Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Thanks alot, after going with many budget providers in the past, ive come to realise that you really -need- to shell out for a slightly more expensive provider if you want good support.

And when it comes down to it, you -need- good support, no matter who you are, if it takes them days upon days to get your package started up or they only seem to reply to tickets once a day, you're not going to be in for a good ride.

Nice thread. Main thing we have to confirm when choosing a webhost is

primary service of the web host is hosting the business.

the host is flexible in its server types, supported languages, and features.

Thanks good tutorial:-)

good work! thanks 2 share!

This is a very good template for further steps.
    Thanks for the struggling

good article, also don't get into trap of unlimited offers please mind that there are lot of people inside and at one point of time if one slows down every thing slows down because everyone running on one same path.

You get only for what you pay.

Quote Originally Posted by rllunzmann View Post
    Hello WHT Members!

First thing I would like to discuss is that price is not everything! Doesn't matter if your paying .99c for hosting and your site is completely unreliable because in the end, you'll lose money over these problems. Let's go through the considerations that you need to ponder in order to ensure that you get what you need. You want to choose the web host that is going to provide your needs as they stand now as well as where they lead to in the future. Here we go:

1. Understand the differing types of hosts: shared, collocated, unmanaged dedicated, and managed dedicated. Is your site brand new with little traffic? In the event your site is a newer domain, you won't need the raw power of a dedicated server unless your site is resource intensive which can include: streaming, video's, proxies and even linking to videos as well can cause a high load on Apache and the CPU(s).

2. Go for stability, not just size. Just because the host if offering you unmetered and unlimited space, doesn't mean you should soley base your decision on that. What good is that account to you when your site is down or the server is overloaded? Research how long the hosting business has been in operation. See if they have recently changed ownership, and if they show positive cash flow.

3. The possession of fully redundant data centers. If you are considering doing business with a smaller hosting vendor, ensure that they have adequate power and connectivity capabilities. Inquire as to the number of lines the facility has. Do they possess an on-site generator? Does the generator receive regular checks and maintenance? What is the average utilization of the connections available?

4. How skilled is their staff? When you need customer service of a technical nature, you need it immediately, right? Find out the availability of their systems administrators. Send them a support ticket and see how fast they respond.

5. Other customer's reviews of the hosting services. Same as any business, the hosting vendor should be able to provide good references.

6. Is the potential host flexible? In the future, your needs may change. Can you upgrade services should the need arise?

7. This step of course, is optional. Make sure that the host does not have blacklisted IPs. The host that you want to do business with would not be one that promotes illegal sites, spammers, or other security issues. You are considering associating your business with this host. You could always ask them what web server they plan to put you on.

8. Begin with and maintain a clear and written understanding of all services and all charges for them. If questions still remain or some terms are unclear it is strongly advised that you ask for clarification before signing up for anything.

If you do your research before beginning business, you will find a better avenue to the successful hosting, and thereby promotion, of your online business. Take your time in making this important decision.
    "Research" is the first and foremost step. Select few companies on the basis of their reviews on internet (primarily discussion forums) and then go for inspecting their Ticket/or customer Support. I don't have people in my contacts which can help me to choose best possible company, but I have WHT with me.

Ultimately you need a reliable web hosting with good support. Anyone could manipulate everything including reviews. Until you check it out, you would not know. Better check with them their policy of payment, refund policy, network uptime and commitment they provide you and then decide web hosting to choose.
    HostASP.NET offers Affordable, Reliable ASP.NET Web hosting India / USA | Linux plans, Hyper-V Virtual dedicated servers (VPS)

Very true and sometimes web hosts may have a button or icon on their site that allows users to see their uptime. Whether the up-time is managed by their own software or through a 3rd party site which can certainly help with putting the mind at ease. But again don't necessarily base your choice solely on that. These are just tools that you can put in place to help with determining the right host for you. There should always be multiple factors when determining the web host for you.

2. Go for stability, not just size. Just because the host if offering you unmetered and unlimited space, doesn't mean you should soley base your decision on that. What good is that account to you when your site is down or the server is overloaded? Research how long the hosting business has been in operation. See if they have recently changed ownership, and if they show positive cash flow.
    The "unlimited" claim is just nonsense, and this is often the case when advertise with shared hosting, web hosts do this because the knoe most small websites will never ever hit their limits, and offering "unlimited" is just a great way to advertise to them because they're completely oblivious to their actual needs.

I must rather prefer web hosts that will give you a data allowance, I remmember reading a incidence of hostmonster booting a website without warning because they excedded their files quantity limit which was in their small print, they offer unlimited storage, and then offer capped file size, and file quantity limits.. You can do the math and workout the max # of files x file size limit = max storage space, but apparantly it's OK for them to advertise unlimited storage space

I can't tell how many horror stories I have heard in regards to the unsuspecting public being "sucked" into unlimited this and that features. People feel if that they can get that in a plan, they are all set for everything they need down the road.

Having disk space and bandwidth are irrelevant to stability. So if every person that is on the same shared server as you have unlimited this and that, how would you expect the performance of that particular server to turn out? Seeing offers such as that should alone be enough to lead you away. Always figure at least 50-100 accounts on a shared server MINIMAL! Take into affect that each user can have unlimited resources is just plain silly. There isn't enough drive slots to accommodate everyone! Nor is there a 5FT data cable running from that server!

All the best!

great post

Very true and sometimes web hosts may have a button or icon on their site that allows users to see their uptime. Whether the up-time is managed by their own software or through a 3rd party site which can certainly help with putting the mind at ease. But again don't necessarily base your choice solely on that. These are just tools that you can put in place to help with determining the right host for you. There should always be multiple factors when determining the web host for you.
    What I've seen is a host put THEIR domain on an uptime check, yet they have their own domain on a server somewhere else. It's misleading as all (insert choice word here). Ionhosting was one such offender. The actual servers could be down for days (and they were!) and the uptime checker would still show 99.9% because the domain was on another machine with another host.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Great post. Thanks for sharing this information

Thank you very much for the help!

Hello WHT Members!

3. The possession of fully redundant data centers. If you are considering doing business with a smaller hosting vendor, ensure that they have adequate power and connectivity capabilities. Inquire as to the number of lines the facility has. Do they possess an on-site generator? Does the generator receive regular checks and maintenance? What is the average utilization of the connections available?
    I do not agree with this for many reason. One would be up-time and many little data centers provide little for a high and unreasonable price. Hope I didn't offend anyone.
    Very good advices, thank you!
    Sharing is caring

Quote Originally Posted by AldinHost View Post
    I do not agree with this for many reason. One would be up-time and many little data centers provide little for a high and unreasonable price. Hope I didn't offend anyone.
    Very good advices, thank you!
    Sharing is caring
    I think what he said is commong sense, even if its a little datacenter it should had redundancy in place, internet, power, etc. Otherwise why would someone host with them? You would just host from home.

Good job, thanks

very informative well done mate

No 4 is my favourite. Support is very key when i'm choosing a host company.

Hello WHT Members!

First thing I would like to discuss is that price is not everything! Doesn't matter if your paying .99c for hosting and your site is completely unreliable because in the end, you'll lose money over these problems. Let's go through the considerations that you need to ponder in order to ensure that you get what you need. You want to choose the web host that is going to provide your needs as they stand now as well as where they lead to in the future. Here we go:

1. Understand the differing types of hosts: shared, collocated, unmanaged dedicated, and managed dedicated. Is your site brand new with little traffic? In the event your site is a newer domain, you won't need the raw power of a dedicated server unless your site is resource intensive which can include: streaming, video's, proxies and even linking to videos as well can cause a high load on Apache and the CPU(s).

4. How skilled is their staff? When you need customer service of a technical nature, you need it immediately, right? Find out the availability of their systems administrators. Send them a support ticket and see how fast they respond.

5. Other customer's reviews of the hosting services. Same as any business, the hosting vendor should be able to provide good references.

6. Is the potential host flexible? In the future, your needs may change. Can you upgrade services should the need arise?

7. This step of course, is optional. Make sure that the host does not have blacklisted IPs. The host that you want to do business with would not be one that promotes illegal sites, spammers, or other security issues. You are considering associating your business with this host. You could always ask them what web server they plan to put you on.

8. Begin with and maintain a clear and written understanding of all services and all charges for them. If questions still remain or some terms are unclear it is strongly advised that you ask for clarification before signing up for anything.

If you do your research before beginning business, you will find a better avenue to the successful hosting, and thereby promotion, of your online business. Take your time in making this important decision.
    Nice..It is good explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by afam4eva View Post
    No 4 is my favourite. Support is very key when i'm choosing a host company.

I couldn't agree more with you and I'm sure anyone else reading this article. Even if you know how to manage your site from every aspect, if issues occur that only the host can resolve, what good is your plan/account to you when you can't perform the necessary functions that you need to when your site is down OR you are experiencing issues that only root or administrator can resolve.

Thanks for the reply.

-Ryan L.

Very well written, nice thread for beginners those who don't know how to choose a right web host.

Sixfooterbaby: You won't need a dedicated server if this is start-up website. If you can e-mail me the details of exactly what type of dating script your using, I can better provide some answers but it sounds like for now, any sort of general hosting will work for you. Let me know if I can help.

Regards,
    Ryan L.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixfooterbaby View Post
    I am trying to start a Dating Website, and I am new to all of this. Can anyone recommend a hosting site that would be good for the type of service I am trying to provide?

Really u made a good thread.. You have mentioned good topic.. so most of them can get the Right Host for their blogs n websites. nice tutorial

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast