Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Site5 Support Forum [ISSUES]

Some stuff has been posted here recently about the decline in the quality of Site5's service. I want to report, as well, that if you post something to their support forums that is in any way negative, you are likely to get an answer from their forum moderators, "AMDbuilder" and/or "B&T", that is a knee-jerk, uninformed response in support of Site5, and their response will often abundantly illustrate that they have not even completely read or understood your post before replying. If you persist in your complaint, they will close (shut off) your thread. If you then try to start another thread about the same or a related topic, they will delete it so that it does not even appear in the support forum

Brendan Diaz, if you are listening, please see the following:

Site5 support tickets ZSX-400055, STP-711732, and WCP-554151.

Also, see the thread at forums.site5.com/showthread.php?t=20635, especially the last post by B&T, which is totally erroneous (I did not ask Site5 management NOT to get involved. In fact, I asked just the opposite.)

If anybody is considering Site5 to host their sites, I suggest you investigate this issue before signing up.

What are your complaints about? It's a little extreme to call them Nazi's.

I read through and I think it could have been handled better. Does Site5 staff not routinely watch the forum?
    Brett Meadors

Read the thread

Quote Originally Posted by J Tullock View Post
    Read the thread, especially the final post, in which I am cut off by B&T based on a totally erroneous claim: forums.site5.com/showthread.php?t=20635

Also, when I tried to start a new thread to protest being cut off, he deleted it entirely.

Site5's "forum managers" are biased, to say the least, and they are far too powerful. They stifle negative comments, close negative posts, and delete new threads that challenge them. I've called them Nazis because of their totalitarian nature, and their demonstrated refusal to allow an opinion contrary to their own.

I have now received an apology from Site5 Tech Support with regard to my support tickets. See forums.site5.com/showthread.php?t=20672

Note that the apology is for Tech Support's failure to recognize the problem that I repeatedly called to their attention. While this may speak well for Site5 Tech Support's ability to own up to their shortcomings, it should be noted that I have not received an apology from the forum moderators for their Nazi-like behaviour in arbitrarily closing off the thread in which I lodged my complaints and in deleting my thread protesting their doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by YMHBrett View Post
    Does Site5 staff not routinely watch the forum?
    They should.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouBill View Post
    I have now received an apology from Site5 Tech Support with regard to my support tickets. See forums.site5.com/showthread.php?t=20672
    Site5 forum moderator B&T, in his wisdom (and so it would not appear as a top-level thread but would instead be buried elsewhere) pruned the above post and added it to my original thread at forums.site5.com/showpost.php?p=118807&postcount=32

After I complained about that, he closed the thread again! Now do you know what I mean by "Nazi"?

It's their forum, they can run it however they want. If that means censoring negative posts and shutting threads down at will, then that's their right. Whether they "should" or "shouldn't" do things, doesn't really matter... at this point, it is what it is.

In light of that, if you don't like it, do something about it -- move to a host who handles things the way you want to be handled. Also known as, "vote with your pocketbook."

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by bithost(NET) View Post
    It's their forum, they can run it however they want. If that means censoring negative posts and shutting threads down at will, then that's their right.
    Oh, really? Please see this very recent post from Site5 CEO Brendan Diaz, in which he says, among other things, "Site5's apparent excessive moderation...is literally a thing of the past":
    webhostingtalk.com/showpost.php?p=4911007&postcount=23

In light of that, if you don't like it, do something about it -- move to a host who handles things the way you want to be handled. Also known as, "vote with your pocketbook."

Bailey
    Exactly. There is nothing more powerful than voting with your wallet. If your host is not giving you what you want, find a host who will. Simple.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by vito View Post
    Exactly. There is nothing more powerful than voting with your wallet. If your host is not giving you what you want, find a host who will. Simple.
    No, not simple at all, not when you have multiple sites, with thousands of users, many megabytes of data, multiple mailing lists with archives you cannot retrieve, etc. etc. etc. Site5, like any other provider, has an obligation to live up to its contract with its users. When they don't do that, they should own up to their problems and fix them, not shut off user complaints and tell them to take their business somewhere else.

Site 5 support is real bad. Good luck on anything being done anytime soon.

