Cheap dedicated server with loads of HDD

Hi,

We're looking for a dedicated server which is cheap and has loads of HDD. This server is used fully for backup usage so it doesn't has to have a great deal of CPU or RAM. Just to make a simple Dirvish/Rsync backup running.

At the moment we could have a dedicated with 2x400Gb HDD for 49 EUR(+99 EUR setup fee) per month, any cheaper available?

This post will get more attention in here.

Note sure of any, but check the offers section.

At the moment we could have a dedicated with 2x400Gb HDD for 49 EUR(+99 EUR setup fee) per month, any cheaper available?
    By the way: Sounds nice, which provider?

I'm also interested in that kind of offers, if suggest him any good provider in germany/europe , let me know

I think you talk about Hetzner.de, right?

This will be the best offer in this low price section - even the bandwith will cost more than 49 Euro/month...

Quote Originally Posted by space2rent View Post
    I think you talk about Hetzner.de, right?
    Hetzner has .. anyway postmodern BW/TrafficLimits.
    1 TB is not very much, especially not for a Backupserver with 500+ HD.

From one's own experience i proove that the networkspeed is not the best available.
    Think about a cheap server and upgrade to more (HD)Space.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmnacht View Post
    Hetzner has .. anyway postmodern BW/TrafficLimits.
    1 TB is not very much, especially not for a Backupserver with 500+ HD.

From one's own experience i proove that the networkspeed is not the best available.
    Think about a cheap server and upgrade to more (HD)Space.
    Hetzner BW is unmetered. The first 1TB is 100Mbps after the connection is downgraded to 10Mbps. Optionally a permanent 100Mbps will be charged 0,09 € (incl. VAT) per additional GB over 1TB.

My experience with Hetzner is excellent. Rock solid hardware/network, free perks as 50GB NAS backup space, and more for very low prices. Surely they offer the best value in Europe in their category.
    Last edited by dotHostel; 02-06-2008 at 07:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dotHostel View Post
    Hetzner BW is unmetered. The first 1TB is 100Mbps after the connection is downgraded to 10Mbps. Optionally a permanent 100Mbps will be charged 0,09 (incl. VAT) per additional GB over 1TB.
    Even for GERMANY this is very less BW.
    Server4you, Valueserver, strato.. have 2 TB until the downgrade to 10mbps.
    Some other hosts have 3-5 TB (hosteurope), acceptable values i think.
    Long time ago i worked with a Hetzner-Server and the speed was, compared to my current server extremly bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmnacht View Post
    Even for GERMANY this is very less BW.
    Server4you, Valueserver, strato.. have 2 TB until the downgrade to 10mbps.
    Some other hosts have 3-5 TB (hosteurope), acceptable values i think.
    There are lots of providers offering 100Mbps connections for very low prices. The catch is many times it is just huge overselling of "best-effort" (shared) bandwidth and you get less performance than a server with 1Mbps dedicated bw.

Quote Originally Posted by dotHostel View Post
    There are lots of providers offering 100Mbps connections for very low prices. The catch is many times it is just huge overselling of "best-effort" (shared) bandwidth and you get less performance than a server with 1Mbps dedicated bw.
    Gossiping, as you may know, my server has gigabit shared for a very low price, and i easily get 500Mbit.
    Formerly i had 100Mbit, I got 100Mbit everytime i needed.. shared maybe, but no (hard-)limits. And 600G space-
    * Don't know american habits, but i'm proud of my .DE.

I also like very much DE providers. I have servers with Hetzner and NetDirekt. Could you please name your providers? I'm ever interested to know good companies.

Regarding the US, until recently I had servers with Softlayer and each server was able to transfer up to the connection limit (10Mbps,100Mbps,1Gbps) without any problem because SL has plenty of bandwidth headroom. Being said that, SL is not cheap and includes just 2TB of premium bandwidth -- charging $0.10/GB bw overages.

Softlayer is very nice. Know that from a short, but intensive hacking career.. never mind.

My Provider is "Keyweb".
    No Trafficlimits as is said. Which does not mean i like these "Hey let's do some douzend TB per month".. but i like this mixed traffic calculation - a great effort to user-friendly, customized hosting. Also the hardware is worth its pric - little bit slow HDs (especially for gigabit), but nice ram/cpu. As a special "reward" for having a slower processor (1210) for a month because they didn't have enough 1212Cpus, i got a 1214 for free. These things discern the low-quality and maybe for their offers to expensive hosts from the really reliable and oftenly affordable hosts.

Keyweb looks great. Thank you very much for the information.

PS: I'm impressed. Very low cost add-ons and this is the first EU provider I found doesn't charge for W2K3.
    Last edited by dotHostel; 02-06-2008 at 09:33 AM.

Because of this i host my gigabit w2003 Server there.

There, everything is a matter of calculation.

For example
    "storage-server" (attention: "downloadservers" are not toleratered!)
    Cheapest server + 2*320 GB hdd
    = monthly fee + 2*hdd monthly + setup server/HDD
    sub total, cheaper than any pre-configured servers from eg. hetzner.

Edit:
    Disadvantages at keyweb(linuxadmin told me):
    - no remote console
    - bad webinterface ("KCM")
    - trafficmonitoring sometimes doesn't work - not important due to "dflat", but a lack of information