Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Are directories necessary for SEO?

I have not had the time to submit my sites manually to directories, and have been getting decent links elsewhere. I am wondering if links from directories will give my serps a noticeable increase.

No link should ever be overlooked. Directories are generally just the first step in the off-site optimization process, but shouldnot be overlooked or you lose a lot of potenntially good links, even if devalued somewhat. If you do not have the time to manually submit yourself, I would suggest outsourcing it to a reputable offshore place. There is one listed with about 30 forum pages of satisfied clients listed right here. I use them myself frequently, and have yet to have any major issues at all.
    William Cross
    Don Halbert *play site*
    william@seofox.com

Directories are small part in SEO process. I think that you have to understand that and learn a lot befor starting. I wold suggest you not start SEO your self with sites which are very important for you.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

Directories are a small part of site optimization and can be a good start-up for a new website. However the quality of directories matters much more than quantity therefore choosing directories carefully where you submit your website is essential and important for good results.
    Cloud Hosting - Intelligent, Auto-Scalable & Pay-Per-Use | Near Unlimited Resources
    Dedicated Servers - Fully Managed UK Dedicated Servers
    Complete, Fully Managed Web Hosting solutions at eUKhost.com!

Quote Originally Posted by nuclei View Post
    No link should ever be overlooked. Directories are generally just the first step in the off-site optimization process, but shouldnot be overlooked or you lose a lot of potenntially good links, even if devalued somewhat. If you do not have the time to manually submit yourself, I would suggest outsourcing it to a reputable offshore place. There is one listed with about 30 forum pages of satisfied clients listed right here.I use them myself frequently, and have yet to have any major issues at all.
    so they've been in that business for quite sometime now. were you able to try their service. i do manual submission myself. i only need a good list of submission sites.

Quote Originally Posted by ckruger View Post
    so they've been in that business for quite sometime now. were you able to try their service. i do manual submission myself. i only need a good list of submission sites.
    My posts said I use them frequently. They started up about a year ago I would guess, without going to look.

Submission site list: http://www.directoryrecap.com
    William Cross
    Don Halbert *play site*
    william@seofox.com

oh, sorry about that. thanks nuclei.

I think directories help if you consider good web directories with good PR.

yes directory have effect on website ranking especially free directory. If you optimized the highly competitive keyword then you must use all the possible ways to get ahead of the competition.
    Get paid to websites
    get paid to upload photos and wallpapers

Quality is still the name of the game. Some pointers in selecting the directories to submit to:

High PR - indication that Google sees some value in the directory.
    Well maintained - listed sites are in the proper category
    High Traffic - getting traffic could be minimal form directories, but majority are targeted
    Kewords ranking high in SERP - Well optimized, shows that the directory is well-marketed and SEO'ed.

Which to avoid:
    Link farms
    Directories that require reciprocal links
    Crappy ones with crappy sites listed
    OneIMS.com - Internet Marketing and SEO

Directories are the easiest to gain backlinks, so why not.

I would say directories are a good start! I have submitted my site to over 2k directories and its working out well to me

No necessary but definitely helpful. But it should be done progressively over time.
    HostGamma.com | HostGamma Europe | HostGamma Asia
    USA, Canada, Brazil, UK, Netherlands, HK, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, Singapore and more
    Operated by Cycom Hong Kong Limited

Quote Originally Posted by sinohosting View Post
    No necessary but definitely helpful. But it should be done progressively over time.
    Couldn't agree with you more!

Quote Originally Posted by sinohosting View Post
    I find the opposite. Many of the directory webmasters are lazy when it comes to approving new submissions, many take weeks, more take months to approve. Submitting to 1000 now means you will probably only see 50-100 links fast, then some more in 2 weeks, then some more in a month, etc..
    William Cross
    Don Halbert *play site*
    william@seofox.com

If you have quality link-ins to your site you should be fine. Are directories necessary? No, but they help.
    TWC, LLC - USA based w/ three teams behind us!
    We will beat any web development or design quote

http://totalwebcentral.com/

I have only submitted to at least 100 directories and my site is doing fine... very fine infact... I sometimes add a few more directories every week.

I hate doing it because it takes time...

I like to chat on forums, gain knowledge, and put your link on there. Its much more fun..

noodle, I use a couple really good indians for submitting mine
    William Cross
    Don Halbert *play site*
    william@seofox.com

I would actually do the submissions myself if I had another site. Wouldn't really rely to outsource as I don't want my site being submitted by an automated software.

Manual Directory submission provides good back links. I think to promote a new website, directory submission is mandatory. It cannot be overlooked. If there is a shortage of time, then it should be given to a company engaged in seo services. If you are looking for one, feel free to PM me for seo services.
    Last edited by broadwayinfotech; 02-22-2008 at 07:08 AM.

I don't see how anyone could not have enough time to submit to one directory a day... how long could it possibly take right?

Yeah... actually I managed to submit our site at a rate of 3 directories daily for two months Got really good backlinks from them...

Quote Originally Posted by nuclei View Post
    I find the opposite. Many of the directory webmasters are lazy when it comes to approving new submissions, many take weeks, more take months to approve. Submitting to 1000 now means you will probably only see 50-100 links fast, then some more in 2 weeks, then some more in a month, etc..
    I agree with Nuclei. I had an experience in which the reciprocal link of the directory site where I submitted my site had been staying in my site for 2 months but my site was not listed in the directory.

zion: yeh, staggering your submitting is an unneccessary task as it happens naturally anyways due to timeframe of acceptances by directories.
    William Cross
    Don Halbert *play site*
    william@seofox.com

Webdirectorys are a great way to get many one way backlinks with desired anchor texts

You don't have time hire somebody

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Related Posts from theWHIR.com