WebHost using the best CPU's

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Are there any hosts that use the top 3 CPU's according to that list?
    RageTracks.com -- Discover the latest Electronic Dance Music

For what -- shared hosting, VPS, dedicated? If dedicated, most hosts can get you anything as long as you are willing to pay.

If shared and a bit of VPS, it doesn't really matter as it depends entirely upon the management of the company and how heavily they load their servers.
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.

Actually, the CPU does matter. We upgraded our older Dual Xeon 3.6 GHz to a new 8 cores Clovertown at 2.66 GHz/core and our VPS customers can readily see the difference. For the same amount of VPS per node, the Clovertown wins over the older Xeons, and clearly reduces the overall load on the server.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)

Quote Originally Posted by FHDave View Post
    Actually, the CPU does matter. We upgraded our older Dual Xeon 3.6 GHz to a new 8 cores Clovertown at 2.66 GHz/core and our VPS customers can readily see the difference. For the same amount of VPS per node, the Clovertown wins over the older Xeons, and clearly reduces the overall load on the server.
    Of course it makes a difference if you're hosting the same thing on the server, especially if you're upgrading from two single core processors to two quad core processors, but many companies will simply place more customers on a more powerful server, and that's when the difference is much less noticeable (it could be even slower overall). In fact, as far as stability goes, a smaller machine may be more optimal as there is less chance of a single customer causing issues on the system.

Moreover, CPU is often not a bottleneck. If you're having disk I/O issues, throwing CPU at the system isn't going to help.

Quote Originally Posted by PixelManual View Post
    For what -- shared hosting, VPS, dedicated? If dedicated, most hosts can get you anything as long as you are willing to pay.

If shared and a bit of VPS, it doesn't really matter as it depends entirely upon the management of the company and how heavily they load their servers.
    For shared hosting, just curious. I seen someone with a signature but that person slipped from my memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Burtan View Post
    For shared hosting, just curious. I seen someone with a signature but that person slipped from my memory.
    I believe you're referring to Crucial Web Host.

For the same amount of VPS per node, the Clovertown wins over the older Xeons, and clearly reduces the overall load on the server.
    Yes, but I said:
    depends entirely upon the management of the company and how heavily they load their servers.
    By that I meant that it depends upon how the company works. If they upgrade their CPU's, they may decide to throw more clients onto the same box. This negates the beneficial effects of the better CPU's. Of course the server will perform better if you leave the same amount of clients on the box as you did when you had the weaker CPU's.
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.

Quote Originally Posted by layer0 View Post
    Moreover, CPU is often not a bottleneck. If you're having disk I/O issues, throwing CPU at the system isn't going to help.
    Nope, disk I/O is not bottleneck as well. Even with 6 SATA drives in RAID10, our node with 40-50 VPSes works just fine.

The CPU can actually be crunched more than the disk I/O. Web servers (which most of these VPS are running as) has surprisingly very low IOPS.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!

Quote Originally Posted by PixelManual View Post
    Yes, but I said:

By that I meant that it depends upon how the company works. If they upgrade their CPU's, they may decide to throw more clients onto the same box. This negates the beneficial effects of the better CPU's. Of course the server will perform better if you leave the same amount of clients on the box as you did when you had the weaker CPU's.
    OK, I had argued that the VPS won't see any CPU benefits due to the virtualization layer.

My bad.

Having said this, GHz by GHz comparison, the CPU power itself does not scale linearly. Thus, you can easily put double more VPSs on a server with double the GHz power using Intel's newest CPUs and still have clear advantage over the old CPUs with half the VPSs. This is what I meant.

Nope, disk I/O is not bottleneck as well. Even with 6 SATA drives in RAID10, our node with 40-50 VPSes works just fine.

The CPU can actually be crunched more than the disk I/O. Web servers (which most of these VPS are running as) has surprisingly very low IOPS.
    Dave,

You're talking about a VPS, the OP is talking about shared hosting. Consider a shared cPanel hosting system with a powerful CPU, let's use your example of "8 cores Clovertown at 2.66 GHz/core". Let's say we have 2x 500GB SATA II in RAID 1. As more customers are added to the system, there's going to be greater mail activity as well as database activity. For a mail server, disk I/O is extremely important, and the same goes for MySQL. In the end, the bottleneck is going to be disk I/O and RAM before CPU. Additionally, when a user generates a backup (for which there is a greater probability of happening, since this is a "powerful" server with more users), that's another source of disk I/O.

