Hostmania.net back up

Well, hostmania.net finally came back up. Now that they're back online, a couple of questions...

- How is their support? Chavvon hasn't answered my email. I can understand that this might be due to their recent domain problems. But it worries me nonetheless. Do they answer support issues promptly?

- Does anyone know anything about their Cogent promo server? Looks like an interesting deal, pretty much what I'm looking for. How about reliability? Speed? Support?

- What is their relationship with eservers.biz? Are they one and the same company? Partners? Good friends? Is eServers a reseller?

Thanks.

couple things

hitspot bought hostmania.net when it expired
    hostmania contacted hitspot

hitspot agreed to give the domain back

becuase from what i understand, their provisioning system will not work without the domain....

if prov system works, servers are setup faster
    if it doesnt work then it is slower

so hitspot re-directed hostmania.net to transoptics.com
    and my guess is instead of transferring the domain, they just changed the name servers temporarily to

DNS servers:
    ns1.hostmaniadns.net
    ns2.hostmaniaDNS.net

to put the prov system back up / enable it again

and i am guessing later on they will do a full transfer or something

if i am wrong, hostmania or eservers feel free to correct me

from what i know they have a 24/7 support #, and they do answer support issues quickly. but i do know that if you live in canada their 1866 support # wont work

their relationship with eservers, I THINK they are reselling DC space, or they have some sort of agreement setup that works good for both companies

i don't konw
    hopefully eservers can clarify

I think I am an idiot

What is this provisioning system that I am hearing hundreds of time during this week that needs a real domain.

Isn't it possible to setup your own DNS server in your datacenter and use it for your internal use? Then put hostmania.net domain on it so that all those Provisioning Systems work with it.

Someone please help me understand this

I have been a netadmin and network programmer for 6 years (a programmer for about 14 years) and I can not understand these.

Thank you,
    Mac

I was thinking the same thing heh

yea I never heard of that and it would be possible to do a inhouse dns server as thats how its likey setup anyways it would change the local dns servers for whatever it does...

I thought the provisioning system was to install the software on each server, like there is a template on one server and then it is just sent in to the server via the ethernet card like a hard drive image, you reboot and wallah, server is up and running.
    Matthew - Burton Hosting
    low cost shared, reseller, VPS & dedicated solutions for over five years - we've got what you need.
    http://www.burtonhosting.com
    http://www.getmesupport.com - server monitoring service for all!

so you order alot of the same spec'ed machines and its sorta like norton ghost and gets everything running in a few mins? ? which is why they would charge for custom partitions as they would have to install the os by hand?

Your guess as good as mine here - but if you go with the default, I suppose via this system you could expect a server up (if the server is built) in something like 20 mins, or less, depending on how fast the transfer is. I dont' knowl, never done it, but it sounds cool.
    Matthew - Burton Hosting
    low cost shared, reseller, VPS & dedicated solutions for over five years - we've got what you need.
    http://www.burtonhosting.com
    http://www.getmesupport.com - server monitoring service for all!

Either way, it doesn't sound like a good excuse for them to be taking this long to get servers up.

So what are the DC staff doing, sitting on their hands waiting for the domain to be transferred?