Thread: Advice on this?

Hello guys, I'd like to know on the difference between using a cheaper host like siteground and bluehost to a more expensive one like "lexiconn". The cheaper one is so much cheaper, but it offers much more disk space and data transfer. Also, I've seen alot of complains about those cheaper hosts.

I would really appreciate it if you guys could educate me a little on this, and advice me from your personal experience and knowledge. Thank you!

Split post from an unrelated topic.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

Quote Originally Posted by jake12 View Post
    Hello guys, I'd like to know on the difference between using a cheaper host like siteground and bluehost to a more expensive one like "lexiconn". The cheaper one is so much cheaper, but it offers much more disk space and data transfer. Also, I've seen alot of complains about those cheaper hosts.

I would really appreciate it if you guys could educate me a little on this, and advice me from your personal experience and knowledge. Thank you!
    If you read some threads on here it will become obvious. You are correct that there is more of a difference than price.

Regards,

There are something called 'overselling' in the hosting industry.

Check this out:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overselling
    Aspiration Hosting [US • UK • SG • AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    • LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo •

• Web Development Support • Unmetered Bandwidth • Aspiration CDN • Magento Optimized •

For many cheap shared plans, their 1T+ disk space and BW are more like a lip service. You may never have chance to use that much space and BW.

I don't fell that cheap = bad service, just try one of the hostings companys you suggest and let us know how it was.

Thanks for your reply guys! You guys are the best, I'm happy to be part of this forum. I hope I can be the one helping people out soon

Blue Host is a sincking ship

Sorry sinking ship too stressed out to think right now. Thank goodness for these forums to release all the stress I have acquired from the poor support, management, and web development. I would have benefited more if I used the money I lost to blue host as toilet paper. If did not design the website and manual insert text and correct all the spelling mistakes, the website would not have anything done to it. It has been 7 months since my initial payment an d the blue host website is still not online and has more problem as they pretend to email me saying that they performed work with no action really taken. If there was ever a hell on planet Earth, it would have originated from bluehost. It's truly embarrassing to even be associated with bh. I wish there was redemption process to get back all the lost time and money and life they took from me.
    Last edited by BHBasterd; 02-06-2008 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BHBasterd View Post
    Sorry sinking ship too stressed out to think right now. Thank goodness for these forums to release all the stress I have acquired from the poor support, management, and web development. I would have benefited more if I used the money I lost to blue host as toilet paper. If did not design the website and manual insert text and correct all the spelling mistakes, the website would not have anything done to it. It has been 7 months since my initial payment an d the blue host website is still not online and has more problem as they pretend to email me saying that they performed work with no action really taken. If there was ever a hell on planet Earth, it would have originated from bluehost. It's truly embarrassing to even be associated with bh. I wish there was redemption process to get back all the lost time and money and life they took from me.
    Hi, sorry to hear your story. What is your domain that is hosted with bh? Please post it here or report it to the moderators for verification. Thanks.
    Aspiration Hosting [US • UK • SG • AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    • LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo •

• Web Development Support • Unmetered Bandwidth • Aspiration CDN • Magento Optimized •

Hello guys, I'd like to know on the difference between using a cheaper host like siteground and bluehost to a more expensive one like "lexiconn". The cheaper one is so much cheaper, but it offers much more disk space and data transfer.
    I think there are 3 types of hosts:
    1) not overselling (totalchoicehosting)
    2) heavy overselling
    3) a bit overselling. (downtownhost)
    The problem is, host can offer you any amount of space. Or even "unlimited", "unmetered" space and bandwith. These hosts usually coutn on greediness: if I can get 1 terabytes of space and 500 terabytes of bandwith for 2 $, why should I pay totalchoice or downtownhost ~6$ for lower space/bandwith? Now, the point is:
    a) almost no one would ever use these hundreds of gigabytes of space or bandwith;
    b) if one begins to use, it is very likely (based on reports at WHT - no direct experience) that host would use TOS and suspend account because of overloading server.
    Besides from this trick, it is very likely the customer of heavy overselling cheap host will also get poor support.
    You can count the number yourself: how much does 1 gigabyte of disk space cost; how much does 1 gagabyte of bandwith cost; and finally, some salaries for personell. Now try to calculate how much will it cost to hold one customer if the customer fully uses all resources.

