since 1999. I have not sold and have not brought in any outside funding. The reason is I wish to maintain control and provide the best service possible like most web host on these forums. It really causes me pain with online services fail. Unfortunately RAID cards are a single point of failure for the VPS hosting John is paying for. Why his VPS was not backed up while others were on that physical server was not identified until later. We have updated our system and learned from this error. While we still believe clients should back up their own data and have their own copies, we are still putting more time and money into providing full VPS backups and ensure they are available.

With that being said, I do want to point out a few things from our stand point:

1) John is still a client of ours. So it seems his displeasure was not enough to get him to move. If someone is so upset about service, why would they continue to pay for their services? Maybe services are not as bad as stated?

2) He opened a ticket regarding speed on his VPS. We end up finding out his "VPS was hacked through an insecure web application." he loaded. Even though he loaded an unsecured web application (which would scare me if I were one of his clients), my staff spent a lot of time fixing the issue and cleaning things up so we did not have to wipe out his VPS and do a fresh install since it was hacked. I did not see John pointing this out when commenting on our service.

3) We helped him on a few occasions properly install and troubleshoot oscommerce for his clients. Even though Internet Pros Online offers ecommerce design services, WebIntellects still assisted him down to the client level when he opened tickets.

4) John is somehow trying to hold us accountable for his failures in maintaining a backup of his clients data. Sorry John, but good web design firms maintain backups of their clients data. Everyone knows that the customer is ultimately responsible for their data. I would have hoped as an "Internet Pro" you would have understood this. The most basic concept with web design or any other computer data related work - back it up! If you do not want to do backups, then pay for managed backup services that we offer or that other third parties offer.

5) ALL tickets that were opened by John were addressed quickly and professionally. Most times the replies to support from John was "Thanks!" here are a few more quotes:
    "That was fast I did not even get to submit my ticket "
    "Wow that explains it! Chalk it off to too much work to do otherwise known as idiot syndrome Thanks! Gawd i'm so embarrassed!"
    "Thanks Gilbert I don't know what I would have done without you! Sorry for the "working too much" stupidity on my part."

All data above was taken directly from support tickets. Since John posted online, WebIntellects has every right to use all support data to assist in clarifying some posted data. Also, WebIntellects has a policy that if you wish to post online your reviews, we will have every right to respond with mutually available data from support tickets. Don't think you will post anonymously and not be held accountable.

Lets start a new thread for this one shall we?

>> I will be compiling my resume now

Have some respect why don't you, the guys treat you well and you thank them with this all over the internet?

Ungrateful "pro".
    Website Design and Marketing in France
    www.SagaNET.fr

This will be a simple court case from now on

See you in court

Response point by point

1) John is still a client of ours. So it seems his displeasure was not enough to get him to move. If someone is so upset about service, why would they continue to pay for their services? Maybe services are not as bad as stated?

Answer: Bad things will not last forever I will take my $83 a month somewhere else - ooops! I have Wiredtree!

2) He opened a ticket regarding speed on his VPS. We end up finding out his "VPS was hacked through an insecure web application." he loaded. Even though he loaded an unsecured web application (which would scare me if I were one of his clients), my staff spent a lot of time fixing the issue and cleaning things up so we did not have to wipe out his VPS and do a fresh install since it was hacked. I did not see John pointing this out when commenting on our service.

Answer: Its ok to fabricate isn't Hillary?

3) We helped him on a few occasions properly install and troubleshoot oscommerce for his clients. Even though Internet Pros Online offers ecommerce design services, WebIntellects still assisted him down to the client level when he opened tickets.

Answer: You were lucky to even anser the phone let alon actually "help" someone - What A Joke!

4) John is somehow trying to hold us accountable for his failures in maintaining a backup of his clients data. Sorry John, but good web design firms maintain backups of their clients data. Everyone knows that the customer is ultimately responsible for their data. I would have hoped as an "Internet Pro" you would have understood this. The most basic concept with web design or any other computer data related work - back it up! If you do not want to do backups, then pay for managed backup services that we offer or that other third parties offer.

Answer: It is posted on your website www.webintellects.com that you are a managed VPS and that you do weekly backups. Maybe its just that the management is lacking. Read it for yourself http://webintellects.com/solutions/linuxvpsplans.htm

5) ALL tickets that were opened by John were addressed quickly and professionally. Most times the replies to support from John was "Thanks!" here are a few more quotes:
    "That was fast I did not even get to submit my ticket "
    "Wow that explains it! Chalk it off to too much work to do otherwise known as idiot syndrome Thanks! Gawd i'm so embarrassed!"
    "Thanks Gilbert I don't know what I would have done without you! Sorry for the "working too much" stupidity on my part."

Answer: Like this ticket
    =================================================
    Customer Account Number: 3514
    Customer Name: John Schutz
    Company: Internet Pros Online

Ticket Number: 57551
    Ticket Status: Open >>> Awaiting Reply
    Ticket Opened On: Mon. Jul 09, 2007 18:16
    Ticket Assigned To: Kalai Mani
    URL To Ticket: http://cm.controlmaestro.com/cmwi/?ticketid=57551

Catagory: Domain Names
    Problem Area:
    Domain Name: none

***Problem/Issue***
    -------------------------------------------------
    Hi I was just wondering how much more time before the following domains are added to the dns. I made the request at 9:30pm last night. Can you please email me when they are added.

Thanks!
    John Schutz

Webintellects wrote:
    "All data above was taken directly from support tickets. Since John posted online, WebIntellects has every right to use all support data to assist in clarifying some posted data. Also, WebIntellects has a policy that if you wish to post online your reviews, we will have every right to respond with mutually available data from support tickets. Don't think you will post anonymously and not be held accountable."

Answer: That my friend is a two way street and here is my posting for the world of web developers and webmasters to see and learn from about the so called managed VPS and the truth about the lie that "WebIntellects offers one of the best managed VPS services around." The backup was 45 days old when your site claims to have "RAID 5, Full Server Backups -Weekly " Again the link --> http://webintellects.com/solutions/linuxvpsplans.htm

Hello,

As you are most likely aware the physical server that is hosting your VPS has failed. The RAID card went bad and crashed the server. We are sorry but we were unable to get the physical server to rebuild RAID to fix this issue. Since the RAID card was bad it basically corrupted all the data. We had hoped we could install a new card and some drives and get it to rebuild, but it failed. Unfortunately the latest back we have is from 30 days ago. It looks like the RAID card issue was also effecting the automated backups that move a mirror copy of client VPSs to another server. Right now we are turning those backup VPSs online and you will need to restore your data from your own backups.

While are very sorry for this issue. Unfortunately we have seen RAID cards fail over the years. However we have not seen it affect backups. So when it does happen, we are able to turn on backups 24 hours old like we have in the past. This time we do not have this luxury.

Please contact me directly with questions you have.
    [email protected]

Sincerely,

Leonard Geiger
    President
    WebIntellects, Inc.

45 day old backups?!

This will be the last I reply to this. My point has been made.

Regarding 1) Thanks to the threat of law suits we can speed that process along. Thanks John.

Regarding 2) I simply go with the truth. No sense embellishing. We leave that to you. Should this be an issue, I will be more then happy to post the entire ticket. I think that is simple enough.

Regarding 3) Embellishing again. The important thing is how fast we respond to tickets John and address them. Here are the details you left out:

Problem Description Added on : Mon. Jul 09, 2007 18:16 Added by: John Schutz
    Progress Added on : Mon. Jul 09, 2007 18:43 Added By : Zach Roberts [ Employee ]
    Progress Added on : Mon. Jul 09, 2007 19:45 Added By : Gilbert Samson [ Employee ]

This issue was addressed and closed out with in 1 1/2 hours.

John, let me know if you want me to post more response times in regards to our support. I will be happy to.

Regarding 4) Backups are ultimately your responsibility. Had you run proper backups of your design projects, the issue would not be about the 45 days.

And for reference, yes, it was a failure on our end to not have backups. I have no problems admitting that. Even though we state we run weekly backups, they are actually done nightly. They are also validated. Your files were being moved and showed completed. For reasons we have been now able to correct, your files would not over-write an old backup from 45 days prior. In fact a few VPS clients on that server had the same issue. We have hosted 1000s of VPSs. Backups are a lot of work. This is one area we are constantly improving. But with that being said, our Terms are clear "No guarantees are made of any kind, either expressed or implied, as to the integrity of these backups.". If you want to protect your data, back it up yourself or pay for managed backups. I am still amazed you develop sites and do not maintain copies of them for your clients.

My main issue here is two fold. One - we have a client that was upset about his backup failures. We are sorry for that issue and we made amends with our clients effected. John seemed to want to tell the world about his displeasure and do so in a childish, vindictive way. Two - John, in order to support his point of view completely embellished and exaggerate other issues. In some reviews he simply made up facts. This is the issue I have with his reviews. Tell the truth and post facts. Be a professional.

John is a wordy fellow as seen here. So you can guess he has no issues opening up support tickets. On one of his accounts his last ticket was:

"Problem Description Added on : Tue. Mar 27, 2007 12:00 Added by: John Schutz"

That's right. For a guy having such bad services, he has not had a support issue since March 27 of LAST YEAR!

John, please move on to your new host as you stated. We honestly wish you luck. And to WiredTree - enjoy.
    Last edited by BeDifferentSolutions; 02-24-2008 at 01:53 AM.

*/subscribes to thread
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

I was 60 days (16 hour days) into a huge project on that server and lost 45 of them in a blink of an eye
    How can a sane person invest 720 hours of work and not make a backup on a computer local to them?

you should change this:
    So just a word of warning from someone that lost everything due to a [failed server]
    to:
    So just a word of warning from someone who lost everything due to lack of personal backup and storing 720 hours of work on a remote server I have never seen, have no control over, and no way to verify the backup or redundancies in place.