Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Beaverton, OR
    Posts
    261

    Inexpensive, low(er) bandwidth dedicated server.

    Hi folks, I'm looking for an inexpensive dedicated server with the following specs (below). I don't really use much bandwidth but would like something reasonably "snappy". I currently have a VPS at a quality provider but on occasion I notice slight "bogs" in system performance and would prefer a dedicated solution.

    1) ~250 GB bandwidth.
    2) Athlon 4000+, equivalent or better.
    3) One GB ram.
    4) 40 GB HD.
    5) Two IP addresses.
    6) West coast / low pings to Oregon.

    I'm willing to pay around $50, maybe a little more.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,354
    Your requirements/budget are very reasonable. Have you looked in the dedicated offers section? I see a few offers there with low end servers for your budget. Do you need a control panel with that? If you do, note a cpanel license costs anywhere from $20-50/month depending on provider.
    ServerTag Technologies - Everything you need for hosting activity
    A Canadian company providing top notch site hosting, servers and colocation services

  3. #3
    corenetwork have a celeron D for 50 per month, but you'll need to pay extra for the setup fee
    HalfDedi.com Half Dedicated Half Price
    We provide affordable VPS hosting solution Singapore datacenter

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Beaverton, OR
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by sTag-Dan View Post
    Your requirements/budget are very reasonable. Have you looked in the dedicated offers section? I see a few offers there with low end servers for your budget. Do you need a control panel with that? If you do, note a cpanel license costs anywhere from $20-50/month depending on provider.
    It would be nice but it's not required. If the charge was in the $10 range than I would probably get it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,354
    DirectAdmin on the other hand is respectively cheaper than cpanel. Most charge around $10 for that as opposed to cpanel which is more expensive.
    ServerTag Technologies - Everything you need for hosting activity
    A Canadian company providing top notch site hosting, servers and colocation services

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Beaverton, OR
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by markhard View Post
    corenetwork have a celeron D for 50 per month, but you'll need to pay extra for the setup fee
    I actually checked them out but their ping times are a bit higher than I like (85 ms) and their d/l test speeds are pretty slow for me as well (250 KB/sec). My current provider pings around 30ms and averages about 1 MB/sec for downloads.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Beaverton, OR
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by sTag-Dan View Post
    DirectAdmin on the other hand is respectively cheaper than cpanel. Most charge around $10 for that as opposed to cpanel which is more expensive.
    Yeah, I think DirectAdmin would suffice. I just want to get out of the business of editing config files for apache, named, etc.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •