Another Vista issue?

I recently bought a new laptop with Vista installed!

I have today tried to use a usb memory stick on the Vista machine to run a Powerpoint presentation that was designed and saved on an XP machine (same manufacturer - Acer) but the Vista machine will not accept anything from the usb memory stick (tried it with 2 different sticks, different manufacturers).

Now I know that you need a special usb cable to transfer files directly from an older to a Vista machine but do we have a situation here where existing material on usb sticks will not work on any Vista machines?

I'm concerned because I do a lot of presentations at different sites and some of these are surely going to have Vista at some stage - I don't want to turn up with a useless usb memory stick!

Anyone got a way around this?

Can you give us a bit more detailed about what error(s) you get and how the problem manifests itself? Can you access the USB stick? Can you transfer files to and from it? I'm inclined to believe the problem lies not in Vista's handling of the USB sticks, but in PowerPoint not dealing well with the older files you're throwing at it. Just a hunch though, you'd need to provide us with the exact error and a step-by-step outline of what you do to cause it for us to be able to properly determine what's going on.

Try disabling UAC (User Account Control)

I agree with gypsy... it would most likely be Powerpoint's problem. The newer version of Powerpoint that is available with Vista may not support some format that the older version supported...

Actually the new machine has something called 'Empower Technology' which can be used to lock access to different types of media ... such as usb devices ... and ... yes it was set to 'on'

Thanks for all who replied, sorry for being a dimwit!