XFS fs optimization

I hosted users files on a xfs partition.
    I use SATA II disks, and sometimes load is increased when ftp activity is intensive.

Drive where users files are hosted returns values like

hdparm -Tt /dev/sdb

/dev/sdb:
    Timing cached reads: 5050 MB in 2.00 seconds = 2528.72 MB/sec
    Timing buffered disk reads: 4 MB in 3.30 seconds = 1.21 MB/sec

I noticed a load increase specially when I delete a directory with many small files.
    Anyone knows some ways to optimyze a xfs partition?

How much work was the server doing at the time you ran hdparm and got 1.21MB/sec? thats a pretty low number, hdparm really has nothing to do with xfs,ext3 etc... it is not looking at the filesystem.... that is showing you a performance issue before the filesystem layer... which i guess could mean filesystem activity is the cause, but that takes me back to, how much is the server doing right now. iostat -d 1 -k , what kind of activity do you see on the block device.

Is SDB a single drive or a raid array? is it possible the raid array is broken. how large is the xfs partition?

Thanks for repply!
    I had initially ext3 but I reached the 32k sublevel directories limit and I was forced to migrate data to xfs as ext4 is under development. Now, with just 30k dirs, xfs performs not as good as ext3. I didn't had this issue with ext3.

Drive is secondary not raid, 500GB in size, with one partition. I know hdparm has nothing to do with this, it just measure the performance. When http/ftp are stopped
    Timing buffered disk reads shows up to 80MB/sec. Usually it is 20-30 and sometimes near 1MB/s.

I repeat, I have these problems after I migrated to xfs even with few thousands of directories less. With ext3 I had constantly 50-60MB/sec.

Unfortunately xfs is slow when deleting files. Can you switch back to ext3 and spread your files over multiple directories?
    -Mark Adams
    www.bitserve.com - Secure Michigan web hosting for your business.
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.
    Offering advanced server management and security incident response!

Hmm, I prefer to wait until ext4 will be mature. Fedora 9 developers working on it and will be realeasead in about 3 months.