Question Did I make a big mistake?

Newbie,

Don't claim to be a computer guru or anything. Far from it! Just looking for a good reliable host. I built my original website back in 2000 with Web Studio 2.0 on the Geocities Host. Recently I decided to look at new server possibilities, which lead to a Google Search. Unfortunately, I came across this forum a little late.

The Google search showed Start Logic being one of the top hosts. After purchasing a year with them, I stumbled across a couple forums that had different views of their service.

Questions? Was Start Logic bought out recently?
    How Reliable can I expect them to be?

If not reliable, should I cut my losses and go to a new host?

How much can I expect to pay for a reliable host?

Recommendations?

Can I transfer the domain names I made with Start Logic to a new Host?

Thanks for any input you can pass along to this clueless webmaster.

OBTW- Using Web Studio 4.0 now. Simple program that I've gotten accustomed to over the years.

Price does not dictate quality. $10 can get you some excellent hosting, but it depends on how big your sites are. Chances are you don't need 1000th part of what your current host gives you. So, don't focus on that, focus on the host's positive feedback, or lack thereof.

Can I transfer the domain names I made with Start Logic to a new Host?
    You should be able to transfer your domain to a registrar of your choice, after 60 days from registration. In the mean time you can just point the domains to another host (by changing nameservers), if you decide that Startlogic is not for you. Read their TOS regarding cancellation procedures and how you can retain control of your domains (there will most likely be a fee involved, ~$20 that will be retained from your refund if you're still eligible to one).

Price does not matter. Don't go for oversellers, you can't get a trip to moon for a price of burger. Its simple as that.

Make a search here and you should be able to find out many hosts with nice reputation.
    Last edited by Chris_M; 02-10-2008 at 01:19 PM. Reason: removed response to post count ++ spam

From your post i do not see you are having a bad experience with them yet, be careful of what others may write about a host, it is not always the truth and often a very single sided view on how things did happen. If your experiences are good, they might either not be that bad or they did learn from past mistakes. In other words, read every review (good or bad) with caution.

That said, you can always change your host; and / or move your domains to another registrar, depending on the TLD (i.e. .com) you may have a time period you have to wait before you can transfer, this is different from depending on the domain-extensions you are talking about.

I also learned a long time ago to go month to month with hosts. Since my first website back in '98 I seem to be on a 2 year cycle. Great service for a couple of years and then everything gets slack. My last move was due to needing more resources and I tried 3 VPS providers before I was happy. Had I paid 12 months to each that would have hurt.

Maybe it is just personal preference but Month to month makes it easier to move on if the need arises.

Google is the last place you want to look, because the affiliate companies are the best at SEO.

To go deeper - those "top host" lists are put together by companies that get paid a commission by those companies to send customers to them. It has nothing to do with actual service quality.

For real reviews, you should look places like here or you can use google, but use strings like "hostname sucks", not "hostname reviews". That will uncover the real opinions.

I used to be a StartLogic customer and their services SUCK! Do Not Buy From Them!

Quote Originally Posted by AmbitHosting View Post
    I used to be a StartLogic customer and their services SUCK! Do Not Buy From Them!
    What was your domain that you had hosted with them?

Please send it at: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/report.php?p=4954730 so the mods can verify
    Nick Hudson - Prevail Host LLC - http://www.prevail.host/
    Premium Quality cPanel Hosting Services - CloudLinux, LiteSpeed & SSD
    WHMControl - Secure Your Server Logins & Automate Password Changes

"For real reviews, you should look places like here"

I'm looking, but can not find them on the board. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Since I've already paid for a year, I will stick with Start Logic for now. It shouldn't be too big of a problem to change server's if things go wrong. Will a new host do the domain transfer for me, or is there something I need to do?

Here's the domain's I'm concerned about.

h t t p : // w w w. rubfsite .com

h t t p :// w w w. ricksultimatebassfishing .com

Thanks for the responses so far. Nothing like a little Oasis on the world wide web. Apparently I'm not allowed to use any code on this board until I have 5 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbass101 View Post
    "For real reviews, you should look places like here"

I'm looking, but can not find them on the board. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Since I've already paid for a year, I will stick with Start Logic for now. It shouldn't be too big of a problem to change server's if things go wrong. Will a new host do the domain transfer for me, or is there something I need to do?

