Thumbs up [review] innohosting - 3 months.

I rambled off several paragraphs about my experiences with Innohosting in another thread a couple of weeks back, but to keep it nice and tidy - here's my 3 months review.

A Bit About What I Do

I don't possess the technical knowledge, must less the business skills to run a hosting company. I do give out and sling a little hosting to some local and regional dj's and friends to help pay the bill and save them from having a potentially poor hosting experience elsewhere.

None of their sites are hogs and mainly are static html with pictures and mp3 mixes (example - http://www.vinnybricks.com). The most resource intensive site I host is a small-to-moderately size Coppermine gallery (http://www.theplymouthworks.com).

Some of these folks do have 'hosting knowledge' beyond knowing how to FTP their files and like to be able to access cPanel, use Fantastico, view stats and whatnot, so a reseller account was necessary and what I'd been running.

In short - I have pretty basic and simple needs from a host.

This allowed me to focus my pending search on the key areas of performance, uptime and support.

The Search/Start Up

Things were rosy on the technical and support side of things with my host at the time, KnownHost. I have nothing but good things to say about those folks, their support and services are both excellent. However, I took on several new clients and was looking to expand further and KnownHost's plan and pricing structure wasn't going to fit into what I needed vs what I was looking to spend.

So, it was time to spend awhile with my good friend, WebHostingTalk and it's super handy search function (Try it!).

I saw an Inno review in the reseller forum and was impressed so I checked the offers forum, and low and behold - they had pretty much exactly what I was looking for, on special. While I will never come remotely close to using all of the bandwidth they allocate, the disk space was perfect for my current and projected future needs..with a little room to spare.

Off to work.

Aside from the few standard teeny-bopper "Innohosting suspended me because I was sending eleventybillion e-mails per hour and I called their support techs b**ches." posts, I don't recall finding anything about them on here that was negative at all. Google turned up pretty much the same in terms of results, even querying the infamous string 'innohosting sucks' didn't return much bad stuff.

After another couple of days of hem-hawing I came back around to the offers forum only to notice that I had wasted too much time and the offer had expired. I submitted a ticket and was told by Rameen that I could get the hook, so on 11/5 I went for it and signed up for (after free upgrade) their Professional Plan.

I signed up in the evening, probably 10pm-ish (Eastern) and my account was setup early the next business day. I knew this in advance and was not expecting 'instant setup'.

Here's where it gets kind of dodgy on my part and even now, 3 mos later, I still feel bad about it. Due to my own negligence caused by procrastination and a propensity to browse the web and attempt to make somewhat important decisions while sporting the old 'squinty eyes', I griped about the amount of time (which was small in the big scheme) it was taking to transfer my sites over from KnownHost. Some other hosts I had used in the past would literally throw themselves on top of transferring my sites at 'why the hell aren't you asleep?' AM. Had I looked more into Inno's migration information, I would not have reacted. Unfortunately, I didn't. Derp.

I didn't "throw a fit" but was politely unhappy.

This was totally my fault. My rushy-ness was, again, due to my own procrastination in getting off KnownHost's machines in enough time so that I didn't get billed for the next month. For the record and again to their credit, KnownHost was super cool about canceling on short notice.

Anyways, Rameen was professional and polite about it and handled things so that my sites were moved during what I guess you could call 'off-hours'. He also followed up with me the next day to confirm that everything was kosher.

I was impressed to say the least.

Servers and Uptime and Networks - Oh My!

Innohosting runs a tight ship on the server side of the equation. I'm essentially clueless when it comes to server admin, but know when it works well - it works well. Inno's machines always work well.

The static sites, coppermine site and a low traffic (5-7gb/mo bw) message forum all perform excellently. The static pages load virtually instantly.

I generally check in on a cPanel for one of my sites on the account daily and always check the server status page when I do so. The machine I am on (server 3) maintains a load consistently in the 1.5 - 2.5 range. Initially upon seeing that, I was somewhat concerned. In the end, my sites all still scream and they're the experts so, word. If it's quick, I'm happy.

I have noticed from time to time, at peak hours, that the load will jump to the 3.0-4.0 vicinity, but it always seems to calm back down to the average 1.5-2.5 within a minute or so. The second or so delay effect is has on loading times is not a concern to me or the folks I host. We're a laid back sort

Download speeds are acceptably fast as well which is important to me as some of my sites have mp3 mixes that are anywhere from 80-150mb in size. At 'peak times', I max out around 500kbps on a 1mb cable connection and around 750kbps in the morning and night.

Uptime has eclipsed both of my previous reseller hosts, Blurstorm and as mentioned, KnownHost. For the period I've had 3 minutes and 36 seconds worth of downtime per Host-Tracker (Set at 1 minute interval). This is exceptional to me as they are one of two hosts I have ever used who truly lived up to their 99.9% uptime guarantee.

Support

For me, this is where Innohosting has really shined.

I've submitted 14 tickets that were support related and all have received an initial response within no more than a half an hour, generally 15ish minutes. I've noticed that sometimes several different techs will work on and respond to a ticket, but they must be set up well in regards to communicating with one another, because the transition is seamless.

Also to their credit, all of my support requests except for one which was a major DNS issue have been flagged 'Low'. Yet are still answered quickly. Those tickets were not "OMFG I NEED THIS RIGHT NOW!!' type requests and were treated as such. Hostees take note.

Most 'basic' questions were answered in the first response, mid-level requests within an hour or so of the ticket submission and a couple high-level requests that took 12-24 hours to resolve.

I promise I won't propose marriage (lol) but as I've said several times elsewhere, Inno's lead tech Chris is the man.

He worked to fix what apparently was a somewhat complicated DNS issue with one of my sites diligently over the course of a day or so and kept me updated throughout the duration.

Recently, he went well out of his way in helping me change the master domain on my reseller account.

From what my clients and I needed to do to leaving the old master account's nameservers online for a few days to help things move over smoothly..Chris was very helpful and prompt despite letting him know that I was in absolutely no rush to get this taken care of. Even with that, everything was sorted within 24 hours.

Additionally, they also have a nice, comfortably designed vBulletin forum to keep customers up to date with server status/updates and other announcements.

One of the areas I think Innohosting does need to improve on though, is their knowledge base. It is limited to pre-sales, spam control and clientexec topics and it one of the thinner KBs I have seen.

Summary

Thanks to the promotion I got in on, I pay $19.95/mo for 15GB storage and 250GB bandwidth. I feel this is more than a fair price for what I have received. Innohosting has, thus far, been a reliable, professional, helpful and friendly host that I am extremely happy to have found.

I would highly recommend Innohosting to those looking for a reasonably priced reseller plan. They deliver what they promise and, for me at least, then some.

Thanks for publishing such a thorough review.

The only thing I could possible expand on, is,
    I believe that 'migration' is normaly done at 'weekends' when the loads/resouces are at there lowest, I think, you maybe nudged them to get it done a bit quicker.

Also, how come you found there offer at the right time, I seem to have a natural skill to miss the 'best offers' !

Seriously, thanks again for the review.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian-de-vie View Post
    Thanks for publishing such a thorough review.

I believe that 'migration' is normaly done at 'weekends' when the loads/resouces are at there lowest, I think, you maybe nudged them to get it done a bit quicker.

Also, how come you found there offer at the right time, I seem to have a natural skill to miss the 'best offers' !

Seriously, thanks again for the review.
    To tell the truth, i did read the last few lines and learnt that he was happy enough with the service. Thats good.

Are you trying to promote your service through participation brain. Just Kidding.

i did and feel bad for doing so.

I seem to have a natural skill to miss the 'best offers' !
    LOL

That's me too
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

db09,

Thanks for the review. Good to know that you are happy. I have had a fair experience with them so far. I'll be completing a month with them in few days.

So far smooth sailing.
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

Glad to hear that you are satisified with your web host, keep us updated at the 1 year mark down the road.
    Last edited by bear; 02-10-2008 at 11:11 AM.

A very detailed review indeed! Without a doubt the most detailed we have had.

Many thanks for taking the time to write it - much appreciated!
    InnoHosting, Performance Web Hosting || US: 1-888-522-INNO UK: 0800 612 8075
    Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Managed Servers - Application Hosting
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    LiteSpeed / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business

Inspired by this review, I went to their website -- and couldn't find a way to contact the sales department.

And the general service page had a 404 not found.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Monash View Post
    Inspired by this review, I went to their website -- and couldn't find a way to contact the sales department.

And the general service page had a 404 not found.
    That's a bit odd..

If you go to our website, and look at the top navigation bar, you see the option "Rapid Response Support". If you click that it goes to our support page - the first option is sales.

If you go to our resellers page above the pricing plans we have a link for sales.

We do make it extremely easy for anyone that wishes to contact us to be able to - especially sales

As for the General service page - we don't have a general service page?

Feel free to PM me where you are seeing a general service page as I do not recall ever having one.
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    LiteSpeed / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business

Quote Originally Posted by IH-Rameen View Post
    That's a bit odd..

If you go to our website, and look at the top navigation bar, you see the option "Rapid Response Support". If you click that it goes to our support page - the first option is sales.
    Thanks for the encouragement!

That's what was 404ing for me a few minutes ago.

I'll try not to interpret that as a symptom of your hosting uptime.

CAM

Thanks for the encouragement!

That's what was 404ing for me a few minutes ago.

I'll try not to interpret that as a symptom of your hosting uptime.

CAM
    Our main site is on its own server. I assume the 404 you experienced was a glitch somewhere, as we have been receiving tickets without problems. That said, I will ask a tech to look further into it.

I do see you managed to successfully open a support ticket, stand by for an answer shortly

Very nice review! Glad you're happy, Innohosting is a great host.

14. Might be the wrong place to post with this being a Reseller forum.

Your site mentions dedicated/VPS coming soon.

Are you able to expand on what you are going to be offering yet and will they be just US based or will you also be doing a UK dedicated/VPS?

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by websprite View Post
    Might be the wrong place to post with this being a Reseller forum.

Your site mentions dedicated/VPS coming soon.

Are you able to expand on what you are going to be offering yet and will they be just US based or will you also be doing a UK dedicated/VPS?

Thank you
    Our VPS plans will be available in roughly the next 7 days. All details will be released on our site and forums

Well while were moving sideways,
    any future plans for 'Windows Reseller Hosting' either UK or US ?

And I should add the one thing you will note IS Missing,
    from the services Innohost provide, - No BS -

Well while were moving sideways,
    any future plans for 'Windows Reseller Hosting' either UK or US ?

And I should add the one thing you will note IS Missing,
    from the services Innohost provide, - No BS -
    Windows hosting is something being considered at the moment. It won't be too long before you see it crop up on our site

Just b'coz a company provides great reseller-linux hosting doesn't mean it will be equally good in Windows or VPS hosting. Take a look at ResellerZoom. They were rocking in Linux reselling but are hardly worth mentioning in Windows or VPS. Of course, they have deteriorated in almost all their services.

Of course, this is not to say that InnoHosting will go the same way. I wish them luck and hope they provide us with one more good option to consider for Windows and VPS

I think whilst there product is great, it's the business that shines

I may get shot down, but the only 'hicup' I'm aware of that Innohosting have encountered, has been with there 'reseller,reseller' IR or whatever it's called.

When they realised the 'auto side' of that was not 100%, they went for a manual admin of it.
    I'm convident that:
    a. they will only introduce new/extra products when they themselves are ready.
    b. should they experience problems with new products, they will manage those problems, openly, honestly & professionaly.

I don't think anyone can ask for much more.

I just got a note from Innohosting saying that they don't want a customer for a reseller account if one might occasionally get Slashdotted.

That, IMO, is a ridiculously tight TOS.

Hosts should be Digg-proof, let alone Slashdot-proof.

I just got a note from Innohosting saying that they don't want a customer for a reseller account if one might occasionally get Slashdotted.

Actually, that is not an accurate statement.

You said you get DDoS attacks, slashdotted often and have a budget of only $20 to $30. That is not a realistic budget.

No host in the right mind is going to allow a site that is very prone to DDoS and regularly slashdotted on a shared environment.
    We can handle the odd slashdot or Digg effect, but the DDoS and regular occurrence is not something we are willing to handle.

You asked for advice on what would best suit you, I told you a dedicated platform as will many others.

Our TOS is actually very sound, and it is because of our policies that we get the compliments we have been getting on this thread.
    Last edited by IH-Rameen; 02-12-2008 at 09:46 AM.

I think whilst there product is great, it's the business that shines

I may get shot down, but the only 'hicup' I'm aware of that Innohosting have encountered, has been with there 'reseller,reseller' IR or whatever it's called.

When they realised the 'auto side' of that was not 100%, they went for a manual admin of it.
    I'm convident that:
    a. they will only introduce new/extra products when they themselves are ready.
    b. should they experience problems with new products, they will manage those problems, openly, honestly & professionaly.

I don't think anyone can ask for much more.
    We are working with our developer on revamping IR-Panel.. No details being released yet, but info will be released on our forums as it becomes available

Quote Originally Posted by IH-Rameen View Post
    Our TOS is actually very sound, and it is because of our policies that we get the compliments we have been getting on this thread.
    I can say that is true. I wouldn't like a neighbour of mine being DDos'ed often and bringing me and my clients down as well.

Strict/sound policies are what create a good environment.

Thanks Rameen. You are running a good show. I hope you keep it the same way.

I'm glad this was responded to by Innohosting, as this is a great example of how you can spin just about anything to seem almost reasonable.

I think frequently getting DDos'd, slashdot/digg'd, etc... is not "might occasionally get slashdotted". I think it's totally unreasonable what some people expect for budget shared hosting. You want to spend less then $30/mo but be able to eat up mass bandwidth/resources/admin time on a regular basis? So based on that warped view you come here to make a negative post about a reseller?