No, not simple at all, not when you have multiple sites, with thousands of users, many megabytes of data, multiple mailing lists with archives you cannot retrieve, etc. etc. etc. Site5, like any other provider, has an obligation to live up to its contract with its users. When they don't do that, they should own up to their problems and fix them, not shut off user complaints and tell them to take their business somewhere else.
    If you publicly label them as Nazis, do you really expect them to co-operate with you? Honestly, I can't understand your approach. If I were you, I would do everything possible to retrieve all my files and move elsewhere quietly. To publicly call someone a Nazi and then expect co-operation is flawed logic.

Anyways, good luck with it. I hope you can access your files and move on.

Vito
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

I can't understand your approach.
    Vito, as background, I have been a computer professional for almost four decades, which I daresay is longer than most of the people in this business have been alive. I think I know a thing or two about how to recognize a problem, how to document and report it accurately, and what to expect as a support response when that is done. I am also old enough to know very well what the term "Nazi" means, and what it implies.

I honestly tried all the legitimate channels for quite a while. When my problems went unsolved, I posted factual and unemotional messages to the Site5 support forum to try to get some action. The forum moderators immediately tried to minimize my complaints and to mollify me with meaningless and unhelpful responses, and, when I tried to complain about that, they cut me off. It was only after that that I labeled them what I did. I think they deserved it.

I've been a Site5 customer for about two years now, and I was happy with them until their recent management and system changes. I think they recognize that they have some problems and are trying to do something about it. But, apparently, not everyone on their team has gotten the message. Those people are the ones I've complained about.

I do appreciate your frustration. I really do. And it seems you did go through all the logical steps to rectify the problem. All I am saying is that it does not serve you well to make this public declaration before you are able to actually recover all your files. It can only work against your efforts. Get your files first, and then vent.

Vito

As a customer who's been burned similarly (by hosts that promised me things and did not live up to those promises) I can tell you that, as hosting customers, we must always be prepared. We must always have a Plan B, because nobody is looking out for our interests but ourselves. Nobody. Only we are obligated to look out for and protect ourselves. Nobody else is going to do the job for us.

That means we must always have an eye out for declining service, for indicators that things may be going to pot and we need to move soon. That means we must always have current backups, and always have a Plan B in the back of our minds, always know the answers to, 'if things go bad, what am I going to do?' 'Where am I going to go, and how am I going to handle the transfer so that it is as smooth as possible?'

These are questions that we must all ask ourselves and know the answers, at all times... in my case, I manage multiple whole servers that are chock-full of data (my own data and clients' data). Do I have a Plan B? You bet. I have a Plan C, too, because the only thing for sure in life is that "Stuff" Happens. (And Stuff is not my first-choice word, LOL)

As hosting customers, we simply cannot rest on our laurels thinking we are set with our current host. Bad things happen ALL THE TIME. Support tanks. Companies get sold. Life situations change for the business's principals. Policies change. Forums get overrun by totalitarians, company owners go back on their word. Sh*t happens everywhere, every day.

The fact is, in terms of Site5, your name is not on the mortgage. You do not sign the checks. You do not set policy. Period. Since you are "only" a customer and are not in a position to change company policy first-hand, the maximum impact you can make on the situation is to stop showing approval for it monetarily. You can't change their policies (because you don't run the business), but you can affect their cash flow... stop paying them money. Take your sites elsewhere -- somewhere where you will receive the respect and support that you need and obviously are not getting at Site5.

I agree with you completely in terms of ideals, please don't get me wrong. Thing is, I'm coming up on my 11th year running websites and being a web hosting customer myself -- I've been around the block a couple times. From that experience, I can tell you there is a major divide between idealism and practicality. Ideally, business owners should live up to their promises. However in the real world, they break their word and we customers are left holding the bag. We have to watch our backsides and take care of ourselves, because nobody else is going to. Either we have to be prepared, or we customers suffer the losses. That is the bottom line.

So, as far as the Forum Nazis go ... sorry, but it is their forum, and they do have the right to run it however they see fit. It's their playground, they make the rules. Like it or not, that is the bottom line.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

Get your files first, and then vent.
    I am absolutely certain that Site5 management are an honorable and trustworthy bunch, and that I need not worry about anybody within that organization purposely taking vengeful action against my site or my data, regardless of anything I've done or said.

