cluster mysql servers for vbulletin

have anyone setup a cluster mysql servers to run vbulletin yet? I google around and found that it's best to setup a master for writing and many slaves for reading. Other than that i haven't figure out how tọ. If anyone have done this before please share.

thx

Why don't you just buy a cheap shared hosting account to get started. Forums are the hardest websites in the world to build up and don't require a dedicated servers until they are busy.

If you're looking for a managed solution, checkout Rack911:
    http://www.rack911.com/managedclusters.html

If you're looking for unmanaged, check WebNX - they have some pretty high end hardware for setting up database clusters and such. I'm not sure to what extent they are willing to setup your cluster though.

Quote Originally Posted by wackolacko View Post
    have anyone setup a cluster mysql servers to run vbulletin yet? I google around and found that it's best to setup a master for writing and many slaves for reading. Other than that i haven't figure out how tọ. If anyone have done this before please share.
    Your best bet would be to check the vBulletin forums regarding that.

Quote Originally Posted by gregdavidson View Post
    Why don't you just buy a cheap shared hosting account to get started. Forums are the hardest websites in the world to build up and don't require a dedicated servers until they are busy.
    I've got a site that disproves what you just said.
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)

First of all, your vBulletin must be pretty spectacularly large in order to require 2 database servers + 1 webserver? And splitting your Apache and mySQL servers will certainly provide huge dividends in performance. Have you also tried your hand at the speed enhancements like the caching?

Assuming you've tried all that,

Setting up a mySQL cluster for vBulletin is quite easy. With vBulletin 3.5+ you can setup a master and slave server in the config file.

The method you suggested using a read and write database is done through database replication.
    :: iMountain.com Solar Powered Hosting - Same location for 20 years
    :: Clustered, HSphere, Webhosting, VPS, Dedicated and Luxury clusters
    :: Specializing in Database clustering and optimization for vBulletin, Joomla and Wordpress sites.

Try http://auroinfotech.com/ They are good.

I haven't done it for vbulletin but I am quite sure mysql replication will work better than mysql cluster in this picture. What you need a really beefy master server something like 32 gig ram, quad core with sas drives raid 10, a load balancer. Basically, your master server will take care of the writing part and replicate the data to all slaves for reading purpose. Also, check out memcached.
    P4HOST.COM -- Specialize in quality Web Hosting solutions.
    Affordable -- Prices are very comparative
    Reliable -- Very low load average guaranteed. 60 day money back. Fast Support --Support Forum -- Providing hosting since 2003

Quote Originally Posted by gregdavidson View Post
    Sorry You Wrong, Because When It Become Busy The User Don't Want TO See Connection Limit Or Busy Pages With Slow Network, finally The Users Will Left With Out Any Excuse ..

our forums is quite large and a single can't seem to handle the load any more, splitting the db and web on seperate server seem to be a good idea but our forums will our growth in couple month so i just want a solid setup that we don't have to do any upgrade for at lease 9 months

thx
    Shawn Hogan who owns DP (digital point forums) has. He has a pretty impressive setup to handle what is probably one of the busiest forums on the internet. You might try searching through the threads there or his blog, I seem to recall him explaining what he was doing.
    Jeremy Anthony Kinsey ([email protected]) - 262-248-6759
    Budget Dedicated Servers/Colocation HostDrive.Com
    cPanel Hosting/Dedicated Servers HostingLizard.Com
    19 Years in the Hosting Business!

I google around and found that it's best to setup a master for writing and many slaves for reading.
    There are two things you can do with MySQL. MySQL clusters involve multiple nodes, all of which can do reads and writes. These seem pretty rare. The more common option is replication, where you have one master which handles all writes, and one or more slaves, which do reads but not writes.

I don't have any experience with vBulletin, but I just wanted to clarify that clusters and replication were two separate terms with MySQL.

our forums is quite large and a single can't seem to handle the load any more
    I assume you've found and implemented various tuning tips? Again, I'm not a vB guy, so I can't walk you through it, but I've read of some people seeing decent gains in performance by tweaking settings in vB itself.

Why don't you just buy a cheap shared hosting account to get started.
    I think you misread the question? His site is so busy that he's looking at provisioning another server. Switching to "cheap shared hosting" is the worst possible idea in this case.

Some one have 5GB+ database with 220.328 queries per second run at single server without any trouble, may be your should try single powerful server other than Cluster.

I was able to talked to an admin of a very busy forums (10,000+ visitors) with only 30 mins cookies setting and follow is his setup:

2x Dual core 2.4hz opteron (web server, sphinx, mysql slave reads)
    2x Dual core 2.4ghz opteron (mysql server writes)

Has anyone done such setup? slave for read, master for write for vb.

I set something similar to that up for a client one time. It seemed to work well. Steven with Rack911 is the best though. I'd suggest contacting him.
    Brett Meadors

I manage servers that are running forum with 290000+ registered members and over 1000+ online members at once.
    We had a one single server (quad Xeon) running Lighttpd + MySQL but it became very slow as the forum grew big due to I/O wait.
    Therefore I strongly don't recommend putting both Web server and database server on to the same server.

Then we splitted Lighttpd and MySQL in to 3 servers with 2 running Lighttpd and 1 running MySQL.
    CPU is Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz
    With Lighttpd servers having 2GB RAM and MySQL server having 4GB RAM.
    MySQL server's queries per second avg: 75.786.
    It seems as it's getting slower everyday too.
    (All servers are optimized ofcourse...)

When I was thinking about how I should cluster MySQL, this thread came up.
    Although replication setup can easily be accomplished if running vB, we have IPB so how should I accomplish replication or clustering?
    Using MySQL Proxy? Memcached?

Also, to op, what is queries/second avg and current server load?
    Yudai Yamagishi

Why don't you try mySQL Cluster technology. It seem your bottleneck is mainly the database. Setup > 3 mySQL server and do DNS round robin between those server to balance the load. Or you can use a sqlrelay to distribute the database load. If you are interested, I can help you to help such configuration.

BTW it is better if you just clustering technology, because forum tend to have a lot of write to database. If you use replication, then you are putting more load on the master node. Memcached wouldn't help alot work, because of the changing nature in forum application.
    Last edited by jamesmoey; 02-27-2008 at 02:44 AM.

Hi,

I know (and sorry) to bring back a very OLD thread.

Just wondering if anyone have any more inputs? Thanks!
    SysAdmin.xyz
    Having severs with customer data on it without proper monitoring is like having one night stand without using protections - eventually, there will be an 'oh s**t!' moment.

I have personally setup many multi master/slave MySQL setups, if you are able to split the reads/writes in code then having a master that has enough I/O capacity to handle writes is the problematic area.

The easiest way is SSDs or similar in a raid configuration, otherwise 15k drives or a mixed caching solution of both (not going into those details).

The slaves performing read_only operations are fairly simple to scale.