Largest hosting provider?

Largest hosting provider of web sites, which is four?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lovecn View Post
    Largest hosting provider of web sites, which is four?
    thanks
    The largest hosting providers for dedicated servers, or number of sites? If you mean a company that just hosts the most web sites, then you can be sure that the top 10 aren't members of this site or advertise here. Do you mean the largest that come to WHT? Dedicated providers, and the number of sites hosted with all of their clients, and a company that's mentioned on WHT?

I would imagine 1and1 and ThePlanet are two of the top four.

ThePlanet.com yes

Theplanet.com addition to the other three?

No one knows?
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 02-07-2008 at 09:01 PM. Reason: merged posts

SoftLayer is pretty big I'm guessing..

Ran already answered one of the others 1and1.com.

The other two, anyone's guess. I don't think softlayer yet but perhaps. Burst, Gnax, Rackspace, Layeredtech?
    André Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

I definitely don't think Burst or Layeredtech are in the top 4. Maybe Rackspace. I don't know enough about Gnax to guess. I'm still wondering if the OP meant providers that are involved in WHT or just anyone?

We need more clarification. What metric are we basing this on, number of individual customers, number or servers, revenue? Are we counting all types of customers/revenue, domain names, SSL certificates, shard hosting, dedicated servers, etc?

If we're not qualifying much... For revenue IBM. Their Global Services division is basically a very managed hosting division that makes more than $40 billion a year... Number of customers, 1&1, according to their reports they have over 7 million customers. Number of servers, I'd have to say The Planet, with ~50,000 servers, though I am really not sure how IBM would compare there.

Rackspace, like IBM, has much higher revenue per server. They can't compare to The planet in number of servers, but I'd imagine their revenue levels are fairly close, though from what I've seen, The Planet would be the largest dedicated provider, in number of servers and revenue.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post
    For revenue IBM. Their Global Services division is basically a very managed hosting division that makes more than $40 billion a year
    As someone who used to work there, I wouldn't quite say that's an accurate description of GS. A huge chunk (and by far the highest margins) of the GS business is from management consulting; what most would consider "managed hosting" is actually a pretty small chunk of that revenue figure (which is closer to $50 billion now I believe).

Yahoo is the largest hosting provider.

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexDrive View Post
    Yahoo is the largest hosting provider.
    According to what metrics? From what I've seen they have "just" 1.5 - 2 million customers.
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

I vote these providers are top 4:
    1and1
    Theplanet
    GNAX
    Layertech

I just recalled a similar thread about this sometime back. I think Netfirms was also in the mix of the top 5.

Quote Originally Posted by loveweb View Post
    I vote these providers are top 4:
    1and1
    Theplanet
    GNAX
    Layertech
    i chose gigenet and 1and1, they are great

ThePlanet, Yahoo, 1and1, Godaddy?

Quote Originally Posted by stanch View Post
    i chose gigenet and 1and1, they are great
    You are not following the question. It's not who you like, it was who are the largest.

Gigenet are not in the ballpark. They are good but not in the 10k + range of servers.
    André Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

For revenue IBM. Their Global Services division is basically a very managed hosting division that makes more than $40 billion a year... Number of customers, 1&1, according to their reports they have over 7 million customers. Number of servers, I'd have to say The Planet, with ~50,000 servers, though I am really not sure how IBM would compare there.

Rackspace, like IBM, has much higher revenue per server. They can't compare to The planet in number of servers, but I'd imagine their revenue levels are fairly close, though from what I've seen, The Planet would be the largest dedicated provider, in number of servers and revenue.
    http://www.theplanet.com/about-us/default.asp

Number 1 privately held dedicated server hosting provider in the world with more than 500 employees (second only to publicly held IBM)

Fourth largest hosting provider of web sites (3.1 million)

Serving more than 22,000 businesses worldwide; 40 percent outside of North America

My guess would be 1and1.

As for the largest single provider my guess would be ThePlanet. Between the high profile companies like Hostgator and Site5 to all the smaller companies and the thousands of dedicated server clients. I think they take the cake, or a large part of it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by dotHostel View Post
    I'm sorry, I'm confused... You gave no additional information, as you were simply confirming what I already said, from what I can tell... Where you just showing "evidence" of my statements?

The only change/addition I see is the "Number 1 privately held dedicated server hosting provider in the world with more than 500 employees (second only to publicly held IBM.)" My guess is that that is based on revenue, though I don't know how they would compare their revenue to Rackspace, since Rackspace is a privately held company that does not release financials readily. Though since they don't really give a metric as to how they make that claim, it makes it hard to gain too much from that.

I'm sorry, I'm confused... You gave no additional information, as you were simply confirming what I already said, from what I can tell... Where you just showing "evidence" of my statements?

The only change/addition I see is the "Number 1 privately held dedicated server hosting provider in the world with more than 500 employees (second only to publicly held IBM.)" My guess is that that is based on revenue, though I don't know how they would compare their revenue to Rackspace, since Rackspace is a privately held company that does not release financials readily. Though since they don't really give a metric as to how they make that claim, it makes it hard to gain too much from that.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fsb/f...1420/index.htm

How to make a true profit
    November 6 2006: 12:22 PM EST

Rackspace currently hosts 10,800 customers on 25,000 servers in six data centers. Four are in the U.S., and two are outside London.