I'm saying this from experience...[on an average shared hosting system] you're not going to effectively utilize the 8 cores without sufficient RAM and a proper disk setup.

Lastly, you're referring to 6 disks in a RAID 10 array, while that's going to deliver significantly better performance than RAID 1, I think you'll agree that such arrays are not commonplace among some of the popular shared hosts here.
    Last edited by layer0; 02-10-2008 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FHDave
    Thus, you can easily put double more VPSs on a server with double the GHz power using Intel's newest CPUs and still have clear advantage over the old CPUs with half the VPSs. This is what I meant.
    It completely depends on what these VPSes are doing and whether their applications are predominantly CPU bound, but I personally do not believe that would be an optimal setup and disk I/O is going to be a significant bottleneck as you add more VEs.

Quote Originally Posted by layer0 View Post
    Dave,

You're talking about a VPS, the OP is talking about shared hosting.
    Nope, the OP did not mention until later.

For a mail server, disk I/O is extremely important, and the same goes for MySQL. In the end, the bottleneck is going to be disk I/O and RAM before CPU.
    Havent you seen Perl or PHP process taking so much CPU power that your server load jump up? How often do you see your server load jumps up because of disk I/O? From our eperience, most of the times disk I/O is an issue is because the server is doing swapping. And that's neither here nor there. The fault is not on the SATA drives, the fault is letting your server do swapping. The CPU can be overloaded much sooner before the disk I/O can. Many times, when the CPU load is high, the cause is not due to I/O wait, but due to user processes.

Again, I don't see disk I/O becomes an issue on our VPS or shared hosting nodes. Web server has surprisingly very low I/O that you can even use SATA RAID5 and be fine. Mail and database servers does have high I/O, and SAS/SCSI drives help. However, even with this, most of the times, the CPU is overloaded not because of the disk I/O, but because of the running processes (e.g. SpamAssassins on the mail server, etc).

Additionally, when a user generates a backup (for which there is a greater probability of happening, since this is a "powerful" server with more users), that's another source of disk I/O.
    Find a better backup solution. We do backup of all of our Linux nodes (VPS or shared) 6 times a day and disk on the server has never become an issue.

Correction ...

OK, I had argued that the VPS won't see any CPU benefits due to the virtualization layer.
    Should have been:

"OK, I thought you had argued that the VPS won't see any CPU benefits due to the virtualization layer".

Did not realize it until the 15 minutes time limit has passed

There has been a lot of drama with VPS, I just want to know about shared hosting.

Same with shared hosting. The CPU is much more prone to be saturated than the disk. Most of the times when disk is saturated (which is still less often than the CPU being overloaded) it was because the server is out of memroy and had to the swapping.

Back to your question, sorry, I did not know which shared hosting is using the X5472, E5450, or E5420.

BTW, I just realized something strange. How is it possible that Dual E5420 beats Dual E5440??

Well CPU is not the case, the case is how much part of CPU you do receive in the shared environment, would you accept that your provider using the $1200 CPU but having thousand websites on that server? I would avoid that thing like a plague, better have a E2160 alottment but have a nice share according to your needs and your ROI.

Dont get caught in numbers unlimited/unmetered/best, if you are happy at current host dont change it.

Yeah, they are probably more than $1,000 I am not changing hosts, I was just curious to see which host invested that much.

We just got some E5420's with 8GB ram for our new shared hosting deployments.... they rock.

Just a side question... which CPU is better for general web hosting:

Intel Pentium D (830) - 3.00GHz or
    Dual Core Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2Ghz

Thanks in advance!

The Core2Duo will be better.

Our standard setup these days is dual quad core processor (8 cores total) with 6 15K SCSI disks in RAID5.

The SCSI disks make a massive difference - believe me.
    Darren Lingham - UK Webhosting Ltd. - (0800) 024 2931
    Tsohost.co.uk - Quality UK Windows and Linux hosting since 2003
    UK WordPress Hosting - Fast, easy, cloud based WordPress Hosting

Nope, the OP did not mention until later.

I believe it was implied, this is the web hosting forum, the vps forum is 7 doors down