Question PHP BB 2.1 questions....

Heya Everyone.... I'm a fuctional webhosting company, but i'm having some php Bulletin board issues.... Can anyone help out here?

THanks,

Dedric

I can help. Can you say more about the "problem?"

What are the issues? I am far from a phpbb expert but I have a couple sites running it and have ran into a couple issues.. mainly with the installation part..

yes the instructions, say that you have to assign open permissions on a certain file...but Seemingly i cant find the instructions or the file i'm supposed to change teh permissions on exactly.. So i' kind of perplexed here...

The installation part of this ..is kind of a "bitch" if you'll pardon the expression....

chmod the ascii files to 755. There's a user's guide and installation sheet at phpbb.com here: http://phpbb.com/guide/phpBB_Users_Guide.html#section2

Hope that helps.

Cool TY...

The only file that you should need to chmod to install phpBB is config.php. It only needs to be writable by the web server while the install runs. Once you're done installing, you can set it back to 644.

The install writes db info etc. into the config file.

Frank
    Umbra Hosting
    cPanel | Softaculous | CloudLinux | R1Soft | Ksplice
    Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation
    UmbraHosting.com

okay...It might help to explain that i'm running this on a Win2k server ..not a Solaris box..where i would need to use the commands Chmod or anything like that.. but I do understand what chmod means...tho heh...

Moving on....I've chmod'd the file permissions on the congfig.php file...I"ve created a systme db in ms access that forums can use.. and its still not working for somereason...any ideas here?

Thanks,
    Dedric
    www.dark-knights.org
    www.killerweb-hosting.com
    www.shinjukudev.com

I could be way way off but I was under the impression phpbb was a *nix only thing..

According to the phpBB.com forum, win2K is supported, though I have no experience with that myself. Are you getting an error of some kind?

I'd suggest posting on the phpBB support forum . I've only worked with phpBB on *nix, but it does work on W2K with Access.

Frank
    Umbra Hosting
    UmbraHosting.com

if you are a fuctional webhosting company, then get vBulletin!!
    www.rackfive.com
    Aquired by Data Provider LLC.

Maybe I have lost my mind, but I wasn't aware that php interfaced with msaccess. I thought for php to run on windows, you needed apache (or other php capable httpd) and mysql.
    *AlphaOmegaHosting.Com* - Hosting since 1998
    Managed Dedicated Servers and VPS
    Hosted Exchange 2010 Email Service

Don't know much about it either, but I did find this: http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.windows.php

Have you tried posting in the support section of phpbb.com? Everytime I've posted there, people have been more than helpful in solving my problems (and I had a *lot* of problems), no disrepect to people here, but they will probably have a better chance of helping you than ppl here.

Originally posted by gtangsk
    Have you tried posting in the support section of phpbb.com? Everytime I've posted there, people have been more than helpful in solving my problems (and I had a *lot* of problems), no disrepect to people here, but they will probably have a better chance of helping you than ppl here.
    i agree

hehe..you'll love this setup..I'm working with right now....Currently... I'm running php bb with MySQL on Win2k server... I"m also, running IIS currently and I'm working on getting Apache (for windows) working.... Its a bitch..I wont lie to you guys....but in the long run , Its gonna be so worth it... and to add....once my other server boxes come in...Those will be either Red Hat Servers..or Mandrake 8.2....I'm still not completely sure..although.. Debian Linux has been suggested to me as well .
    What do you guys think?

THanks
    Dedric

Dedric,

My suggestion would be to stop torturing yourself and just wait until your linux boxes are available. With straight Apache/MySQL phpBB takes about 5 minutes to setup.

Frank
    Umbra Hosting
    UmbraHosting.com

WEll any well set up host on Windows running IIS would have no problem setting up a phpbb2.1 because I am hosted on gearhost and had no PROBLEM at all. You need to set the permissions to writeable, I dont really know how you do this, I do it through the gearhost control panel.

I dont see the problem you would be having.. it runs fine on IIS and windows...
    Video.Gaming.Insider-
    VGinsider.com
    Hosted by Gearhost.com