Cheap shared hosting with SSH in California?

Hi guys, I'm looking for a cheap, minimal hosting with SSH in California (Such as Dreamhost, but their plan is way above my expectations)

I don't need much disk space or bandwidth (50MB diskspace and 20G Bandwidth is even enough) my main focus is it's gotta be in California and with SSH access.

Thanks in advance.

Why does the actual server have to be in California? There are many services out there from San Diego to San Francisco, but I would suggest one with their servers in the middle of USA. Thanks, please let me know if you have any questions.
    Jazzy Host - cPanel Hosting You Can Count on
    Shared cPanel Hosting, cPanel Reseller Hosting w/ WHM, Managed Dedicated Servers
    24/7 Live Support/Quick Ticket Replies, 99.9% Uptime Guarantee - Monitored by 3rd Party for you to see
    Great Prices, No Setup Fees, Fast Setup!!

Hi I'd like the server to be in California (or on the west coast) as it will be physically closer to me (in New Zealand) and hence my pings to the server will be lower, I need SSH since I need to use SSH Tunnel to proxy some of my applications, hence latency is the major concern here.

California has many wild fires, so be careful when you choose location.
    JKookServ.com
    Master Reseller | cPanel | Webhosting | WHM CPanel |

Quote Originally Posted by lolmannz View Post
    Hi I'd like the server to be in California (or on the west coast) as it will be physically closer to me (in New Zealand) and hence my pings to the server will be lower, I need SSH since I need to use SSH Tunnel to proxy some of my applications, hence latency is the major concern here.
    In that case also check if you are allowed to setup tunnels, not every hosting company will allow this, so be sure you contact the support/sales department of the host you choose to make sure they will let you use it for your needs.

lolmannz, why don't you want to have a look at australian located companies. They seem more closer to you then California
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

Oh, I want one in Cali since I connect to lots of services in Cali, plus aussie hosting isn't exactly cheap

bump? anyone?

Lunarpages is in Cali & Vegas, but they do not offer ssh. You could try some of the other commonly recommended hosts and use a geoIP service to determine if they are in Cali. Most of the data centers I know of in Northern CA are colo only.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Dreamhost are in Cali.

Yes Dreamhost would be my last resort if I can't find anything else, but I'd like something maybe cheaper, as I don't really need all the space/bandwidth, just the cheapest plan possible with SSH.

Is your target audience in NZ too? If so, why not have a look at Australia? (I think that even a (south) asian provider could work for you.

Hi there, it's just for me, I tunnel to the server in Cali to achieve lower pings for VO-IP, Gaming etc

Hi there, it's just for me, I tunnel to the server in Cali to achieve lower pings for VO-IP, Gaming etc
    As to whether the hosting company would be aware that you're tunneling is one thing, but if they do find out I doubt they would permit it.

SSH Tunneling is just a normal ssh connection, I'm pretty sure it would be allowed.

Maybe have a look at reviews at hostsearch.com

If you do a search there on "California" it will turn up hosts based in the state.

You play online games with a SSH tunnel?

Hostmonster have SSH, but if you don't need what Dreamhost offers, you won't need 1.5TB storage and 15TB bandwidth

Hostmonster looks good! I might just get that, before I do though does anyone else know any cheaper hosting in LA?

SSH Tunneling is just a normal ssh connection, I'm pretty sure it would be allowed.
    It can also be seen as both a proxy (which many hosts do not approve of) or cause high load on the server due to persistent processes.

I don't really think that you need to aim for hosting in California persay. You can go into midland USA and these providers. It is all about the quality of the network and the peering, not the geographical location.

Which makes me go into another aspect here; If you are knowledgable in how to handle a (Linux) server, you can get a good price on an unmanaged VPS and then run your proxy/tunneling through there, with guaranteed resource allocation.