localized blackouts -- what can you do

I'm experiencing a blackout from my dedicated server @ Hostdime right now, but my monitoring service suggests that the service is up and my customers' websites are operating normally. But me, I can't even access Hostdime's corporate site, let alone the online helpdesk or my WHM/Cpanel. Traceroutes from other parts of the country, look healthy. But traceroutes from my home office die at the 12th hop at some level3.net node.

This sort of thing has happened to me before, and I feel helpless whenever it does, because Hostdime will say it's not their problem, and my ISP will say the same thing. What can be done??

If the problem actually is a hop that's not controlled be either HostDime or your ISP there really isn't anything you can do. Just hope Level3 fixes the problem sooner rather than later.

You will still want to try to contact your ISP and somehow get them a copy of a traceroute to your server. Changing their advertisements to not use Level 3 may get your connectivity back.
    - Donovan K
    Want to monitor and manage your customers Windows systems by Client software, web portal, or mobile phone?
    Automated scripts, patching, and remote access too? Ask me how!

Quote Originally Posted by dspkable View Post
    You will still want to try to contact your ISP and somehow get them a copy of a traceroute to your server. Changing their advertisements to not use Level 3 may get your connectivity back.
    Level3 was having an issue in our part of the country today. It lasted approximately 1.5 hours. To resolve it, we turned down our BGP session with them.

Most likely, that is the issue that was affecting HostDime.
    E Solutions by WOW! Business
    Collocation, DR, VMWare Hosting in our Data Centers
    SSAE-16 Type II Certified with locations in Tampa, FL and Columbus, OH
    Call Now! 813-301-2600

Issues such as this are an excellent opportunity to walk away from the computer and do something in the 3D world. And I am only partly teasing.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by eshutter View Post
    What can be done??
    You can stick your head out the window and yell "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore!!"

Won't fix your technical issue, but it might make you feel a little better.