Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Best Secure Domain Registar Provider

Hi,

I'm just wondering who you guys think is the securest domain registar, as for , people not being able to get your account information and login to your account etc.. ?

As I've had issues with Godaddy, and Namealerts

Thanks

I think this should go to the Domain Names Forum.

Have you tried Namecheap?
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

I have personally used Enom for my domains and I am happy with them.
    iHubNet Ltd - Premium Hosting Solutions 4 ALL
    Solid Support Solid Equipment Solid Network
    Shared Hosting / Reseller Hosting / Managed Server
    Matt A.

Quote Originally Posted by HastyHost View Post
    I'm just wondering who you guys think is the securest domain registar, as for , people not being able to get your account information and login to your account etc.. ?
    If you have "unwanted guests" in your computer like malware and keyloggers, no registrar can prevent others from being able to get your account information that way.

Now in terms of people contacting your registrar to try getting into your account, various registrars like Go Daddy, eNom, even Network Solutions, NameCheap and Moniker are able to handle that. But since you said you had issues with Go Daddy, I guess you can scratch them off your personal list.

http://www.markmonitor.com/ (Yahoo, Google, GM, Apple )

www.networksolutions.com (IBM, Walmart, Shell, Texaco )
    Last edited by dotHostel; 02-12-2008 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dotHostel View Post
    http://www.markmonitor.com/ (Yahoo, Google, GM, Apple )

www.networksolutions.com (IBM, Walmart, Shell, Texaco )
    Thanks for that information, will help a lot.

www.Fabulous.com, use their executive lock.
    Kevin Ohashi - Founder of ReviewSignal.com - Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Check out my 2021 WordPress Hosting Performance Benchmarks, the most comprehensive look at WP hosting performance

Best Secure Domain Registrar Provider now is Moniker!

Moniker has the best reputation amongst domainers for being the securest registrar. They claim never to have had a domain stolen. As kohashi said, Fabulous are also secure with their executive lock turned on.
    Signature Under Construction.

Quote Originally Posted by stu2 View Post
    Moniker has the best reputation amongst domainers for being the securest registrar. They claim never to have had a domain stolen. As kohashi said, Fabulous are also secure with their executive lock turned on.
    Moniker was just bought out by Oversee.... which may bring a lot of mixed feelings to some.
    Kevin Ohashi - Founder of ReviewSignal.com - Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Check out my 2021 WordPress Hosting Performance Benchmarks, the most comprehensive look at WP hosting performance

Quote Originally Posted by iHubNet-Matt View Post
    I have personally used Enom for my domains and I am happy with them.
    ditto.
    I think with most of these, your account should be pretty secure, UnLess someone gets your access info, so double check your own PC security.

I've had a domain stolen out of my eNom account.

Quote Originally Posted by stu2 View Post
    I've had a domain stolen out of my eNom account.
    May I ask how that happened?

Quote Originally Posted by kohashi View Post
    www.Fabulous.com, use their executive lock.
    An other advantage from Fabulous is that they are not US based. Some may see this as a disadvantage, I see it as an advantage as you are a little bit better protected from the US law...

Quote Originally Posted by coax View Post
    ditto, I'm very interested in how this could happen.

Ive never had any probems with the following registers:

MyDomain.com
    Moniker
    Dotster

Quote Originally Posted by coax View Post
    I bought a domain from their auction house, Club Drop. They pushed the domain to my eNom account without removing the domain password. The previous owner logged into the domain via access.enom.com and changed all the contact details and email to himself. Then they called eNom, to get the auth code and asked them to unlock the domain. eNom knew what was done, but refused to file a reclaim at the new registrar. They claimed that NOT erasing the password was a feature not a bug. Sometime later however, the changed their mind and "fixed" their feature. At no time in my discourse with eNom did they ever tell me the truth. All their communications were lies and obfuscations. Until they told me they would refund my purchase price, which was 100% against Club Drop's ToS (no refunds under any circumstances). They did this because it was easier and cheaper to refund me than to admit any fault and file for a reclaim at the new registrar. That's eNom for you.

This was painful for me to bring up.

I would like to thank you very much for bringing this to light. It was very informative.

Same here, thanks for sharing that.

Me too. Thanks for sharing this with us.
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

In addition to stu2's experience I would like to mention that some registrars don't change the auth-code after a transfer. That can be a security problem as your old registrar still has the auth-code or if you got the domain from someone else they still have it.
    I know that it was like that with Dotster around a year ago but don't know if it's still like that.

Quote Originally Posted by rony View Post
    In addition to stu2's experience I would like to mention that some registrars don't change the auth-code after a transfer. That can be a security problem as your old registrar still has the auth-code or if you got the domain from someone else they still have it.
    I know that it was like that with Dotster around a year ago but don't know if it's still like that.
    IF you have your domain locked - will it still coz a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey this way! View Post
    IF you have your domain locked - will it still coz a problem?
    No, then not... but still better to check the auth-code after a transfer and change it if it's still the same one. Don't risk anything.

Quote Originally Posted by rony View Post
    No, then not... but still better to check the auth-code after a transfer and change it if it's still the same one. Don't risk anything.
    Thanks

Will keep that in mind.

For those of you who use moniker, if you transfer a domain to them, does it effect your website's uptime, such as, do you have to update your nameservers on moniker or are they already updated? I've never transfered a domain, so not sure how that works, and it may be the same way for any domain registar, so any feedback is welcome.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast