Question Hosting Services

Hello All,

I need your help. I am a web developer and hosting company my flagship business is web development and I am currently hosting about 25 clients and growing that I have picked up from web site development. I have one server and I am considering building on the business of hosting and I wanted your input.

Is it worth building a hosting business is it to cut throat out there?

What are the risks?

Do you find it hard to get new clients?

Do they look to sue you if you go down?

I'm just a little scared that there not enough business or that its not worth building for a $5.00 a month client being that you would need thousands of clients to even start making money and does it take up a lot of your time supporting them?

Any input, feedback or suggestion much appreciated!

Please only reply is you have real experience in the business.

Frank

Moved to Running a Web Hosting Business. Maybe it'll get a bit more attention in here.

i also would like to know that as i am planing to start hosting myself....

Quote Originally Posted by GDIS Hosting Serv View Post
    Hello All,

I need your help. I am a web developer and hosting company my flagship business is web development and I am currently hosting about 25 clients and growing that I have picked up from web site development. I have one server and I am considering building on the business of hosting and I wanted your input.

Is it worth building a hosting business is it to cut throat out there?
    It is definitely worth your while to start a hosting business. You are already running a successful web development business and offering hosting to your clients would be a natural extension of such a business. You need not worry about competition from other web hosts since your hosting customers will already be your web development customers!
    SHAW NETWORKS Simple. Professional. Reliable. Web Hosting Done Right.
    Low Cost & Award-Winning: cPanel Reseller Plans 24/7/365 Live Technical Support
    Website: www.shawnetworks.com Fast Response E-mail: sales @ shawnetworks.com
    Sick of downtime? Fed up with excuses? Drop your host! Switch to Shaw Networks.

Well according to many comments in this thread, education counts for little and you just need the tech expertise

Joking aside, I'd say your best bet is to leverage your existing web dev clients. If you're doing a good job, then word of mouth will be quite valuable as well. As far as your questions about clients suing you, just create a company and it limits your liability.

Our parent company (esnet.com) was in a similar situation as a specialty application developer and website design firm. The hosting portion of that business is a completely natural extension of the design/development services and those customers are typically willing to pay a premium to deal with a local firm who they know and trust. The company grew into a colocation provider and eventually a large scale web host.

As far as hosting on a wider, commodity-based hosting market, I would recommend a blend based on what you're best at. A "design and hosting package" for a flat fee where you design a standard number of pages and host the site as well, or include a sitebuilder/template monster into your offerings and have your clients pick a template for you to customize and host.

Just a few ideas...
    E Solutions by WOW! Business
    Collocation, DR, VMWare Hosting in our Data Centers
    SSAE-16 Type II Certified with locations in Tampa, FL and Columbus, OH
    Call Now! 813-301-2600

Just wanted to say thank you for everyone's post. It's touch now a days with somemany challenages in business so its nice to see although we may think the market is flooded its nice to see there is still an opportunity to succeed. I will keep you posted as I develop further in to the hosting business. I just got my second server from Dell so i'm looking forward to it. Very excited I just hope it keeps getting better.

Not another web host

If you are going to do it, make sure you do something particularly unique, and continually unique.

Otherwise you'll be just like the majority, making a few /$ and no wage.
    Olly | INX-Gaming
    Call of Duty 4 hosting