[Billing Problem] with GetMeHosted

I thought I would post this here re. a very bad experience I am having with GetMeHosted.

Having moved to another host in 2006, I cancelled with GetMeHosted 3 months before my renewal was due. I had previously paid with credit card for my first year and 2 subsequent years by Paypal, both renewed by them sending me an invoice first.

On the renewal date, as expected, no invoice so nothing to worry about there.

12 months later, a year in arrears they charge my card $350 saying they can't find my cancellation. They know full well I haven't hosted with them for well over a year, I can prove I was hosting elsewhere, and they also know they NEVER let anyone host with them withour paying. Have you ever known a hosting company let you use their services for a year without paying?

I put a hold on my credit card payment and Barclaycard wrote to their bank. They replied that I had asked for deferred payment for a year as I couldn't afford to pay. I am utterly shocked that any supposedly reputable company can tell such a barefaced lie.

To add insult to injury, 2 months after I informed Barclaycard of this, they charged a further $350. To be fair they have said they will refund the second $350. I have asked them to look again at the first charge as I fear they must be muddling me up with some-one else but have heard nothing.

I am posting this here to warn people about what can happen. I know people will always have problems with hosting companies and it's hard to know what to believe but all I would say is that I am 55 years old and have NEVER in my entire like asked anyone to defer payment for a year.

Like I said, any of you hosting companies reading this give deferred terms for a year if your customers are a bit hard up?

Nice try GetMeHosted. I would like to think it is all a mistake and you will refund this before Barclaycard force the issue but after 3 months I think it's going to run it's course.

Hi Gayclarke,

that is indeed strange, did you get a confirmation that they did cancel your account ? if a company did not send you a confirmation after you requested a cancellation always ask for it. That way you are less likely to get into these kind of administrative issues.

Hope this will be solved for you.
    Ľ cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    Ľ
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

With hindsite I should have asked for written confirmation but at the time they had stopped responding to any emails and only dealt with things through their support panel which I no longer had access to after I cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by gayclarke View Post
    With hindsite I should have asked for written confirmation but at the time they had stopped responding to any emails and only dealt with things through their support panel which I no longer had access to after I cancelled.
    I believe you did what you could, just made that remark for others to learn; in your case its to late, but hope they will fix it nevertheless.

This is rediculous... charging in such a lump sum and AFTER the whole year had past is... very strange.

Goodluck though!

Did you contact them about the issue before posting here?
    If you donít like the road youíre walking on, start paving a new one.

It's been 3 months with no resolution?
    - WireSix - Dedicated Servers, Custom Configurations, Colocation - Celebrating 5 years!

Well I can't say I contacted them specifically about posting here. That would have been seemed like a threat of kinds, but yes I feel I have done my best to resolve it with them.

It is 3 months because this is the sort of time it takes once you are obliged to claim it back under your credit card insurance. Especially with me being in the UK. I contact Barclaycard, they ask me questions, I write back, they write to the US bank who writes to GetMeHosted, then all the way back, I respond and we start again.

I last wrote asking them to provide what they think of as proof that I asked for derferred payment. That was 4 weeks ago and I have heard nothing. I have also asked that question of GetMeHosted with no reply.

So you, the bank and GetMeHosted are working things out between you?
    If you donít like the road youíre walking on, start paving a new one.