Angry Frozen Midnight Hosting - Experience/Advice

Hi, I thought it was best to share my experience here and maybe some advice too. It is a long read but hopefully you can have a read through it.

First of all, I was one of there many 'attacks to their server' which a lot of people were wrongly accused of DDOS attacks etc in June/July 2007 (Funny it was all at the same time these people were accused). I was then cleared from the accusations as it appeared it wasn't me that done the attacks after all (same with many others). I was only a 'blogger' and was totally shocked by the accusations.

My account was back to normal, hosting resumed. But I personally decided not to continue with them any longer so when it came to renewing the domain in November 2007 I decided not too but I hadn't cancelled the PayPal subscription which yes was my fault but the subscription was charged, this was then refunded by FMH as a good will gesture. I then cancelled the subscription as advised by them. Everything was fine but a month later I was then charged by PayPal via credit card as subscription was cancelled and payment refused by my bank.

I have been emailing Jamie Timbre (The owner) trying to get this sorted as soon as possible. But each time I am advised that he has contacted his 'other departments' to look into this matter and he will be in touch. But I wait and wait and its me that has to get in touch again - 4 months is just silly.

I was told by him in December that he would issue the refund but due to christmas holidays it will be a bit into January before it is processed, this never happened.

No matter what way it is put, FMH have my money and I have no hosting nor a refund, it's really as simple as that. I am out of pocket and paid for something I am not getting, where
    they have gained.

Now I know it wasn't exactly them that charged me the second time but surely if I was advised by them to cancel the subscription then they should have cancelled the invoice which was still pending a whole month after I cancelled the subscription?

I emailed this morning for any followup with this but the response was a much different approach to Decembers offer of a refund:

Apparently this is still in processing.
    Because you did not cancel with PayPal, you were charged. It is as simple as that. It has nothing to do with us charging you.
    I have sent another email to our finance administrator.

Thank you,

Jamie M. Timbre
    I honestly cannot see why this dispute is still ongoing. Is there anything I should do? It's only $20 but I'm not willing to let it go.

Thanks for reading, any advice would be great.

James

I remember some dude hosting with me with same issue, if you fail to cancel your subscription and get charged or have to pay some bank fee (in ur case doesnt seem to be the case) you and only you are responsible, cause as a host it becomes hard if we go on checking our paypal account trying to find the subscription link for particular client out of like thousands of payments !!

But a refund should not be an issue, i would refund if thats just what you are after, but any extra fees charged by your bank or cc company would not be the liability of your host !!

Quote Originally Posted by Energizer Bunny View Post
    I remember some dude hosting with me with same issue, if you fail to cancel your subscription and get charged or have to pay some bank fee (in ur case doesnt seem to be the case) you and only you are responsible, cause as a host it becomes hard if we go on checking our paypal account trying to find the subscription link for particular client out of like thousands of payments !!

But a refund should not be an issue, i would refund if thats just what you are after, but any extra fees charged by your bank or cc company would not be the liability of your host !!
    Thanks for the response, I have no extra fees charged to me by my bank or cc company, I had the correct amount of money to cover the payment my issue is mainly the refund. They offered me this, closed my account but kept the payment!

I would suggest maybe doing a chargeback with your bank. I personally agree $20.00 is not that big of a deal and he should just refund you back your money. I personally think its kind of funny that he has to discuss this with his finance admin as i'm sure the owner(James) can make this decision on his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt.G View Post
    I would suggest maybe doing a chargeback with your bank. I personally agree $20.00 is not that big of a deal and he should just refund you back your money. I personally think its kind of funny that he has to discuss this with his finance admin as i'm sure the owner(James) can make this decision on his own.
    I'm not sure a charge back would work as it was in December and the payment was to paypal account. I think you only have a certain amount of time, I just trusted it would have been done by now since I was told by FMH it would be refunded. I'm just totally annoyed that they see it as being "you were charged it's as simple as that" when clearly it isn't. If I was charged then where is my hosting? I asked for a refund which was offered but then they don't provide? Ridiculous!

Quote Originally Posted by James G View Post
    I'm not sure a charge back would work as it was in December and the payment was to paypal account. I think you only have a certain amount of time, I just trusted it would have been done by now since I was told by FMH it would be refunded. I'm just totally annoyed that they see it as being "you were charged it's as simple as that" when clearly it isn't. If I was charged then where is my hosting? I asked for a refund which was offered but then they don't provide? Ridiculous!
    Well contact them again maybe ? Dunno what to say at this stage cause 20$ should not be that hard to refund

Honestly, you can kiss your money goodbye. Not only that but I would leave FMH as soon as you can, because Jamie is known for scamming his clients.

There are plenty of articles that show up when you google for his name and/or Fozen Midnight Hosting:
    http://www.atourworst.org/2007/07/13...-at-all-costs/
    http://www.jemjabella.co.uk/post/200...ding_customers
    http://www.jemjabella.co.uk/post/200...rozen_midnight
    http://www.webhostingjury.com/review...n_Midnight_Inc

We've been trying to get rid of this guy for quite sometime, but haven't been able to get a response from the datacenter he uses. Though he's tried to spam my website a few times under the guise of some anonymous female. It's kind of obvious when the attacks start after you blog about him, and the hostname matches his home town.

I would have left immediately upon being accused of the DDoS issues. The fact that you stayed with them passed that...

Either way, I honestly think you're going to have to part with that $20. There isn't much you can do to get it back. PayPal isn't going to approve of your claim if you do file a dispute.

If you do need hosting, I'd be willing to help rescue you [for free] from the hellish fire that is FMH. Just shoot me an email to j.miskowicz _@_ holdfire.net.

Yeah I really should have left them right away, I removed all my files and didn't use the hosting after being accused. I just intended to let it run out once renewal came round but I totally forgot about the subscription!! Thanks for the links, I saw them a while back.. those links are how I found out of the others being accused. I found a few references to him and the service he provided which is why I knew I had to leave. I was going to contact his host/data center (I'm sure he's a reseller) but I hadn't got round to it, thought I would get some opinions on here!

Thanks!

File a dispute with PayPal- it might work in your favor. Good luck!
    [[ Reyox Communications / USA based cloud servers & support / 9 years of hosting websites ]]
    [[ Affordable ASP.NET4, ColdFusion, PHP & MS-SQL, MySQL, cPanel/WHM & Windows Reseller Hosting + Virtual Private Servers ]]
    (www.reyox.com) - Mention WHT and get a discount on your first month!

Yeah, just make sure you log into your PayPal account to ensure that you did cancel your PayPal subscription. As far as that goes, the only chance you have of getting the money back is if he refunds it to you. Otherwise don't even waste your time trying to file a claim for it; It was a subscription that went through, so it's not like it'll apply to any of the reasons to file. It sucks, I know, but hopefully you can recoup that $20 easily next time

You're not the only one that's been screwed over though: there are plenty of other threads where people have had issues. It sucks to have to deal with it, and that he's still in business to do so.

Just as long as you know what their service is like, and you voice your experience, it can help make other people aware of it. I don't know how many people I've been able to stop from going to FMH just by blogging about it (I get at least a couple of search referrals a day from it, since posting it.)

Quote Originally Posted by ReyoxHosting View Post
    File a dispute with PayPal- it might work in your favor. Good luck!
    Filing a dispute isn't going to do anything for him. He had a subscription that was automatically paid. PayPal will end up closing the dispute shortly after submitting it.