Which way for backup?

Hello Guys,

May I know what way do you usually use for backup your data in your dedicated box?

Regards,

QI

In the same didecated box a 2nd hdd would be the best solution.
    Cheapest Multiple C Class IP Hosting

Thank You Cabron,

Let me ask some questions more:
    1. I also think it's good, how about if the main server down, what way we can take the data from the 2nd HDD?
    2. How do you think about RAID?

Thanks again!

1) If the server went poof you can just plug the hdd in another server, mount it and restore the accounts.
    2) I also use RAID 1. That way you'll have a mirror hdd. Also it will improve reading capabilities of the system. Hardware RAID is the best option, but costly to most.

Hello Cabron,

Thanks for your reply again.
    But I have heard of some cases where the raid went bad for whatever the reason and both drive's data was inaccessible. Have you ever heard about the same cases?

Thanks,

QI

That CAN happen, you would need a RAID10 which would require a minimum of 4 drives to make sure that even a hard-drive failure would not affect your system.
    A RAID shouldn't be a replacement, you should always keep backups, on another machine if possible, depending on what kind of data you need to backup.

Quote Originally Posted by ZaxiHosting View Post
    Hi QuickInstaller,
    The best way is:
    1) Local backups in a second drive
    2) remote backups,to another server in another datacenter.

With that,you are 100% Safe

Regards

Hello ZaxiHosting,

Thank You for your reply.

Yes, I also think about remote backups. Do you have any recommendation for the backup company?

Thanks,

QI

Still, what will you be using the server for cuz you really seem to be scared of drive failures?

Quote Originally Posted by cristibighea View Post
    That CAN happen, you would need a RAID10 which would require a minimum of 4 drives to make sure that even a hard-drive failure would not affect your system.
    A RAID shouldn't be a replacement, you should always keep backups, on another machine if possible, depending on what kind of data you need to backup.
    Hello Cristibighea,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I must think backup to another machine.

I have an idea :

With 2 machines BUT, Not for copying backup files, my idea is to have all sites or data, replicated in two servers in different place.

So I want to setup my domain with alternative or the same nameservers that will be located at another machine.

In case the machine 1 is down, it can automatically switch to another machine.
    Is this possible? By setting the same or alternative nameserver?

So when the main machine is up again, we can switch it back to the main machine.

Quote Originally Posted by cabron View Post
    Still, what will you be using the server for cuz you really seem to be scared of drive failures?
    Sorry I didn't explain it before. The data will be my clients sites.

Thanks,

QI

For remote backups check out webhostbackups.com - Its r1soft solutions and excellent service I must say.

QuickInstaller.

Please do not simply use the 2nd HDD for backup only. I agree that it is a good first place for backups but offsite backups are key if there is a problem with your provider or machine. If you are serious about doing this which you seem to be from your questions, use a third party like BQBackup.com where you can send your data optimally once per day.

RAID is NOT backup exactly. It is redundancy but will not protect you if your server is compromised as the data will be updated in all your drives if it is damaged.

The recommendation I would make is(note that there are some options depending on the performance requirements of your site):

Raid - 1 for your drives.

Then send backups nightly offsite.

You are then protected from drive failures and from malicious activities.
    André Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

Hello WiredMom and Coolraul,

Thank You very much for your suggestion. Yes, I have decided to use 3rd party remote backup. I will do some research about webhostbackups.com and BQBackup.com per your recommendations.

Thanks,

QI

Rsync to a second drive is the easiest and cheapest normally.
    » ReliableServers.com
    » Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Cloud » Servers | CDN
    » 1000 Gbps Network | New Jersey DataCenter
    » 973-849-0535