Which host for personal web server and remote backup?

I am looking for a shared plan to host a small personal website (max 3 simultaneous visitors), to experiment a little with web apps in python, to set up a svn repo and to remotely backup my data (around 20-30 GB, rsync would be wonderful).

There are many hosts that offer apparently good plans (e.g. Dreamhost, just to give an idea), but all of them forbid in their ToS usage of hosting plan as remote backup.

Can anybody give me some advice.

Thanks to all in advance

I would split those things up. I would get a rsync backup plan with a place like BQBackups that just does backups, and then look at a company like Medialayer for hosting. I've used both and had good experiences.

Yup just get a remote backup service provider cause shared hosting is not for backups but for actually hosting your website.

Quote Originally Posted by taylorwilsdon View Post
    I would split those things up. I would get a rsync backup plan with a place like BQBackups that just does backups, and then look at a company like Medialayer for hosting. I've used both and had good experiences.
    BQBackups site resolves to a parked domain. Not the best place to put your data...

Some hosts include remote backup, however they don't usually guarantee it. And backup is always the responsibility of the user.
    MK Hosting - Reliable Affordable UK Hosting Since 2005
    www.mkhosting.co.uk
    Shared Hosting - Reseller hosting - Dedicated Servers - VPS - Colocation - IT Services

Quote Originally Posted by MKHosting View Post
    Some hosts include remote backup, however they don't usually guarantee it. And backup is always the responsibility of the user.
    I do not need a reliable backup. I already keep two copies of all my data, several hundred kilometers apart. It is just for added security and for convenience, as I often do not have access to my PCs.

Try servage.net - they positively encourage backups (one of the reasons I joined).
    Phil McKerracher

Quote Originally Posted by Phil McKerracher View Post
    Try servage.net - they positively encourage backups (one of the reasons I joined).
    From their feature list I see that they have no svn support. But at least they do not have those strange clauses in ToS.

Quote Originally Posted by Zadig View Post
    BQBackups site resolves to a parked domain. Not the best place to put your data...
    http://www.bqbackup.com/

^^ Works fine for me

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robertson View Post
    ^^ Works fine for me
    Yes, for me too. In the previous post it was written bqbackups (with "s" at the end), and strangely google did not suggest the correct spelling.

I've also got an account at bqbackup.com and am happy so far.

There is also vaultarry.com, but I can't vouch for their service. They've got some good specials in the offers section of this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Zadig View Post
    The correct domain is bqbackup.com.

Don't worry about the parked plural version. We own that domain too to prevent typosquaters from getting it.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Quote Originally Posted by bqinternet View Post
    The correct domain is bqbackup.com.

Don't worry about the parked plural version. We own that domain too to prevent typosquaters from getting it.
    Might want to forward it to your main site?

Sorry for the mistype