Rebooting server

What I want to now is, what happens if the server is writing to the database and you decide to reboot? Will the writing stop abruptly or will the the server finish the writing process and then restart the server?
    <<I don't need no stinking rules for signature setup!>>

I'm not really sure, but I guess it depends what kind of a reboot it is, as in you doing a power cycle from a control panel, or "shutdown -r now" from ssh.

Depends on the database you are using.

Part of the reason servers running MySQL database need UPS is because if there is an abrupt shutdown while something is being written/updated/changed it will get corrupted because MyISAM expects the system to run uninterrupted. And while you can try to retrieve it, sometimes it might be impossible.

One the other hand, databases such as SQL 2005 will not get corrupted during an abrupt shutdown because it has systems in place to safeguard data from corruption due to abrupt shutdowns.
    Last edited by HNLV; 02-09-2008 at 08:21 AM.
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

Depends on how you reboot it.

If you log into the server and issue a shutdown through the operating system, all of the daemons should be shut down gracefully before the reboot kicks off. In this case your writes will be taken care of when the OS starts signaling the DB process that it's being ordered to shut down.

If you use the web-based reboot option (if your host provides that) it's like yanking the plug on the server. There's a strong possibility of data loss or corruption.
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."

How many times do you guys reboot your server? I was advised to reboot my server once a month.
    <<I don't need no stinking rules for signature setup!>>

If you run nu buggy home-made scripts there is no need to reboot that often. Actually I only reboot for a kernel upgrade, which maybe happens once every 6 months tops..