Limestone FTP Upload speed

Yesterday, I went ahead and leased a S3 server from Limestone at 199.00/per month with cpanel installed. I went with Limestone basically because of the good things I read about them on this forum as well as it came with a promotion of unmetered 10mps.

Everything was set up in a timely fashion, they do have some issues with their website support area that needs to be addressed, but other than that no serious complaints until I started FTP'ng files up.

So today when I go to upload 2gb of data through ftp I can barely
    reach 100kbs. I am on a 3mps connection on my end and typically upload to other servers we have at 2000+kbs.

Does anyone else here that use Limestone have similar FTP upload speed issues.

Also I went and uploaded a 10mb test file to see what download speeds are through http and it only gets to about 300kb.

Any insights?

The speed will vary depending on where you are and where Limestones datacenter is.

Unless you are uploading a single file, try using multiple connections when uploading your files.

Turn off passive mode

Quote Originally Posted by Soskel34 View Post
    Turn off passive mode

Been there done that and all the other aboves.
    Actually got worse with passive mode off.

I am on the east coast near D.C. any Limestone users on the east coast?

maybe another FTP client will help

Quote Originally Posted by Soskel34 View Post
    maybe another FTP client will help
    Highly doubtful.

It has improved a bit since it is now after 7pm here on the East Coast up to 250kb. A traceroute shows a bunch of bottle necks.

I do find it a bit odd that when I lookup the IP Limestone assigned me that it shows that the IP range is owned by cologuys.com (one of the bottlenecks) are they one in the same company?
    Last edited by chef60; 02-08-2008 at 08:22 PM.

I am on a 3mps connection on my end and typically upload to other servers we have at 2000+kbs.
    3Mbps = 366.21KBps

A common misconception is that 10mbps unmetered is an amazing deal; it can be, if thats all you need. 10Mbps per sec limits you to 1.25mb/sec and also limits you to a total transfer of 3,164.0625gb a month.

To cut out the crap, You will never reach 2000+kbs on a 10mbps port You should be getting a better rate though.
    WLKNS.co - A collection of my programmer thoughts

As Vipeax pointed out... 3Mbps = 366.21KBps
    Fast SSD Dedicated Servers || 24/7 365 Support || Money-Back Guarantee
    Dedicated Servers || Colocation || IP Transit
    Need to get in touch? Drop us an email at info[at]quadix.co

Quote Originally Posted by vipeax View Post
    3Mbps = 366.21KBps
    If you were paying attention you would have seen I wrote kbps not KBps

1mbps = 1024kbps divided by 8 = 128KB/s

Quote Originally Posted by arkin View Post

To cut out the crap, You will never reach 2000+kbs on a 10mbps port You should be getting a better rate though.
    Most certainly will, perhaps you should practice comprehending what you read before writing

kbps = kilobits per second
    KBps = kilobytes per second

Maybe it is because you WRITE it weird? When people talk about up & download speed they don't use the bit ratio... I wouldn't expect to much future help with your attitude.

unmetered 10 mbps is the port speed it also has to be DEDICATED in order to get the full 10 mbps at all time not just off peak hours. In another words if you share 100 mbps port with 15 to 20 servers... it's hard to get the 10 mbps at all times.

It can be caused by the fact that the connection is not dedicated, but also could be because of bad routing, your data might be going through a slower ISP.

chef60 run this speedtest http://www.testmy.net/ul-2992 too see if you are getting your correct upload speed, and post the results.

if you have a 3mbps upload speed then you can get 384kb/s on upload max.

I also have a server at limestone, and am on the east coast, and have no problem with uploads. I have a 10mbps port on my server, and can upload at about 9.8mbps from another server that has a 100mbps connection, to the one at limestone.
    Uploadingit.com - Fast Reliable File Hosting