Legally allowed to do this?

Hi,

I have a large forum which I want to move from my current host as the forum has grinded to a halt because of to much lag.

I have given them the chance to fix the problem and they blame the forum for the issue, but the forum has been running a long time with no issues and all of a sudden this happens. DB reports good and the forum works but VERY VERY laggy.

A host attempted to make the move. But it seems they are doing all the can to block the move. The move has been happening for almost 2 days now.

The hosting bill is monthly and paid every month without fail.

Can this legally happen without good cause. I would not mind if they give me a reason for it. But the last ticket I sent in when I noticed the problem has not been responded to.

Any help appreciated.

Well if you know for sure they are trying to stop you from moving somewhere else, then that would be pretty unprofessional of them. Mind mentioning who they are?

That is not legal. They have no right to prevent you from moving.
    How are they trying to prevent you from moving?
    Also, is this a huge forum?
    iHubNet Ltd - Premium Hosting Solutions 4 ALL
    Solid Support Solid Equipment Solid Network
    Shared Hosting / Reseller Hosting / Managed Server
    Matt A.

How can you say a host is blocking the move ? It might be just taking so much time to transfer away a big forums, with files and stuff. Or the tarring might be causing excessive loads on your host, which would mean ofcourse blocking it for sake of other clients.

So have you talked to your host about it ?

What is the size of your database? Chances are that backing up the database is putting a load on the server. I had to back up one of my databses in chunks by exported a few tables at a time during my last move becasue every attempt at exporting a full backup resulted in corrupt data.

If you look at the tables you will more than likely see a couple large tables. Export those tables by themselves manually. The database I was exporting was about 500mb. It may also be a good time to prune the forums to decrease the size of the DB.

Quote Originally Posted by rrhodes View Post
    What is the size of your database? Chances are that backing up the database is putting a load on the server. I had to back up one of my databses in chunks by exported a few tables at a time during my last move becasue every attempt at exporting a full backup resulted in corrupt data.

If you look at the tables you will more than likely see a couple large tables. Export those tables by themselves manually. The database I was exporting was about 500mb. It may also be a good time to prune the forums to decrease the size of the DB.
    This sounds very likely, and in that case your old host is able to make a dump of your database for you, just ask them politely to help. (which of course does not help much if they do not respond).

Quote Originally Posted by rrhodes View Post

I don't see why the size of a database would have anything to do with corrupting on a backup and transfer. I've dumped and transferred databases almost twice that size with no problems, although I don't use cpanel or phpmyadmin when I'm dealing with databases of that size.
    Peakhost.com Hosting
    Quality hosting since 2001
    http://peakhost.com

Quote Originally Posted by iHubNet-Matt View Post
    That is not legal. They have no right to prevent you from moving.
    How are they trying to prevent you from moving?
    Also, is this a huge forum?

The host can legally block access to anyone they want to their servers, and I bet to even their customers.

Just make a backup of your website and move to another host. I don't understand how can the prevent you from this.
    HighLayer - Canadian Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting & Dedicated Servers
    Latest cPanel/WHM - 99.9% Uptime Guarantee - 30 Day Money Back Guarantee - 24/7 Support
    Visit www.highlayer.com or Call 1-888-84-LAYER

Can this legally happen without good cause.
    The trouble with legal and illegal online is enforcement. Are you willing to sue?

But it seems they are doing all the can to block the move. The move has been happening for almost 2 days now.
    Migrations are likely to be troublesome when a server is overloaded (as you're suggesting). I doubt they're actively trying to prevent you from changing hosts and getting your data.