What do you need to know is:
    1) calculate how many space will your website require. If it takes 100 megs, it is unlikely to grow into 10 gigs.
    2) how much bandwith it will use. Do not fear to over-estimate (for example, your 100 meg site is counted go generate 10 gigs traffic but it makes 5 or 6), fear to under-estimate.
    3) the folk at WHT coined a phrase: you get wht you pay for. Remember this.

In short, dirty cheap host is always one to avoid to.
    I have no experience with such hosts as I prefer quality to quantity and my experience with all past hosts (totalchoice, site5 and current - downtownhost) is very hood.

Indeed, it's not about if you'll actually use even a small portion of the unrealistic limits they pretend to offer, it's that because of their structure, you can't even use the small portion of what you were promised and have paid for. They are counting on nothing more than their client base being uneducated and tolerant of shoddy service and lies. That is literally what it comes down to. Don't get me wrong, it clearly works for some hosts, but overall it's just luck they are still in business, except that there are a lot of uneducated clients. Any respectable web hosting provider will only promise and give you quality and what you actually pay for, and not slack on quality just for bulk pricing that can't even be actually offered anyway. That does no one any good.

Blue Host is killing me

At this time I would not choose Blue Host. Here are my reasons:
    1: They promised me a working custom website in 6 weeks. It has been 6 months and still not working
    2.I have to keep repeating myself and calling the project manager to get changes done.
    3. They have a hard time implementing my requests.
    4. They try and charge me more money for items that should be part of the package for example a working shopping cart.
    5. They do not test what the implement and I end up being the Q&A
    6. They actual said my website is finished and finalized with while I am still giving them daily updates without even asking me if it is ready.
    7. They registered my website with all the search engines when my website looks like hell and my merchant account is not working
    8. when someone purchases a service from my website, the correct information only has to be the credit card. The name and date is not even checked other than that field and info in it or the date is the right format. I have had fraud attempts ever since the first day they activated my merchant account from the website Bluehost is doing for me. People are calling me asking me why I charged their credit cards. I had to put in my merchant account into test mode so none of my other website can work now.
    9. I had to create a merchant developers account for Bluehost to integrate my website. I had to give them access to log into my merchant account where all my customer account are. They still do not have it working after I have provided them with all their requirements.
    10. Per my project manager. I said when purchasing a service there is no place to put the address. He said yes there is and it is not called address it is called “Company (Optional)” a one line text field. I asked him if he was joking. He said no and we will charge you for another line for an address working or not.
    11. I have called emailed and left messages for both the project manager, developer, and supervisor with no response. I will be calling the better business Bureau if this keeps up. Let me know if anyone else out there would like to join my campaign. Here is my website activeip something net

1: They promised me a working custom website in 6 weeks. It has been 6 months and still not working
    Then this is more about their web development services, than hosting.

If you don't ming me asking, how much have you paid then so far?

Too much edynamo

Well blue host owns the web development edynamo group that is attempting to developing my website. Without looking too stupid I've paid more than $2k so far and they are asking me to pay more in order to get the website working when they have not even fixed all the mistakes I've already paid for. Make sure when you look for a web designer you have all the details of exactly how they are going to implement the website DB type, merchant account, PHP, ASPX etc... You almost have to be a web designer yourself to avoid being taken advantage of.

I just wanted to point out that E-Dynamo is not owned or operated by BlueHost. E-Dynamo is a partner who handles web design for them and is a completely separate company based out of California. http://edynamo.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Todendron View Post
    I just wanted to point out that E-Dynamo is not owned or operated by BlueHost. E-Dynamo is a partner who handles web design for them and is a completely separate company based out of California. http://edynamo.com/
    Well, when you refer people to them in the form that Bluehost does (http://design.bluehost.com/design/index.php), it's easy to have your brand lumped in with the company you're just partner with.