Server/Design Recommendations

Need some suggestions from the experts I currently colo a single server (1K transfer allowance) at C4D for a fairly large VB forum. While we have not exactly grown out of it just yet, we do have some periodic slowdowns during peak times, but nothing to serious as loads typically stay below 2.

Here are the current specs:

Forum:
    3M posts (about 2.5K/day), 200K threads, 1-1.5K online peak, 30 min cookie, 120K members, 50GB attachments, another 15GB gallery in filesystem

Web stats:
    Visits: 10-12K/Day, Pages: 2M/Day, Hits: 3M/Day,

MySql Stats (last 7 days):
    Received: 13GB, Sent: 1157GB, Max Concurrent Connections: 300, Failed: 0, Aborted: 275 Queries: Avg 90/sec (not sure on peak)

Current Server:
    SM w/Dual Opteron 270's, 8G ram, Adaptec 4800SAS with 4 36G 15K SAS drives raid 10 and 2 147G 15k raid 1 for OS/swap. on RHEL 4.1 64.

The server is going on 2 years old, and I'm thinking about the typical 3 year life span, as well as planning future needs. I plan to open up a number of additional forums in the very near future. I could see 5 to 6K + users online across multiple forums by years end if things go according to plan.

I prefer simplicity in the final solutions and would like a little more redundancy. I'll be using Chong at Apaq for the hardware purchases with a budget of about 10K more or less. Having said that, what are your opinions and suggestions on the way forward as far as server(s) spec and design?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jan_bw.gif  

Go xeon-based(quad-core) with sas drives and the faster RAM. You'll be fine.

Kind Regards,

Yes, agree with karl, go xeon, and my addition for os try to use freebsd.. i like this os very much, it fast....

Can you provide the partition tables of the server? Sometimes a better partitioning scheme will actually increase the performance of a database driven site.
    data center directory - The comprehensive data center resource. Version 2.0 coming soon!

Quote Originally Posted by talkwebhosts View Post
    Can you provide the partition tables of the server? Sometimes a better partitioning scheme will actually increase the performance of a database driven site.
    Only if you have separate spindles per group/drive/partition.

I'm ok with the old server, I've tweaked it to death

Pouring thru many posts and such, there seems to be some different avenues to take.

I was thinking to pick up a faster, more powerful DB server to replace what I have now and run a seperate web server. I can use the old server as a Mysql slave and run searches and stuff off it.

Other options would be the dual web server approach, or even dual web server and a separate image server. Then I'd also have to deal with HA LVS as well as keeping things in sync.

Just not sure on what would be best at this point considering the expected growth with the new sites.