Equipment/Expenses for a Small/Medium Size Datacenter?

I need help determining the equipment/expenses for a small datacenter/office space in NC. I can find the prices, but list some equipment that are neccessary and optional. I know I need server racks/a dedicated connection line as well. What else do I need?

redundancy is a must unless you want pissed off customers.

So here's a list I compiled for equipment I need.

Datacenter Space (duh lol)
    Dedicated Bandwidth Line (a few of them most likely)
    Generator/UPS System
    Racks for Servers
    Switches/Routers
    Climate Control Systems
    Backup Servers (for backing up data on client servers) (would this be considered redundancy?)
    Security Systems
    Work Area (for colo's)
    Lobby for Checkins/etc
    Small Office space for employees

Your 30 days payable should be pretty easy to estimate.

Bandwidth
    Power (electric/gas)
    Water
    Insurance
    Payroll
    Rent/Mortgage

Figure bandwidth and power will both be the most expensive 30 day payables.. From there, insurance and payroll are next

As for equipment, you could figure a lot of that equation into 30 days payable by leasing.

Without knowing your area it's rather difficult to put a number on the costs. The key expenses are listed above..
    Jeremy Anthony Kinsey ([email protected]) - 262-248-6759
    Budget Dedicated Servers/Colocation HostDrive.Com
    cPanel Hosting/Dedicated Servers HostingLizard.Com
    19 Years in the Hosting Business!

The area I'm in is North Carolina. Which companies offer good quality bandwidth, I don't wanna skimp on that lol. Also, what are some decent specs I need to aim for in my servers? Should I start out offering dedicateds or what?

Last edited by dotHostel; 02-04-2008 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Karbon View Post
    The area I'm in is North Carolina. Which companies offer good quality bandwidth, I don't wanna skimp on that lol. Also, what are some decent specs I need to aim for in my servers? Should I start out offering dedicateds or what?
    I would look at places like Sprint, ATT, Savvis, Cogent, Charger and TW.. A good redundancy plan would include at least two providers. Perhaps the LEC and the incumbent cable provider might be good places to start. You can get a good idea of your costs by simply getting a quote from the LEC, that will be a good indicator on what the transit is going to average. From their your bw will vary depending on the carrier, and the volume/level of service you choose.

It's safe to say that bandwidth alone will probably be a few hundred (maybe thousands) a month right?

I'm going to a small business workshop in a few days to get more info on starting it. I pretty much know how to run it, it's just a matter of getting the cash to startup. There's not many datacenters here, so I should get some client base.

It's safe to say that bandwidth alone will probably be a few hundred (maybe thousands) a month right?
    Sure, again, it really depends on what you are getting. BW can be around $10 to $100 per meg per month depending on the quality and quantity.

The largest factor that will dictate your price into the hundreds vs. thousands, or tens of thousands vs, hundreds of thousands is the transit itself, ie., the method of delivery. If you can get 100Mbit for $25/mo. per meg, but the loop that carries it to you is $15k month... I think you can begin to see what I am talking about.

Again, you best bet is to consult with the LEC or get some quotes from brokers. The LEC can tell you how far you are from their switch, and this can be a good starting point for you determining an average cost for transit. From there it is really easy to find out an average price per MB for the various popular carriers of the day.

I'm going to a small business workshop in a few days to get more info on starting it. I pretty much know how to run it, it's just a matter of getting the cash to startup. There's not many datacenters here, so I should get some client base.
    What kind of workshop is it? Just "Small Business", or something more specific to what you are going to be doing?

It's on writing the business plan, funding a business, etc.

How much bandwidth (mbps or gbps) should I look to have for starting out. Also, should I get 2 lines incase one goes down?

Once I get the datacenter up and running, would it be wise to talk to local web design firms on renting datacenter space for their servers or how would I go about advertising space?

Business plan, redundancy, and redundancy.
    Crash carts and tool benches are nice too, along with a "work room" with wifi and a phone.

Redundancy for power, AKA two separate power grids is on your building on separate sides so each power strip in a cabinet is on a different power grid (two total). Two fiber entrance points so connections are redundant at two points in the building making true multi-homed connectivity. Also your cabinets and datacenter should be earthquake ready.

Lastly on-site techs although initial planning can do without these figures.
    Robert Davis - CEO/Network Operations Manager
    Cyberdog Internet Services - Hosting solutions for all.
    Latest cPanel
    - PHP5,Ruby,CloudFlare - Fantastico De Luxe - SSLLabs A+ - Dual Oct Core
    99.9% SLA - 30min support - 24x7 Status Site - 60 Day Money Back

Definitely thousands, no question about that. Depending on the carrier, the location, if there is setup required (i.e. bringing fiber to the building) you can expect to pay upwards of $7000 a month per 100mbit line.
    SHAW NETWORKS Simple. Professional. Reliable. Web Hosting Done Right.
    Low Cost & Award-Winning: cPanel Reseller Plans 24/7/365 Live Technical Support
    Website: www.shawnetworks.com Fast Response E-mail: sales @ shawnetworks.com
    Sick of downtime? Fed up with excuses? Drop your host! Switch to Shaw Networks.

You mentioned that you were in NC and that there weren't many data centers around.

If you're planning on opening a Data Center in an area where there aren't many data centers, you may want to as yourself "why aren't there any data centers around here?"

I bring this up as it comes in conjunction with the discussion centering around transit costs for bandwidth providers to get to your location. The closer you are to a major metro area (Raleigh-Durham), the more likely it is that you will have lower transit costs as you'll be closer to your bandwidth providers' POP, or point of presence.

You may want to consider calling the providers you're looking at using (we always recommend Level3 and Global Crossing) to see where their locations are.

There are many buildings who already have connectivity to these providers. These are often called Telco Hotels. Building (or subletting from a larger datacenter in the area, like caro.net) your DC in one of these places will cut down on your transit fees. Just a few things to think about.
    E Solutions by WOW! Business
    Collocation, DR, VMWare Hosting in our Data Centers
    SSAE-16 Type II Certified with locations in Tampa, FL and Columbus, OH
    Call Now! 813-301-2600

Don't bother setting up in an office space. The cooling expenses and logistics alone will kill you. Been there, done that. You are going to be absolutely stunned at the amount of heat a couple dozen servers can generate. You will need at least a 20 ton A/C unit and the power to run it. In the end, you're going to be stuck with extremely high electric and bandwidth bills and you won't be able to charge your customers enough to make it worth it for you or them. They'll be paying premium pricing for sub-standard colocation from you.

Find an existing data center in your area and use it.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

I need help determining the equipment/expenses for a small datacenter/office space in NC. I can find the prices, but list some equipment that are neccessary and optional. I know I need server racks/a dedicated connection line as well. What else do I need?
    You make me smile again. So now you want to open a complete datacenter with your borrowed $100K family money?

Well i hope you really don't purchase anything before you went to this small business workshop.