Looking for a dedicated server...

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. I am hoping someone here can help me find a decently priced server (or possibly DDS) with the following requirements:

1. Unmanaged Red Hat + WHM (Web Host Manager) / Cpanel
    2. Datacenter in N. America or Europe
    3. Fairly low bandwidth requirement
    4. (*** IMPORTANT ***) 80-90 IP adresses allocated to the server, from at least 10 different C-blocks, with the ability to add more if needed (*** IMPORTANT ***)
    5. Month-to-month contract
    6. Remote re-boot (or REALLY quick support)

I would also need a technician to transfer everything from my current hosting provider, including all data, settings, etc...

Please let me know if you need any further details.

El Rico
    Last edited by elrico; 02-03-2008 at 11:38 PM.

I am not sure with the number 4. Most data centers will need to ask for arin justification before they can provide you with such ips.

Net
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Thanks Net... I've heard about that since ipv4 has been getting scarce, but my current provider has never really questioned me about it, they just did it - not sure exactly how. Any ideas?

Yes, as Net said, #4 will be the hardest requirement for many providers to meet.

Hosting providers in North America must obey the rules of ARIN for IP address practices. ARIN is not very specific on what does or does not meet justification, most of their rules deal with planning and proper reassignment information.

This is the relevant bit I could find that addresses IP justification for web hosting:

4.2.5. Web Hosting Policy

When an ISP submits a request for IP address space to be used for IP-based web hosting, it will supply (for informational purposes only) its technical justification for this practice. ARIN will analyze this data continuously, evaluating the need for future policy change.
    source

So as long as you can provide some technical reason for your request then there is no reason it should be denied.

However, most providers will probably not have free addreses to give you from at least 10 different /24 nets.
    Tranquil Hosting

Why do you need so many ips?

I've been running a network of search engine optimized sites for a number of years, and this is the setup I have always had success with. I realize there is an ongoing debate about whether dedicated IPs really matter to search engines or not, but the academic stuff really isn't what interests me. This is what has worked for me, and I would rather not change it. The only reason I want to change hosting providers is because their customer support has gone down the toilet (it takes them 2 days to reboot a server).

If I have to pay a bit more to have the setup I really want, then so be it (that's what I've been doing until now). I will let my provider deal with the ARIN issues if they can. If they can't, then I'll just have to keep looking until I find one that will.

Thanks for your help guys. Any further suggestions/options are very welcome. Peace.

Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)

Truly, I would think that if someone had 100 domains hosted on a one IP address and linking back to one domain, it would carry less weight regarding pagerank. If websites hosted throughout the internet with different IP addresses all link to one site, I'd make a special weight to that factor if I created and algorithm to monitor relevancy. It obviously wouldn't be the only factor, but NO factor? I would have to call shananagins on that assumption.

That being said, I do think that the SEO model for doing this is essentially cheating, but I don't think there is so much of it on the web that it makes the results skewed too much. I just think it isn't too effective. Good luck with it though.
    - Donovan K
    Want to monitor and manage your customers Windows systems by Client software, web portal, or mobile phone?
    Automated scripts, patching, and remote access too? Ask me how!

Wow you actually found a way to incorporate shananagins into a sentence, kudos

LOL

it's alwayse useable in the "calling" sense

Quote Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
    it's alwayse useable in the "calling" sense
    Point taken

Some good reads on those links, thanks!
    ReliableServers.com
    Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Cloud Servers | CDN
    1000 Gbps Network | New Jersey DataCenter
    973-849-0535

Thanks for the links Douglas, and don't worry about your "directness"... However, I have already read pretty much everything that's out there on the issue and none of it is very convincing in showing that shared IPs are not harmful - in fact some of the authors/posters admit straight up that it CAN be harmful.

So as I said before, instead of engaging in that debate, I would rather be safe than sorry and try to get the setup I really want. It simply is not worth the risk for me to lose my rankings because of a technical issue. Thanks.

if it aint broke dont fix it so if 90 ip's is working for you then i wouldnt risk changing it.
    i think it was the owner of coca cola who said "half the money i use in advertising is wasted, i just dont know which half it is".