Resellers need to establish limits for their services in order to maintain quality. Those resellers that do this well usually end up with solid reps, I have no problem with a reseller setting these limits (especially in the light of unreasonable expectations).

quick update of sorts...

support is still swift (although slower than before), but it seems to have become less personable and helpful.

i had been (and am) having a problem regarding my site's availability and can't really seem to get a straight answer. i submitted a ticket with a screenshot of april's uptime via host-tracker (99.70%) , the specific times of day i noticed i (and host-tracker's network of sites) was having trouble reaching the sites and the fact that at that moment they were inaccessible.

the tech told me to run a traceroute from my pc to the domain (why?) and upon informing him the sites were still down, the ticket was escalated and i was, in turn, told the exact same thing.

i feel like and it certainly looks like, my actual and initial question was completely ignored.

as the availability of the sites i host becomes more important, performance on the end of innohosting's network seems to have taken a dip.

i'm confident there's a viable explanation, but i can't seem to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by db09 View Post
    quick update of sorts...

support is still swift (although slower than before), but it seems to have become less personable and helpful.

i had been (and am) having a problem regarding my site's availability and can't really seem to get a straight answer. i submitted a ticket with a screenshot of april's uptime via host-tracker (99.70%) , the specific times of day i noticed i (and host-tracker's network of sites) was having trouble reaching the sites and the fact that at that moment they were inaccessible.

the tech told me to run a traceroute from my pc to the domain (why?) and upon informing him the sites were still down, the ticket was escalated and i was, in turn, told the exact same thing.

i feel like and it certainly looks like, my actual and initial question was completely ignored.

as the availability of the sites i host becomes more important, performance on the end of innohosting's network seems to have taken a dip.

i'm confident there's a viable explanation, but i can't seem to get one.
    Hi Dave,

Can you let me know your ticket number? For the server you are on, the uptime in all previous months has been either 99.9% or 100%. The only problem I saw which may have caused downtime was a reboot which lasted not longer than a few minutes..

However do please let me know your ticket ID via PM and I will would be glad to look into it and provide the explanation you are looking for.

We do have a feedback section on our support desk for customers to express any concern they have, including support. I wasn't aware you were feeling support was not as helpful as before (as simply nothing has changed support wise since you joined).. If anything we have increased our support options and even introducing live chat technical support..

But if you get back to me with your concerns then I will definitely find out what went wrong and get you back on track.

When the tech asked you for a traceroute, it was to see where the connection was lost at. For instance, just because the site was down on your end, doesn't mean that it was on his end. The internet has many different routes depending on where you are at, who's network you are on from your ISP, and the routing priorities set by routers.

So, it could be anything along the path to your server that is down. A traceroute will show what is down and where from your end.

right, i (think) i understand that much. my concern was that host-tracker was reporting the downtime as well.. so it wasn't just me.

Well sure, but if it was up for the technician, then he's still want a traceroute from someone who its down for. I mean, I wasn't there, so I have no idea. I was just trying to explain the why's and the most probable reason.

Really hope the IR-Panel will be improved significantly in the next version especially WHMCS integration. It took me a couple of hours to integrate it with my WHMCS.

uptime could still use improvement (around 99.5-6 on average per month) .. otherwise, still going well.
    Last edited by db09; 08-01-2008 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by db09 View Post
    uptime could still use improvement (around 99.5-6 on average per month) .. otherwise, still going well.
    Hi Dave,

Thank you for providing the update..

Could you get in touch with me about how the monitoring is being performed and the domain provided for monitoring? I managed to find your account.. It appears you are on S3.

Our uptime monitor for this server is showing different stats:
    http://www.pingdom.com/reports/rqoyl.../?name=Server3

But I would like to find the root cause and get you back onto 99.9%+ uptime and see why you are experiencing such issues.. If you can perhaps open a ticket with Feedback we can open a dialog and I can spend this weekend looking into it to find the root cause..

That said, I'm glad to hear everything is going well

EDIT: I've received the info by PM, looking into it for you now

33. well I signed up today, lets see how it goes :-)

Quick update - I'm still with Inno and happy as ever. Service and support are great. Uptime is at 99.9%.

I also love their forums. They are great for updates and useful information on using WHMCS, their EndSupport program and updates/general stuff.

I don't think you'll find another reseller provider out there that offers a more complete package than Inno. They give you everything you need to start reselling fast and to provide reliable service!

Thanks to Rameen, Chris and everyone at Innohosting. I'll be sticking around for a long time.

Thanks for the update. It is nice to have regular updates in reviews.

Sounds like your having really good time there

Based on these reviews and others alike, I'm joining them right now for all my reselling.