Hosting Puppy - 3 Month Review

Since you guys were miffed with my 1 day review, I thought I'd follow up.

Old thread:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=645354

The primary site I run off HP:
    http://tinyurl.com/236gms

In short, I'm still totally satisfied with Hosting Puppy. I have the $2/mo plan (2GB/20GB) which I pre paid for the year (one month free). This works out to $1.83/mo, not bad!

I used 1.1GB of space and 5GB of bandwidth last month, no complaints from HP.

I typically get 550 visitors a day (900-1300 impressions) and no complaints from HP. I have a second domain getting 30-100 visitors a day on top of that.

I once had 170 users online concurrently on my WP blog and I emailed support to make sure I wasn't going to get myself banned. The support responded very quickly (within an hour) and confirmed I had nothing to worry about. Perfect.

Support is always very quick, effective, and professional. I have nothing but good things to say about support. Jon is clearly partially insane--he follows up on everything to make sure you're happy and all your answers were clear. Very good support!

The support team is all based in Calgary, Alberta Canada. I've said it before and I say it again that I'll be especially faithful to these guys for being a Canadian company! An Albertan company no less, even better!

Despite being only promised support from 8AM-8PM, I routinely get responses right into the wee hours. It's very pleasantly surprising to not expect a reply until morning, and getting a response in 30 minutes at 1AM

One thing I find quite impressive--they can max out my 10mbps internet connection. I'm currently downloading a backup of my site at 895KB/s which is pretty much as good as my connection can do. Pretty darn good for the price to say the least!

The servers I've had a couple small beefs. For a couple weeks, my site was taking 5-8 seconds to load instead of the typical 2-4 seconds. I suspect there were a couple abusive users that took awhile for HP to sort out--it's back to normal now, snappier than ever! I did not email a ticket about this, but I suspect it'd have been resolved sooner if I did.

I have experienced one period of downtime which was scheduled and very brief. I think it was less than 30 minutes, but I can't remember exactly. No concerns for me there.

You can see they have maintained 100% uptime here:

http://www.webhostingstuff.com/uptime/HostingPuppy.html

Another very small beef: They disabled viewing the Server Status panel within cPanel. I used to be able to access it by typing in the URL in the browser bar, but they wised up and blocked me out of that too. Mild disappointment.

My last little beef: The email server was a bit pokey for awhile. It'd take about 5-7 seconds just to tell me I had no new mail. This has been resolved and it's instant now.

All in all, I'm absolutely amazed what I'm getting for $1.83/mo. As long as HP maintains this quality, they'll maintain me as a loyal customer.

9.5/10

I hope their backups aren't corrupt and BS like Hostnine's! Freaking scammers, avoid H9 at all costs.
    Last edited by thatdaveguy; 02-06-2008 at 02:41 AM.

Nice review. I love details.

Jon is clearly partially insane--he follows up on everything to make sure you're happy and all your answers were clear.
    As tired as I am, that managed to put a smile on my face.

HostingPuppy have been getting some good reviews, glad to see they are working for you!

That's not the first time I've been accused of being (partially) insane, but it's the first time it's ever been in a good light

Glad you're happy.

I didn't do anything to turn off the server stats via direct URL, though. Must be a cPanel update or some tweak I made that did that.

For the record, we disable server stats for the same reason we disable the link that allows users to update their own stats - it's unnecessary load. I know it doesn't seem like much, but all these little things add up.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by thatdaveguy View Post

The support team is all based in Calgary, Alberta Canada. I've said it before and I say it again that I'll be especially faithful to these guys for being a Canadian company! An Albertan company no less, even better!
    Just noticed this - I should clarify this as well.

Hosting Puppy is owned by KPG Media Corp which is an Alberta corporation. While KPG Media Corp is still (and will remain) wholly Albertan, I no longer live in Alberta - I live in Nova Scotia. Our budget support is largely outsourced although - as you've mentioned - I do follow up on a lot of tickets because they're not answered to my satisfaction. Our premium support is handled in house for a number of reasons.

So, in fact, there's nobody in Alberta answering your support tickets anymore.

Just wanted to clear that up.

Jon

Thanks for the balanced review. It's nice to get details of bandwidth, daily visitors etc.