90 ip addresses is quite alot and will b a major factor in what your final price would be is it too cheeky to ask how much are you currently paying for this type of thing
    BX

Quote Originally Posted by elrico View Post
    Thanks Net... I've heard about that since ipv4 has been getting scarce, but my current provider has never really questioned me about it, they just did it - not sure exactly how. Any ideas?
    Did they ask you to justify it? I'd pay particular attention to: IETF RFC 2050 regarding the proper and efficient use of IP Address space.

I'd kinda have a problem with item number 4 as well, unless it can be justified. Also, I think you might find other's more willing to work with you if you were more willing to settle on a contract.

From my experience, many hosts will shy away from people with large IP requests, that will not commit to a longer term.

I really find it hard to believe your host has not asked you to justify your allocations, are you sure about that?
    Jeremy Anthony Kinsey ([email protected]) - 262-248-6759
    Budget Dedicated Servers/Colocation HostDrive.Com
    cPanel Hosting/Dedicated Servers HostingLizard.Com
    19 Years in the Hosting Business!

Thanks for the links Douglas, and don't worry about your "directness"... However, I have already read pretty much everything that's out there on the issue and none of it is very convincing in showing that shared IPs are not harmful - in fact some of the authors/posters admit straight up that it CAN be harmful.

So as I said before, instead of engaging in that debate, I would rather be safe than sorry and try to get the setup I really want. It simply is not worth the risk for me to lose my rankings because of a technical issue. Thanks.
    I actually purpously (sp?) listed articles that would go on both sides of the fence. For me, personally, I don't buy into the IP hype (I controlled four large websites and a myriad of smaller ones that all used the same IP and all of the sites are indexed very heavily without being penalized.) for SEO purposes. I did, however, want to be fair so that people could see both sides of the issue.

I know, for a fact, that if a site is properly coded, it will be very easily indexable by several search engines. Several of my latest designs resulted in more search engines than I cared for hitting the sites/servers, so I ended up having to block a few of them for 2-3 weeks and to limit the number of bots crawling the site, just to keep the resources available for the users.

Just wanted you to be informed... and yes... as I said, I'm not one to buy into the SEO for dedicated IP hype.
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)

@Box:
    I am currently paying $1 per IP per month on top of the regular dedicated server fee.

@Rasputin: Surprisingly, no, they have not asked me to justify it. When I first requested it they complained a bit about how it would be difficult/impossible/improbable, but after a little pressure they just just gave in. Mind you, this was in 2003. Things may have changed since then.

Yes I did get into a contract with them at the time and it is not something I am entirely against right now - I would just prefer to see if everything is running smoothly before jumping in. If I see that things are going well, then I would have no problem getting into a contract.

If i was you id call godaddy dot com and ask them some questions im sure they can help you and answer any of your ip questions i do know that for like 80 bucks you can host as many sites and domains you want if you want to buy your own server and host them yourself then call this guy (937)270-9254 his name is roger he will sell you a server dirt cheap im about to get one myself. if you are looking for a huge server at a good price you can call advent computers (937)545-0842 better bring a truck lol. very very affordable also thats the cool thing about servers is they go from a $100,000.00 to fifty bucks in just a couple of years lol. places like hospitals have to update there equipment every couple of years and we can reap the benefits of obsolete technology.

19. surley you could move the ips from your existing server to a new one?

Quote Originally Posted by serverdragon View Post
    surley you could move the ips from your existing server to a new one?
    I was not aware this was an option... I thought I would have to get a whole new set of IPs... Could you please let me know how I could go about doing that and I will be forever in your debt.

I was not aware this was an option... I thought I would have to get a whole new set of IPs... Could you please let me know how I could go about doing that and I will be forever in your debt.
    IP space is not portable.. Unless it is your direct allocation.. It does not work like phone numbers, eg, you cannot port them or take them from place to place...
    Jeremy Anthony Kinsey ([email protected]) - 262-248-6759
    Budget Dedicated Servers/Colocation HostDrive.Com
    cPanel Hosting/Dedicated Servers HostingLizard.Com
    19 Years in the Hosting Business!

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    IP space is not portable.. Unless it is your direct allocation.. It does not work like phone numbers, eg, you cannot port them or take them from place to place...
    That's what I thought... but serverdragon made it seem like it was possible.

Check out the Planet