How to restore mysql databases from /var/lib/mysql/user_database/ files only?

Hi,
    as the title asks. I recently had a harddrive failure and luckliy I can still access certain directories on this failed drive. I can still access the /var/lib/mysql/ directory which holds all the users databases and have backed all these up separately using tar.

Now what I need to know is how do you restore these database files to another server? I tried simply untar'ing one of these to the new servers /var/lib/mysql/ direcotry and it stuffed Mysql up - it went offline. I had to get a cpanel tech to bring Mysql back online.

So how can I get these database files to fully work on a new server? Please any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Deasoft.com Australia & USA Hosting - cPanel, WHM, VPS
    Software - WHMreseller - WHMexec - KVZcloud
    Host Repo - The Linux Web Host Knowledge Repository
    hostsearch.com.au - Host Search Australia

Do a fresh MySQL installation on a server. Delete /var/lib/mysql folder. Now copy /var/lib/mysql folder old folder to new installation. Start mysql, it will work.

I have done this few times, yesterday also i have done this for moving MySQL 4.x on FreeBSD 5.4 to MySQL 5.x on CentOS, it worked with out any problem.

You can make the databases up by copying the db directory to /var/lib/mysql/. However the privileges for the db users to db should be set manually.
    David | www.cliffsupport.com
    Affordable Server Management Solutions sales AT cliffsupport DOT com
    CliffWebManager | Access WHM from iPhone and Android