Here's the domain's I'm concerned about.

h t t p : // w w w. rubfsite .com

h t t p :// w w w. ricksultimatebassfishing .com

Thanks for the responses so far. Nothing like a little Oasis on the world wide web. Apparently I'm not allowed to use any code on this board until I have 5 posts.
    Just use the search button, if no results show up, they might not be as bad as you think, of course it could also be a new host with little or no reviews yet.

Remember always make a backup, if your host does bad things you can move without to worry about having all your data (this counts for every host, anywhere).

Normally a hosting company can take over your domains and handle transfers for you. Always check with the hosting company on what they can and can not do for you though!.
    cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

"Remember always make a backup, if your host does bad things you can move without to worry about having all your data (this counts for every host, anywhere)."

Always do that, which would make the move pretty painless.

I did a search on here for Start Logic and didn't come up with a whole lot. I'll keep looking for reliable alternatives in-case a speedy move is needed.

bigbass101:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search...archid=4201582

they are associated with/owned by(?) iPower. do a search on them, too.

I did a search on here for Start Logic and didn't come up with a whole lot.
    Perhaps you did not write their name in a single word, startlogic, and that lead to a huge number of unrelated threads?

Try this:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search...=&imagestamp=&

Right, search for "startlogic".
    -- In case you haven't had issues with them, why jump the gun?
    Sure, you can change hosts and "cut your losses" in case you can't use a money-back guarantee. Or you can stay and see how it goes.
    They are not a host I'd recommend but you may be lucky with them.
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Another suggestion,

I would not let any web host be my domain registar.
    I would use someone like namecheap.com or another good registar. The reason I say this, is in case you have problems with your host, they can't hold your domain hostage. This is just another safe guard.

Just my 3 cents worth! (Today it is worth more)
    Charles

Great stuff. Thanks. I did type Start Logic instead of StartLogic.

"They are not a host I'd recommend but you may be lucky with them."

Which ones would you recommend?

"Another suggestion,

I would not let any web host be my domain registar.
    I would use someone like namecheap.com or another good registar. The reason I say this, is in case you have problems with your host, they can't hold your domain hostage. This is just another safe guard."

Can I switch my domain registar now, or is it too late?

Not used StartLogic myself, so can not comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbass101 View Post
    Can I switch my domain registar now, or is it too late?
    With some tlds (ie .com .net etc) you have to wait 3 months after registration/renewal before you are allowed to switch registrars.
    Hosting Community Talk - A new community orientated Webhosting discussion, guides, and industry news forum. Why not JOIN TODAY!
    My North Wales - A Community/Tourism discussion forum for residents and visitors to North Wales, United Kingdom.

Quote Originally Posted by HostOrca View Post
    Not used StartLogic myself, so can not comment.

With some tlds (ie .com .net etc) you have to wait 3 months after registration/renewal before you are allowed to switch registrars.
    With .com, .net and some others you have to wait 60 Days(2 months) before you can switch to a new registrar.

Bigbass101,
    When did you register your domain? If you had registered your domain more than 2 months ago then you can move it today more than likely.
    Charles

Sorry meant 2 months (never get used to this new keyboard )
    Hosting Community Talk - A new community orientated Webhosting discussion, guides, and industry news forum. Why not JOIN TODAY!
    My North Wales - A Community/Tourism discussion forum for residents and visitors to North Wales, United Kingdom.

Quote Originally Posted by HostOrca View Post
    Sorry meant 2 months (never get used to this new keyboard )
    lol So it was keyboard error or user error?
    jk
    Charles

meant to hit the 2 button but hit the 3 instead (so used to not looking at the numberpad with the old keyboard)

I have a large database and I needed an extra hosting plan so I decided to give them a try to only find out how big of a mistake I have made... First of all like I said I have a large database and on the very first day I had the account I uploaded about 30gig's of stuff, the next day about 20 more... and all of a sudden all the data was erased... I try to call them and was placed on hold for like 3 hours only to get someone who told me they will look into the problem and let me know in 24 to 48 hours well that never happened... Terrible over sellers I suggest you cut your loses and move to another host.

Terrible over sellers I suggest you cut your loses and move to another host.
    Putting a huge database on a ~$8 shared hosting account, is not the wisest thing to attempt. When you know that you're about to use significantly more than what the money you're paying can actually cover, you're taking a risk. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes not.

Bigbass101,
    When did you register your domain? If you had registered your domain more than 2 months ago then you can move it today more than likely.

January 17th. So I need to wait a little while yet. I will do that transfer once the 60 days are up. Thanks for the great bit of advice. It's appreciated.