Exclamation Setting up a UK Data Center

Hey,

During my minutes of boredom the other day, I spoke to a person from Open Pipe solutions LTD regarding a Data Center network. I wasn't interested I just wanted to know really. I was quoted the following:

20 Static IPs (Upgradeable)
    15TB Premium Bandwidth
    Up to 100mbps Speeds
    Custom network name
    32,000 setup fee ($64,000)
    2,000 per month ($4,000)

Then you have buildings, servers, rack products & other necessities on top. Very expensive!

wow @ the setupfee
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

It'd probably be a lot cheaper to do the same thing in the United States. And who knows, you might get a decent ping over there. The only issue would be re-location but you might save enough to do that, too.

Setup fee is that high as you'll find they prob. have to dig up the road somewhere along the road to set down fibre.

-Chris

yeah and cooling/power+backup+distribution/fire suppression/etc etc... diverse fibers into your building very expensive business.

A smallsized datacenter in the uk would cost you close to $1,000,000!
    you need hardware, bandwidth, employees, security, facility space etc.

if anyone's interested in DC stuff, conference on 26th-27th Feb in London http://www.datacentreworld.com/index...d=10&Itemid=80

get a rack in redbus or a carrier neutral hotel.

Depending on how resilient you need your datacentre to be, if you're based in central London you can probably get fibre and a 100mbit connection into your office relatively cheaply.

If you need to lay new fibre, then digging up roads etc is all very expensive. Generally, when companies are looking to place datacentres though they look at the available power first - especially if they intend the facility to be big. Anywhere where there used to be sizeable industry there are usually suitable power substations in the vacinity that can handle the load of the power for the servers and for the cooling.

Associated infrastructure costs like large size generators, fitting out the building with raised flooring etc also add considerably.

Quote Originally Posted by GH-Jason View Post
    Hey,

During my minutes of boredom the other day, I spoke to a person from Open Pipe solutions LTD regarding a Data Center network. I wasn't interested I just wanted to know really. I was quoted the following:
    This company? http://openpipe.co.uk/

They don't look particularly large. Exactly what were you getting a quote on?
    Darren Lingham - UK Webhosting Ltd. - (0800) 024 2931
    Tsohost.co.uk - Quality UK Windows and Linux hosting since 2003
    UK WordPress Hosting - Fast, easy, cloud based WordPress Hosting

Sounds like it was a leased line quote.
    Karl Austin :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764
    Call us today and ask about our hosting solutions.