Thread: newbie help

newbie help

i am new to this seen and needing a few questions answered..

firstly i wish to purchase a domain name where is the best place to do this? and does where i purchase it affect where the domain can later be sold in the future.

Secondly once having purchased the domain i need a web host i require very little storage and i am on tight budget who would be best for me?

Thanks for any help

Where you purchase the domain does not affect where the domain can later be sold. You can transfer domains to different domain name registrars than the one you purchased it from.

Keep an eye out for an ICANN-accredited registrar, and you should be safe
    DILIGENThost.com, Canadian hosting based on high-availability w/ 24/7 bilingual (French) support & 100% uptime -> Toll free phone support
    cPanel/WHM 11 + Fantastico, PHP4&5, Private nameservers, Unlimited domains & features, Self Serve DNS...Shared / Reseller / VPS / Dedicated | Webmasters-Inside.com - Come join our new webmaster forum!

get a domain from namecheap.com and avoid hosts who sell 600GB of space for $6.00/month.

my advice: namecheap.com and then its your choice

I advice godaddy.com for domain purchase.
    As for webhosting - try totalchoicehosting.com. Worked with them for several years, no complaints and the budget is ~4$ monthly if you pay for 1 year.

Tucows for domain name registration.
    And do not agree with statement about domain name registrar and web hosting provider. I think you simple have to make sure that web hosting account and account for domain names are separate things and you are owner your domain name (its under your control)
    BTW what are your requriments for space and bandwidth?
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

Hi,

Welcome to the show It is a good idea to separate domain registration from hosting account. Not because someone will cheat you, but because you'll learn more how to manage domains So someone said GoDaddy. They are OK. Search for other domain name registars. Namecheap are also good, 123reg.co.uk, Totalregistrations, Domanisatcost in Canada and many other. Register domain in price range $9 - $15 /year.

About web hosting... There are plenty of good web hosts in WHT. Just choose 5 of them, send e-mail to sales or support and see what will they answer. This way you'll test their responsetime and the way they treat customers.
    DawHB.com - Web Hosting Blog | VPSHostDir.com - VPS Hosting Media

Check the offers from hosts right here on WHT: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4
    Need money? Got money? Want to talk? The Money Forums
    New! Web hosting jobs!

Hi slick704,
    I'm a new member of webhostingtalk.

In my opinion, the best way is to use:
    1. Referral:
    Ask your business acquaintances, friends and family which web hosting provider is used for their respective organizations or if they can otherwise recommend a web hosting provider.

2. Money Back Guarantee:
    A good and reliable web hosting provider will dare to have a money back guarantee policy for their client. It'll will give more confidence knowing their web hosting provider is not some sort of "back yard" company.

3. Check with a particular web hosting provider (through their "contact us" interface) whether they are able to provide service according to your needs in terms of price, storage space, traffic volume permittable and last but not least is for them to provide a guarantee 24/7/365 support (possible in writting).

Hopefully my input can be of help to you.
    Regards,
    G00db0y

Quote Originally Posted by maniakaz View Post
    I advice godaddy.com for domain purchase.
    As for webhosting - try totalchoicehosting.com. Worked with them for several years, no complaints and the budget is ~4$ monthly if you pay for 1 year.
    second on totalchoice