Should I go with "org" or get a plural form domain?

Hello everyone,
    I have onething that I would like to ask your ideas.
    I want to open a new website. and I searched the domains for it. The results are

-websiteiwant.com/net are listed as priminium domain and very expensive
    -The following are left
    websiteiwant.biz
    websiteiwant.org
    and
    websiteiwantS.com/net/org/info(plural form)

I have done some search and realized that there is no website of this nich and I want to go with"websiteiwant.org"
    because my site is intended to be free.
    My question are
    - the owner of the "com/net" might claim that I take his name by using the "org"
    - There is no site on the "com/net" now but if I open my site and develop it and the the "com/net" are opened with their sites. Does the search engine go to the "com/net" instead of going to my site "org"?
    -Should I take the plural form instead of the "org" in this case?
    Thanks in advance and sorry for my poor English

I would actually say it depends on the word.. "dragons.com" is just as cool as "dragon.com" if not even better.

Secondly if I were you I would choose a different name if com/net/info/whatever is taken, which it looks like they are.
    Using the exact same name on .org is not a wise idea unless the com/net is not in use or is very little in size.
    You typically always want the .com for your name..

As for search engines, as far as I can tell from the way google ranks pages, they can rank any TLD at the top, depending on how many backlinks the domain has and the other factors that make up pagerank. That wouldn't be my primary concern. (Example: imageshack.us)

Quote Originally Posted by coax View Post
    I would actually say it depends on the word.. "dragons.com" is just as cool as "dragon.com" if not even better.

Secondly if I were you I would choose a different name if com/net/info/whatever is taken, which it looks like they are.
    Using the exact same name on .org is not a wise idea unless the com/net is not in use or is very little in size.
    You typically always want the .com for your name..

As for search engines, as far as I can tell from the way google ranks pages, they can rank any TLD at the top, depending on how many backlinks the domain has and the other factors that make up pagerank. That wouldn't be my primary concern. (Example: imageshack.us)

Thanks for your reply!

I would like to make it a little clearer,

-The domain name I want to take is

a" countryname" portal.org

the a "countryname" portal.com/net/info were registered but they are not in used now. They are for sale however they are too expensive!

a" countryname" portals.com/net/org/biz are still left.

Should I go with the "portalS.com" ?

Or should I go with something like this:

-"countryname" talk forum.com (countrynameforum/talk are taken)
    -"countryname" note.com
    -"countryname" entrance.com
    -"countryname" reference.com

I want to build a portal about that "country". It will contain a forum/ link/download/business directory ...
    Last edited by vnjporg; 02-12-2008 at 12:26 AM.

So it's 'chinaportal.com' vs 'chinaportals.com'? (as an example)

In that case I don't think chinaportals.com sounds good, from an esthetical/spoken perspective.
    That's just my opinion, but usually it is ONE portal and it's not common at all.. One website is referred to as one portal..

Thanks again for your idea!
    so should I go with the "org"? or should I go with some domains I list above?

Thanks

I like countryreference.com..

Some others you can try are

countryguide.com
    countryindex.com
    countrydirectory.com
    countrydirect.com

etc etc.. you're gonna have to choose yourself which you like better.

I also think the countryportal.org is nice though..

Quote Originally Posted by coax View Post
    I like countryreference.com..

Some others you can try are

countryguide.com
    countryindex.com
    countrydirectory.com
    countrydirect.com

etc etc.. you're gonna have to choose yourself which you like better.

I also think the countryportal.org is nice though..
    Thank you very much!
    I might go with the "org" and the "biz" (inorder if I want to open a business on the same topic later) because all of those you listed above are taken(Many other ones like that are taken too).

Due do it being a free site, and many open source projects use .org too, I don't see anything wrong with using it as main site. Besides 'portal' looks good on anything.

Thanks again!
    I have ordered both the org and biz
    Have a good day. i will post here when I open my site.

I would like to let you know that I have open my site here
    www.vietnamportal.org

Thank you very much for your help.

Nice looking site

I've always been a big .org fan. One certain domain I've owned for over a decade now and registered it back when .com and .net of the same name were not registered. I still remember the days when domains were free.