Burst? Superb? LT?

I'm having some major indecision right now...

I'm considering moving my server to another provider, to move it out here on the East Coast. I'm currently on a low-budget server at Layered Tech. They've been good, but I want the machine re-imaged ($50) and would prefer East Coast anyway. I've seen two deals today, but I don't know a lot about the two companies. By the way, bandwidth quantity isn't a big deal for me: I'm having my busiest month ever, and might hit 20 GB transfer this month. Bandwidth quality, however, is important: I'm looking to host a small game server, for example, so I'm interested in things like periodic packet loss or intermittent failures.

- Burst has a special, a 2.4 GHz Celeron, 1 GB RAM, 60 GB disk. $50 a month.

- Superb offers two 2.66 GHz P4s, 512 MB RAM, and an 80 GB disk, for $69 a month. I don't need two servers, but it's only nominally more than the Burst deal, and would permit me to do some reselling.

Searching has been less than helpful. I'm confused by the difference between Burst and Nocster (are they synonymous?).

Given the choice, would you prefer Burst or Superb? Is the latter deal (or their bandwidth quality) worth paying a little more?

Thanks in advance!

Quality of Bandwidth for Superb was always great when I was with them, though I have seen they have had some power issues at the DCA location, but they seem to be installing a new generator for that. Rule of thumb I go by..

you get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by fog View Post
    I'm having some major indecision right now...

I'm considering moving my server to another provider, to move it out here on the East Coast. I'm currently on a low-budget server at Layered Tech. They've been good, but I want the machine re-imaged ($50) and would prefer East Coast anyway. I've seen two deals today, but I don't know a lot about the two companies. By the way, bandwidth quantity isn't a big deal for me: I'm having my busiest month ever, and might hit 20 GB transfer this month. Bandwidth quality, however, is important: I'm looking to host a small game server, for example, so I'm interested in things like periodic packet loss or intermittent failures.

- Burst has a special, a 2.4 GHz Celeron, 1 GB RAM, 60 GB disk. $50 a month.

- Superb offers two 2.66 GHz P4s, 512 MB RAM, and an 80 GB disk, for $69 a month. I don't need two servers, but it's only nominally more than the Burst deal, and would permit me to do some reselling.

Searching has been less than helpful. I'm confused by the difference between Burst and Nocster (are they synonymous?).

Given the choice, would you prefer Burst or Superb? Is the latter deal (or their bandwidth quality) worth paying a little more?

Thanks in advance!

Yes they are almost the same, except burst.net side is 100% managed and the nocster side is semi-managed.

You may want to check there Valentines Day Sale!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_M View Post
    Hmm, I would probably go for the burst offer. 512MB of ram isnt going to get you very far, especially if you add a control panel into the mix. I would also take a look at the TOS of each provider and see if it meets your expectations.
    I agree with this as more ram is always good. Now If your going to run a control panel like cpanel... then don't except it too run great on 512...
    Robert Merrihue - President/CEO
    http://www.bethehost.com
    Where resellers become a host on servers we own and operate.
    Web Hosting Since 2000 *** 12+ Years in the hosting industry

Sure those prices are great but do a search on Burst's downtime reports on this forum before you send them any money. Their network downtime hurt our business and resulted in us leaving their company. You mention that you're having your busiest month ever... now imagine your website offline for a full day. If that scares you, I suggest not going with Burst.

We began with Superb years ago and never had many big issues with them aside from growth. We're not with them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Mekhu View Post
    do a search on Burst's downtime reports on this forum before you send them any money. Their network downtime hurt our business and resulted in us leaving their company.
    When was this? I've seen some reports to this effect, but they were several years ago. Has this happened more recently, too?

Quote Originally Posted by fog View Post
    When was this? I've seen some reports to this effect, but they were several years ago. Has this happened more recently, too?

It is a hardware failure and wherever you go, it will happen.

They didn't anticipate the problem for sure. It's just happen.

Net
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

<< When was this? I've seen some reports to this effect, but they were several years ago. Has this happened more recently, too? >>

NO, it has NOT.
    Excessive exaggeration at work by that individual...

We meet our advertised 99.5% uptime, and actually typically hit 99.9%+.

What's Burst's 2.4G Celeron, 1G RAM special offer link?
    As far as I know, Burst is self-managed.

Quote Originally Posted by john8 View Post
    What's Burst's 2.4G Celeron, 1G RAM special offer link?
    http://www.nocster.com/sale.shtml -- Celery plus an extra 512.

As far as I know, Burst is self-managed.
    I was actually in the market for self-managed anyway.

<< I was actually in the market for self-managed anyway. >>

It's inexpensive enough as it is, compared to other providers "unmanaged" servers.

You are free to lock us out and manage the server completely yourself of course...

Quote Originally Posted by BurstNET View Post
    << When was this? I've seen some reports to this effect, but they were several years ago. Has this happened more recently, too? >>

NO, it has NOT.
    Excessive exaggeration at work by that individual...

We meet our advertised 99.5% uptime, and actually typically hit 99.9%+.
    99.5% or not. What that doesn't reflect is the 2 + days in the beginning of January where the network was a yo-yo.

Yes, the network overall would go completely down for 10 - 15 minutes at a time. But there were two days straight that we had 10% - 40% packet loss. The only answer we had was "router maintenance". You would think after 7 years there would be some redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by slip9 View Post
    99.5% or not. What that doesn't reflect is the 2 + days in the beginning of January where the network was a yo-yo.

Yes, the network overall would go completely down for 10 - 15 minutes at a time. But there were two days straight that we had 10% - 40% packet loss. The only answer we had was "router maintenance". You would think after 7 years there would be some redundancy.
    Downtime total was about 41mins for us, which, in comparison to other incidences accross other, higher "guaranteed" uptime DC's, was pretty amazing.
    Afterburst - the best unmetered VPS - read why here!

You get what you pay for. Check out Theplanet.com. Saving $50-100/mo. (if even that much, depending on what you're looking at), just isn't worth the hassle. People are saying good things about SoftLayer.com as well (they were okay in my experience, but not that great).

I've used LayeredTech and BurstNET. Of the two, I'd recommend BurstNET for lower pricing and better/faster support - BurstNET will typically help you with small issues as they do have a "basic managed" plan whereas LT will only assist in hardware/OS related issues. I can't say much about Superb as I've never used them.
    Nick Hudson - Prevail Host LLC - http://www.prevail.host/
    Premium Quality cPanel Hosting Services - CloudLinux, LiteSpeed & SSD
    WHMControl - Secure Your Server Logins & Automate Password Changes