Has Firefox gone sour?

I posted a few months ago complaining that Firefox has started to crash randomly in Vista.

Unfortunately, it still crashes randomly, albeit a little less often.

Yes you could say it's a Vista thing but if I remember correctly quite a while ago Firefox was not a memory hog and rarely crashed.....You think Firefox has gone bad?

I run Vista with Firefox just fine. If anything I find that Vista is the problem and not Firefox. heh...

Depending on the setup Vista works great if used as intended At least on this end and with people I've spoken to. Firefox have had issues since it's 2.x series on all OSes it's been released on. So I would say Firefox is the problem, not Vista.
    1. Mmmmm food...

My firefox likes to crash for various reasons. The big one for me lately has been some of the functions in WHM cause it to crash so I have a feeling most my crashes are coming from javascript. Of course IE and Opera don't crash on the same pages
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    PHP 5.3.x & PHP 5.4.x & PHP 5.5.X & PHP 5.6.X & PHP 7.0.X Support!

My firefox seems to always ask if I would like to restore the previous session or start a new session everytime I start firefox (its question you get when firefox crashes and you restarted it). And this will happen even after properly shutting down firefox.
    Roi

I have a bunch of hacks on my firefox, i send 100 reqquests at a time for pipelining. lol i'm bad.
    You can seach the net for the changes that can be made to reduce using too much RAM
    just edit everything in about:config in the address bar
    The server research guy

Firefox has been losing it ever since Mitchell Baker came in charge.

A lawyer who doesn't understand programming shouldn't be CEO of Mozilla, no matter how good she is with the business matters. She's not getting that they're turning Firefox into a big fat JavaScript program, making it full of bloat, fail, and AIDS.

Firefox rarely crashes in my Vista, the older version used to constantly chew up all the ram and crash when I was running XP. But I do find myself using IE and Opera more often than firefox.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Never crashes, but uses a ton of RAM. Peaks at about 250mb after a few hours of use (doesn't matter how many tabs are open.. just goes up and up), at which point I restart it.

Same here about RAM usage. I'm using XP though. Firefox becomes very slow after a while and begings to lag. Some URLs don't open in first try. I have to refresh often. I don't remember it being so always. Must be after some updates or newly installed addons.

Edit:
    I've found this topic about this issue which may help those having the same problem as I do.
    Last edited by WebDesignGold; 02-04-2008 at 12:00 AM.
    My woman left me..
    I've got no website..
    I've got no money..

Quote Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
    but uses a ton of RAM. Peaks at about 250mb after a few hours of use (doesn't matter how many tabs are open.. just goes up and up), at which point I restart it.
    Same here.

Also wanted to point out I have NO add-ons whatsoever. Just the core firefox browser.

...I have no problems with firefox at all. It's ram usage right now is about 50mb, which I consider perfectly okay, and it's fast as a bullet

Firefox does by default scale its ram usage based on your total system memory, so the more total memory that you have, the more Firefox uses.

Blame Adobe's crappy plugin for memory leaks.

People using Gnash and Firefox on PPC and x86-x64 (no flash for them) don't have this problem.

I go to flash heavy sites and ram is gobbled down then taking firefox with it some hours later. i hate flash.

I use Firefox 3 Beta and find it almost-rocksolid. it never crashes but occasionally goes briefly unresponsive. If they can get it 100% before full release it'll be great
    Ash Slaughter, former Systems Operator for Scratch Telecom
    Oracle Ninja, Linux Admin, Java/JSP Developer, Casual C#/ADO.NET/ASP.NET Monkey, Python Programmer, CCNA.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorophose View Post
    Firefox has been losing it ever since Mitchell Baker came in charge.

A lawyer who doesn't understand programming shouldn't be CEO of Mozilla, no matter how good she is with the business matters. She's not getting that they're turning Firefox into a big fat JavaScript program, making it full of bloat, fail, and AIDS.
    What does AIDS stand for? Something different than the obvious disease?
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Well, immune deficiency would easily describe other browsers.

That said, I don't really see how firefox has gotten much more bloated. It still leaks memory but thats not news.
    Oracle Ninja, Linux Admin, Java/JSP Developer, Casual C#/ADO.NET/ASP.NET Monkey, Python Programmer, CCNA.

Quote Originally Posted by misticil View Post
    I use Firefox 3 Beta and find it almost-rocksolid. it never crashes but occasionally goes briefly unresponsive. If they can get it 100% before full release it'll be great
    Just downloaded firefox 3 - it's so fast!!!

I can't tell reliability yet but in terms of speed, firefox 3 has a dramatic speed increase.

My best guess in response to the OP's question is just that it's a typical memory leak (as seen in most every web browsers). I'm amazed they still haven't gotten that fixed... though if you're not opening a ton of windows/tabs and you're still experiencing the problem it may be a more serious (trojan related) issue.
    Blesta - Professional Billing Software
    We are about creating good experiences
    Trial - Demo | 866.478.7567 | Twitter @blesta

I'm a Firefox Add-on Developer, FireFox 3 is about to come out. It makes opera look like blarg.

Beta: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html

Blake Ross Ftw.
    Brad T. Burns - CEO - brad.burns(@)zioinc.com
    Zio, Inc. - Shared. Reseller. VPS. Dedicated. Gaming. Cloud.
    AIM: ZioEspeed Skype: ZioBrad Steam: ZioBrad
    Website

I'm beginning to think that the issue - at least in my case - is related to video sites like Youtube. Everytime Firefox slows down I have a tab open for a video related site. A flash issue as others suggested maybe.
    My woman left me..
    I've got no website..
    I've got no money..

Youtube's video codec isn't that great man it messes up on all browsers.
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by ZioEspeed View Post
    I'm a Firefox Add-on Developer, FireFox 3 is about to come out. It makes opera look like blarg.

Beta: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html

Blake Ross Ftw.
    The only bad thing about Opera is the fact that it's done in QT and seems to choke on its own menus and javascript.

However, the firefox team is doing a crappy job. Plugins are great, yes, but when a competitor manages to combine eMail, IRC, their own simple "plugins", user javascript, user CSS files, multiple rendering "modes" (like with or without CSS/JS/images/etc.), and manages to do it in less space than your regular download, well, doesn't look very good.

I'm a fan of Opera's mythical Acid2 passing status.

I run FF on vista and it's never crashed once. Although if I could just figure out how to get the damn themes to work.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Quote Originally Posted by WebDesignGold View Post
    Same here about RAM usage. I'm using XP though. Firefox becomes very slow after a while and begings to lag. Some URLs don't open in first try. I have to refresh often. I don't remember it being so always. Must be after some updates or newly installed addons.

Edit:
    I've found this topic about this issue which may help those having the same problem as I do.
    Yea the same problem down here. Well lets hope the version 3 sounds to fix these problems.

I have been forced to use ie lately to access certain sites..firefox just isn't handling some stuff anymore
    Caro.Net: Support is everything
    Offering High Quality Dedicated Servers.

29. being a user of ff for a few years now and a die hard fan and solid user, i hate ff3 i had to un-install it within a few hours, it was taking up all my ram memory slowing the computer down, coming unresponsive for no reson crashing for no reason, when i tried to login to hotmail you should be automatically forwarded to your inbox but got stuck on the loading screen and i couldn't upload images to my ebay sales.

i would hate ff to release this in this state and before the are 1000% confident with it or i could see them loosing there reputation and get a name like M$ for releasing untested crap software
    Last edited by orangewebhosting0net; 02-06-2008 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by serverdragon View Post
    being a user of ff for a few years now and a die hard fan and solid user, i hate ff3 i had to un-install it within a few hours, it was taking up all my ram memory slowing the computer down, coming unresponsive for no reson crashing for no reason, when i tried to login to hotmail you should be automatically forwarded to your inbox but got stuck on the loading screen and i couldn't upload images to my ebay sales.
    That's why it's called a beta and the hotmail issue in in fact a known reported issue located on the beta's website.

It seems a lot faster to me so I'm hoping it'll bring an end to the current issues when it becomes stable.

right now i have IE7, FF2 and Opera 9.5 open for my workflow

i use IE7 for almost everything as the fonts just look nicer and IE7 pro plugin provides great features not to mention it doesnt use near as much RAM and cpu as firefox

I use Firefox to test sites i develop on as firebug extension is a godsend!

then I have opera open on ajax heavy server live monitor dashboards i have as opera is rock soild and runs for months where firefox would just gobble up more ram

i used to primary use firefox but to be honest once i tried using IE7 i switched back it just felt "faster" and less "bloated" and on my HD screen IE is just easier on the eyes

i realize alot of people dont use IE just cause its a Microsoft product which i think is silly

IE is still more bloated, it just has a pretty UI. funny how less visuals causes the perception of less bloat.

Quote Originally Posted by misticil View Post
    IE is still more bloated, it just has a pretty UI. funny how less visuals causes the perception of less bloat.
    my task manager on windows disagrees...

4 tabs open in IE7 and FF, 50MB vs 200MB ram, go figure

my proc list on linux disagrees, but i'd blame VMWare for that.

same tabs in both? And FF3beta or FF2? [memory leaks have been mostly-fixed in 3]

I run Firefox heavily on XP, Vista, and Linux, however on my Macs I find Firefox to be sluggish. Funny thing is, on Windows, Safari is the sluggish one.

I'll switch to Firefox 3 when it officially comes out.
    btw, here's the new features link: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox...otes/#whatsnew
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I run Firefox heavily on XP, Vista, and Linux, however on my Macs I find Firefox to be sluggish. Funny thing is, on Windows, Safari is the sluggish one.
    FF2 has to be the worst thing ive ever used on a mac. I find the FF3 beta to be MUCH faster and maybe even a bit more stable. Good thing they plugged those 300 memory leaks

Quote Originally Posted by mihd View Post
    my task manager on windows disagrees...

4 tabs open in IE7 and FF, 50MB vs 200MB ram, go figure
    Oh please.

1. IE7 is still integrated with windows
    2. Running Adobe's plugin?
    3. When Firefox and other programs request RAM for whatever reason, its VM can never shrink. So firefox must have spiked for a flash site at one point, or a JS-clunky one, and now is probably using ~30MB even though it's reported as being 200MB, its current VM size.

Sadly there's a brand new JS-based vulnerability for Firefox 2.12, even though it's not a serious issue, as it's still pretty gimped and neutralised by NoScript.