Rackspace posted net income of $9 million on revenues of $140 million in 2005. Weston says revenues will probably top $210 million in 2006, the company's eighth consecutive year of double-digit growth.

The 1,100-member workforce is divided into teams organized around groups of customers.

Thanks, I had trouble finding much reference to Rackspace numbers, though 2005 numbers are still over 2 years old at this point, that does show current numbers are not readily available if that is the best we can find. :-)

Last I heard, The Planet and EV1 combined revenue for 2005 was in the $110 million ballpark. Then also having twice as many employees as The Planet that would seem to indicated The Planet is at least third, behind IBM and Rackspace, unless they somehow experienced significantly faster growth than Rackspace since the end of 2005. Either way, I find The Planet's claim as being the largest privately held firm to not be very solid, and definitely not credible enough to base much of anything on.

In the end, it seem IBM is clearly #1, with Rackspace and The Planet in a close race for 2nd, if we're basing this on revenue, which I feel would be the most important metric. Otherwise, what other way is there to compare 2 million shared hosting customers vs. 22,000 dedicatd server customers?

Some bits of recent information:

Rackspace
    2003 Revenue $56.6 million
    2006 Revenue $224.0 million
    Growth 295.6%
    Employees 1238
    Ranked No. 99 in the Top 100 Companies By Dollars of Growth
    http://www.inc.com/inc5000/2007/comp...l?id=200712160
    The Planet
    2003 Revenue $34.1 million
    2006 Revenue $107.9 million
    Growth 216.7%
    Employees 500
    http://www.inc.com/inc5000/2007/comp...l?id=200716550
    Rackspace had revenue of $75.2 million and positive net income in the first quarter of 2007, when it signed more than 900 new customers.
    http://news.netcraft.com/archives/20...rackspace.html
    Rackspace Managed Hosting, has released its third quarter results for 2007, detailing revenue of $96.2 million, representing a 63 percent increase over the third quarter of 2006
    http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...4/daily26.html
    Rackspace announced the company has been ranked 32 on Fortune'S 11th annual "100 Best Companies to Work For" list.

With a worldwide workforce of 2,000 employees, or "Rackers", Rackspace created more than 500 jobs in the U.S. in 2007.
    http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2008/01/28/3232867.htm
    Last edited by dotHostel; 02-10-2008 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dotHostel View Post
    Some bits of recent information:
    So how is The Planet claiming to be the, "Number 1 privately held dedicated server hosting provider in the world" when it seems Rackspace is significantly larger than them?

Seems the order is set them, IBM, Rackspace, The Planet.

i'd have to go with rackspace for individual servers - companies probably have tens/hundreds of thousands at a time. bad comparison for individual customers though.
    semi-retired

IBM?

Aren't they the largest publicly held provider?

When I read ThePlanet's claims it sounds like they are basing it on server count, which would make it accurate.

From the numbers listed in this thread, sounds like ThePlanet has 2x the servers as Rackspace, but half the revenue and half the staff. Shows the difference in market segments, huh?

I think that some sources reported 1and1 as biggest web host. Thye opeate in U.S., UK and Germany. But what kind of web hosts do we discuss - those who host consumer and small websites of those who host large financial or institutional databases. Those are very different.
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor

IBM runs the world's largest commercial technology infrastructure, with more than 8 million-square feet of data centers in six continents.

AT&T will expand its data center network, with plans to add 180,000 square feet of hosting space as part of a broader $1 billion expansion of its network. The additional space will be built out in AT&T's 38 existing data centers around the world, with a focus on four markets: Boston, Dallas, Singapore and Amsterdam. The company's 2008 expansion budget is 33 percent larger than last year's, and is being driven by "explosive surge in data, voice and video traffic."

The expansion, which will give AT&T nearly 2.3 million square feet of data center space, comes just six months after the company announced new data centers in Toronto and Piscataway, New Jersey. In late 2006 AT&T added data centers in Chicago and Shanghai, China.

AT&T's network expansion also includes:

New undersea fiber optic cable capacity to Japan and Asia
    New core MPLS routers in Europe, Asia and the U.S.
    New network-to-network connections to extend network reach into high growth markets in Asia Pacific (India, Australia), Eastern Europe (Russia, Kyrgyzstan, Belarus, Mongolia) and South America
    The rollout of a global virtual private local area network solution, initially in the U.S., Europe and Asia Pacific. By year-end 2008, AT&T expects to have an Ethernet footprint in 39 countries.

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/a...on_dallas.html

If this report is to be belived :

Hosting companies along with nos of domains hosted

1 WILDWESTDOMAINS.COM : 17,233,887
    2 ENOM.COM : 4,399,788
    3 NETWORKSOLUTIONS.COM : 2,608,850
    4 YAHOO.COM : 2,545,704
    5 ONEANDONE.COM : 2,232,708

Source : http://www.webhosting.info/webhosts/tophosts/global/

Yeah, I don't think the number of domains using their nameservers counts or answers the question -- especially when some are primarily (or solely) domain registrars.