Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I'm using a d-link with built-in wireless. It works reasonably well. I tried configuring it before I plugged it into my cable modem, but it was incredibly unstable (would stop working and once even required a reset via the serial port, though it is prety cool that the thing even has a serial port).

Since I plugged my cable modem into the router it has been working like a charm. All of the instability that I was seeing it when I was just using it as a dhcp server/switch on my LAN has disappeared.

-joe

Hi,

Before I buy, I always go to practicallynetworked.com and read their reviews and the posted opinions of those who own the models they review here:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/list.asp?p=1

I recently bought a new 8 port Netgear RO318 gateway router/firewall. It has a statefull packet inspection firewall instead of a NAT firewall. Has been working great for me on my cable modem setup. Cost me around $180 retail a while back.

If I wanted to stay around a hundred dollars, I would go with the Netgear RP114. The user reviews of folks who own this model are very positive at practicallynetworked.com.

Two things have helped me when I've had problems getting the machines on my home lan to connect to the internet through the router:

The first is to set up the gateway/router to "spoof" one of your computer's network card MAC address to the cable modem. Read the manual for your router if you want to find out more.

The second is to use a crossover cable instead of a regular ethernet cable between the router and the cable modem.

Hope the above helps.

Best wishes,

Louis

Dlink or SonicWall for more security.

Cisco is my first choice...
    After that it is just software stuff like
    fresco.org or linux router project..
    amar
    A student once asked his teacher, "Master, what is enlightenment?"
    The master replied, "When hungry, eat. When tired, sleep. When you need care, come to bobcares....
    https://bobcares.in

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12