Question Standard Bandwidth Rates?

I was looking at a local colocation provider recently. And, I was wondering if their bandwidth prices seemed kind of high to anyone else?

1-4 Mbps -- $125 per Mbps

5-9 Mbps -- $112 per Mbps

10+ Mbps -- $99 per Mbps

So, 10Mbps would be $990 per month, 5Mbps would be $560 per month, etc.
    [Lurking Glass] <- Not a webhost.

looks like the BW prices of a few years ago. Is the provider offering something unique to make up for the high prices?
    Daniel Pautz - WebNX, Inc. dan >< WebNX.com
    WebNX.com Enterprise Hosting Solutions – Southern California (Premium Equinix Based DC), Northern Utah (Large 120k Sq' WebNX ran) and NYC Based Servers
    High end Dedicated Servers at reasonable prices on a Premium network with 9x providers route optimized with the Noction IRP

Quote Originally Posted by WebNX View Post
    looks like the BW prices of a few years ago. Is the provider offering something unique to make up for the high prices?
    No, not really. I talked to them and it seems like a fairly standard colocation datacenter.

You pay for any extras you need, like "remote hands", managed firewall, etc. They don't have people there 24/7 (but can have someone there within 15 minutes they say).

All I can guess is they're trying to make up for low rack space rates. They charge $25 per U.
    [Lurking Glass] <- Not a webhost.

That seems like a lot... take a look at the advertising posts (or others will post recommendations here), but you can find great co-lo's that are in the $30 per meg price range.
    Frank Wilson | Chief Engineer
    SimpleCDN Technologies, Inc.
    http://www.simpleCDN.com
    800.269.3033 ext 704

Quote Originally Posted by eviltechie View Post
    I was looking at a local colocation provider recently. And, I was wondering if their bandwidth prices seemed kind of high to anyone else?

1-4 Mbps -- $125 per Mbps

5-9 Mbps -- $112 per Mbps

10+ Mbps -- $99 per Mbps

So, 10Mbps would be $990 per month, 5Mbps would be $560 per month, etc.
    Depends on where you're located. They are rather high, but if you are in a small town or something, they aren't insane. Also depends on the quality of the bandwidth they are providing.

It's always worth negotiating with them -- if you can find another colo center in the area that offers bandwidth at better rates, see if they can match the pricing. Also, if you have a reasonable idea of how much bandwidth you are going to use, you can negotiate for burstable rates instead of hard caps. However, if you are at risk for DDoS or are not certain of what your bandwidth usage will be, this can be a bad plan -- overages are usually very expensive!

FYI - $25/U also isn't all that cheap.

On low commits, those priced are hardly unreasonable, even today. As with everything, they are probably negotiable.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Suds View Post
    On low commits, those priced are hardly unreasonable, even today. As with everything, they are probably negotiable.
    I wish the WHT crowd in general understood this concept. Theres nothing wrong with a few dollars/meg markup, if you're pushing a few hundred megs of transit.

Most providers are fairly upfront about the cost of their time (most in the $100-200/hour range for someone of reasonable skill). The idea that your colo/bandwidth provider will be satisfied providing services, with (monthly) profit margins that will barely buy pizza is laughable.
    Myles Loosley-Millman - admin@prioritycolo.com
    Priority Colo Inc. - Affordable Colocation & Dedicated Servers.
    Two Canadian facilities serving Toronto & Markham, Ontario
    http://www.prioritycolo.com