So, as far as the Forum Nazis go...sorry, but it is their forum, and they do have the right to run it however they see fit. It's their playground, they make the rules.
    That's right, but as I pointed out earlier, Brendan Diaz (who, as Site5 CEO makes those rules) said here just a few days ago that the rules have changed, and that arbitrary moderation of their forums is now a thing of the past. So it seems that the moderator who cut me off wasn't playing by the rules, dig?

I agree with Vito, if you are unhappy with the way they run things, dont give them money anymore and find a new provider, that way you dont have to deal with them anymore =)
    | ServerHub | an INC 500 Company | Enterprise Dedicated and Cloud Solutions Built for Scale |
    | AS62904: Dallas TX, Chicago IL, New York NY, Seattle WA, Phoenix AZ, Los Angeles CA, Miami FL | AS49532: Frankfurt DE, Amsterdam NL | sales@serverhub.com |

Quote Originally Posted by J Tullock View Post
    Yes it is a bit extreme but I can understand where BayouBill is coming from. I left Site5 well over 2 years ago and they were already going nutso with over moderation on their forums. They were poised and ready to hit the delete button for any post other than one giving high praise for Matt and his cohorts. It was a disgusting experience!
    Everyone is entitled to MY opinion.
    CatfishEd.com

Bill, to be honest, I think you are being a little over-the-top about this.

I've read the threads you posted at the Site5 forums. I've read the responses. I don't see where the mods were being unhelpful nor do I see them "minimizing" your complaints. Yes, I see how you interpreted their comments that way, but what I read was people trying to earnestly offer viable answers to your questions, and the information they provided was helpful and was accurate.

You pretty much turned right around and called them derogatory names and acted like a know-it-all, telling the people who are in a position to help you, to butt out. Well okay then... figure it out on your own, Bill. Something about "just desserts" is ringing in my head here....

I'm sorry, but I totally understand how your threads ended up locked.

It is always easier to attract bees with honey.

You don't have to like the forum mods, Bill, but if you want to get the results you want, you're going to have to figure out how to get along with those people. That means when they post something, you can't always come at it with that pre-loaded chip on your shoulder, with the mindset that you're already taking offense at their mere presence. If you decide that you really don't want to deal with those people, then it's simple -- don't post to the board.

Bottom line, if you post inflammatory content (which is what you did, IMO) then you should expect inflammatory responses.

We're talking simple human nature here -- no heinous travesties, pretty much you overstepped the bounds of propriety, and that pissed a couple people off (which is understandable) -- and they hit the close button.

Just my 2¢ worth as very, very long-time hosting forum user.

Bailey

It's an insult to call them Nazi. To be frankly, I am not a fan of Site5 and I don't reccomend it to anyone. But in their place I would ask you to give proofs that they are Nazi. I.e. they are anti-semite, support dictatorship and so on. You would be in a very difficult position, I think.
    I could only advice to leave Site5: once you think support is bad and company's policy is bad, you will find better host (at least at the 2 I always reccomend).

just my 2 cents...

I agree, I don't think the word Nazi's should be used in this forum either.
    | ServerHub | an INC 500 Company | Enterprise Dedicated and Cloud Solutions Built for Scale |
    | AS62904: Dallas TX, Chicago IL, New York NY, Seattle WA, Phoenix AZ, Los Angeles CA, Miami FL | AS49532: Frankfurt DE, Amsterdam NL | sales@serverhub.com |

from Site5 CEO Brendan Diaz,
    Sorry off topic...

He is a CEO now?
    Roi

when they post something, you can't always come at it with that pre-loaded chip on your shoulder
    I know that the Site5 forum moderators are usually "just trying to be helpful," but if you read through a lot of the threads at the Site5 forums, you'll see that the moderators always immediately jump to Site5's defense whenever there's a problem. They often try to make the op look like they're the problem, not Site5. And to make matters worse, their response may offer information or advice that is uninformed and/or irrelevant.

I was warned in a pm from another Site5 forum member that if I complained about the moderators in the Site5 forum I might be cut off, and that's exactly what happened. I have already explained why I used the term I did to describe them, but what I've just described is a large part of it. They are a totalitarian bunch who lock people up when they say something negative about them. Would "fascist" be a more acceptable way to describe this behaviour?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast