Thread: 1and1

1and1

It has been a couple of years since I left the web hosting/design world. I am just getting back into design. Looks like I have been out to long to get back into hosting. I don't know if times have changed or what, but 1and1 seems awesome for a windows host. I have had a few of my new domains there for about 2 months and have not had any problems yet. Few things I like

- downloadable app that lets me go right into my control panel.
    - Havn't had any downtime
    - I upload alot, transfer speeds are pretty good

I thought I would just give them a plug since I want to get into the advertising forums. Gees, all I want to do is offer some free stuff to build a portfolio again. Why do they make it so had to post in there?

O, well. I am technically a newbie again so does anyone have any horror stories on these guys?

Everybody complains about 1and1 but I think they're great!

I hate 1and1. Charged 300 for nothing. Never again.

From the varied and numerous commets here, I'd guess there's a world of difference between the U.S. and U.K. 1and1. I only have experience with the U.S. hosting and have had no problems. Most of the negative reports seem to come from the U.K.

I used them in the past and had few problems like duplicate charge, they are kind slow in sales and support

I guess I do have one complaint but it was just a silly tech support person. When I first signed up my default page wouldn't come up. She told me I had a capital I in index. Then an awkward silence from me for about 30 seconds. They were able to fix it in moments after I said that I didn't think that was it.

Yes, I didn't like one and one. Partially because they don't allow you to create SPF records (this was a while ago, they might have this option available now - but as far as I know it's still not possible)!

They're not the worst web hosting company out there, but at the same time, they're not the best.

I had them once before but they took forever to get my server up even after the verification process. And once it was up i had problems sence then.. One time it went out because of the RAM in it "From what they say" then it was an issue with the harddrive.. It was just one thing after another.. And i spent a REAL good penny for it and they wouldnt give me a refund.

Quote Originally Posted by gregdavidson View Post
    you are probably lucky one, from personal experience tried to transfer the domain names - it was nightmare.
    Low Cost Storage VPS plans at webprovps.com
    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN HVM VPS
    == Contact us for any online solution development or managed / unmanaged vps hosting ==

Quote Originally Posted by alex-developer View Post
    you are probably lucky one, from personal experience tried to transfer the domain names - it was nightmare.
    Thats heard a lot.

Anyway my 2 cents worth all re UK/Euro 1&1
    Only commenting on 'there admin/support/customer service,
    quite simply they have very (German Style) rigid methodologies for every situation, no flexability (British Style).
    It's easy to get frustrated with them, but if you play 'strictly by there rules' there OK.
    But I'm not famouse for sticking to the rules, so they don't suit me, although I do maintain 1 small account open with them.

And yes, whoever said US - OK, UK - problems, seems to have it right from what I've heard.

Love em. Dirt cheap, quick servers, no downtime, great control panel, awesome features. I once had around 400 domains with them too... I've transfered many in and out with no issues at all.

I have not read any positive reviews about them recently. sounds good, i think they have started to get back on track.

As long as you never have to use their tech support, either because you need help with something or something breaks on the server, 1&1 is great. They're cheap, host up to 100 domains or something, and their network uptime is pretty good.
    -Mark Adams
    www.bitserve.com - Secure Michigan web hosting for your business.
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.
    Offering advanced server management and security incident response!

I used to use 1and1 and i had few problems however i use my own host now.
    XeoDomains.com - XeoDomains.co.uk - XeoDomains.mobi

What ever country... still a great deal on your domains.

I had a problem with a domain once, paid for it but never got it

I guess some peoples feelings are better about 1and1 but depending on how you see it and if you have extra money to loose and "Sometimes" they do right and give you perfect support and sometimes you are just wasting your money.. They are not a "horrible" company.. They just need to get their support and everything in the management straightend up and it would be perfect!
    Http://www.PlexxMedia.Net The Future is Near!
    Complete Management!
    Best Prices!
    Web Design, Hosting & Shoutcast

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutCastServers View Post
    if you have extra money to lose
    One of the main reasons I love them is because I do not have any 'extra" money to lose, and am able to get super hosting (though not super support, but that's not really needed much at all) for next to nothing.

They just need to get their support and everything in the management straightend up and it would be perfect!
    But then it would cost more. There are already hosts who are "straightened up" yet cost more. 1&1 is a beautiful thing because it's so good for so little.

Seems the negatives here brought their problems on themselves, but won't take the blame. And remember, not a little bit of the bad reviews about them is from their competitors, i believe that