HostGator reviews?

Can you please comment this and share your own experiences (good and bad) with Hostgator. Read the second post.

Klik

Looking for some reviews on HG? Look no further!
    The OP is unhappy with HG suspending a site/account of his. He wants second opinions.

Mine is that HG, like most (responsible) hosts out there isn't suspending sites on a whim. If they pose threat to server stability, then action must usually be swift. You can't have hundreds of end users, as would be the case with a resellers server, suffer performance degradation or worse, downtime, due to server overload. So, it's action first, notification later.

That being said, not all hosting environments are the same, not all hosts are equally tough or lax when it comes to these issues, so in theory at least, some other host might be a better fit for your sites and needs. Then again, shared hosting does come with the limitation described above, and if your site has some really high usage peaks (generated by high traffic or not), you could very well find yourself in the same situation.

I don`t think that I would cross HGs limitations. I have a few sites with about 100 visits per day each. I am more concerned about my customers. I want to offer them stable hosting for fair price. I wouldn`t oversell.

What are the most common cases for being suspended (in practise)? About what should I be careful that they would`t suspend my (and all of my customers) account?

I wouldn`t oversell.
    You can't oversell, as HG's reseller accounts have that feature disabled.

I have a few sites with about 100 visits per day each
    That doesn't sound dangerous at all. I don't imagine that creating issues.

About what should I be careful that they would`t suspend my (and all of my customers) account?
    They won't suspend your entire reseller account and all your customers' accounts, just the one that's causing issues.

I won;t say that Hostgator haven't had some issues, but generally it comes across as a professional outfit who's main issues are:

1. Expanding a little too fast
    2. Customers expecting far too much

That was pretty much summarised here:
    http://www.webhostingworld.co.uk/for...gator-136.html

The original link concerns a mass move of accounts, and really doesn't sound like a Hostgator issue - the customer expected to move 19 reseller accounts immediately, rather than make a prior arrangement with Hostgator.

With that in mind, much as anyone can appreciate the hassle, it's hard to call it Hostgator's fault.

Additionally, the second post deals with the generic "site suspended for being unsuitable for a shared hosting environment", which again is not something you can blame on HG IMO.

2c.

I think that I am too concerned about what could go wrong... I am planing to start reseller business and run it correctly. Step by step. Thank you for your answers.

if you really want to get into hosting accounts dont be under a middle man, yes hg has been around and with i think 22 servers from the planet if you have experiance go to the actual host and get set up and do your home work

Sorry to hear that but I would try contacting HG for an exact reason as to why your account has been suspended.

I think you'll find HG has alot more than 22 servers at the planet.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

I have been with Host Gator for over a year, and I am very happy with their services in general.

The issue with their reseller accounts not being overselling enabled is a bit of an issue if you want to take advantage of possible excess data. However, that being said, they claim they do not oversell their reseller servers at all. I like that from the stability aspect, but it will limit you in the size of bandwidth and storage you can theoretically offer in your account offerings.

On the flip side, HG does offer alot of extras for free with the reseller accounts. This includes free high quality templates, free billing software, a free domain reseller account, and site design software. You might not need all of that, but they are nice added extras.

One limitation of shared accounts as well as reseller accounts is they usually have a limit set to how many concurrent connections are allowed to apache as well as mysql. This is a way of limiting the number of users able to access the accounts concurrently to avoid server overload issues. This should not be a cause for concern unless you have a site that is going to have alot of traffic as well as many concurrent users. If you are going to have that issue, a reseller or shared account is probably not the best choice for that site. In that case I would recomend going with a VPS or even going dedicated. As recomended earlier in the thread, if you are serious about this and know how to administer a server, you might want to go straight to the source and buy a server in a facility that will let you bypass the middle man.

Hope this helps.

If you are looking for a great hosting company that offers 24 x 7 chat support HG will fit the bill. I think the 24 x 7 chat support is very important when you are running a reseller company because it means that you will be able to obtain instant help for your end users in the event they experience technical issues.
    Last edited by arcanix; 02-16-2008 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sky2k4 View Post
    if you really want to get into hosting accounts dont be under a middle man, yes hg has been around and with i think 22 servers from the planet if you have experiance go to the actual host and get set up and do your home work

Oh, they have FAR more than 22 servers now I wouldn't be surprised if they're planning to open their own datacenter soon.
    SHAW NETWORKS Simple. Professional. Reliable. Web Hosting Done Right.
    Low Cost & Award-Winning: cPanel Reseller Plans 24/7/365 Live Technical Support
    Website: www.shawnetworks.com Fast Response E-mail: sales @ shawnetworks.com
    Sick of downtime? Fed up with excuses? Drop your host! Switch to Shaw Networks.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaw Networks View Post
    Oh, they have FAR more than 22 servers now I wouldn't be surprised if they're planning to open their own datacenter soon.
    Yea, they have thousands of servers

Actually I remember on their forums there was talk about them opening a DC years ago. I can't remember where the thread was but I think they concluded they weren't going to at that time.