Virtual Desktop InfraStructure on the cheap.

Has anyone setup a low cost virtual desktop infrastructure using multiple Windows XP installs on VMWware Server, and if so did it work out for you? If you have any tech specs could you put them here as well.

I am looking to install 10-20 XP installations across a VMWare Server (the free one) Running on 2 or 3 physical servers with probably 384-512mb Ram per each one.

Then the users would just use RDP to connect up to them. The clients are located in 5 offices within 60 miles of the datacenter they will be in. So latency on RDP won't be too bad.

Thoughts?

P.S. I appologize if it is the wrong sub-forum but its not exactly a VPS.

I am looking to install 10-20 XP installations across a VMWare Server (the free one) Running on 2 or 3 physical servers with probably 384-512mb Ram per each one.
    This is way too little ram if you're talking about per server. You should be looking at at least 256MB of ram per instance.

Then the users would just use RDP to connect up to them. The clients are located in 5 offices within 60 miles of the datacenter they will be in. So latency on RDP won't be too bad.
    Yes, the latency would be bad. It'll be bearable, but bad.

With only 10-20 instances, you're probably better off just buying the hardware to run Windows locally, unless you have some really compelling reason not to.