Question for (cPanel) hosts.

'Allo.

Just curious about something -

While browsing around different hosts' websites, I have noticed that a large number of them have something listed such as:

cPanel w/Fantastico - Yes (Hot!)
    I'd equate it to something like

Kroger -
    We Have Milk!
    vs

Super Wal-Mart -
    We Have Milk!
    vs

Meijer -
    We Have Milk!

Really? No freaking way!

What is the point of emphasizing something that all of your competitors also have and emphasize? Even to the non-hosting inclined person, is it not kind of tacky and quite honestly..stupid?

Maybe I'm totally missing this from a marketing prospective, but I don't think I am seeing as how redundant it is.

I agree with you. People make a big deal out of average features. I don't get it either Also, even for the non-knowledgeable customers they won't know what Fantastico is, so if they're not lazy they'll google it. But anyway, they'll think its tacky because its posted everywhere. Lame : \
    FazeWire Web Services.
    || We have provided great prices and better support since 2006. Located in Seattle, WA!
    || -----------------
    || Shared Hosting - VPS - Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Software Licenses

I don't know why people say Fantastico is a "hot" feature - if you're running a hosting business without Fantastico then you're behind the times. Fantastico is not a "hot" feature - it's a feature most people assume will be included with a cPanel plan.

Things like RVSkin and RVSiteBuilder are less common things that might be a selling point.
    Big things coming soon

You are a hosting savvy customer but believe it or not there are millions of people out there that do not know what fantastico is and if the host provides a link that explains it, that is a selling point.

Should host also not show that pop and email and mysql is a feature on their plans cause every other host has it?

There is a great big world out there beyond WHT and those people see things like that and think neat I will sign up since I get all theses scripts I can install with one click.

Quote Originally Posted by Techark View Post
    You are a hosting savvy customer but believe it or not there are millions of people out there that do not know what fantastico is and if the host provides a link that explains it, that is a selling point.

Should host also not show that pop and email and mysql is a feature on their plans cause every other host has it?

There is a great big world out there beyond WHT and those people see things like that and think neat I will sign up since I get all theses scripts I can install with one click.
    There we go. I think that's the mentality of many customers who aren't as savvy as those of us on WHT. It's comforting to know that this host has X feature, even if they don't know its significance.

cPanel w/Fantastico w/ very outdated scripts on other users accounts and security holes galore !! - Yes (Hot!)

I like it
    Web Hosting Plus
    Premium Australian Web Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by me
    Even to the non-hosting inclined person

i think you're missing my point, techark. emphasis, in this case, red text, is generally not placed on mysql databases, pop mail, etc, etc.

those are standard features.

if i'm the average joe and i look at.. oh let's say.. 3 hosts' sites and see the exact same thing(s) with extra emphasis (in this case, flashy red text) over and over.....

what i'm saying here is that tons of hosts make it a point to state they offer cPanel and Fantastico, when with an extremely small amount of investigation by the average person will reveal.. everyone does.

Last edited by db09; 01-31-2008 at 11:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by db09 View Post

if i'm the average joe and i look at.. oh let's say.. 3 hosts' sites and see the exact same things over and over.....

i think you're missing my point, techark. emphasis, in this case, red text, is generally not placed on mysql databases, pop mail, etc, etc.

those are standard features.

what i'm saying here is that tons of hosts make it a point to state they offer cPanel and Fantastico, when with an extremely small amount of investigation by the average person will reveal.. everyone does.

Not everyone does. Besides, even I'd like to see straight away what control panel is being used.

I also will guarantee you that if a host does not put it on his site there will be at least one web host savvy client come along that wants fanstastico and click to the next host because he does not think you have it and does not bother to ask.

again, you two are totally missing my point.

look for the red text.

Because that's an important feature that should really stick out on a page.

again, you two are totally missing my point.

look for the red text.
    Point taken. While I clearly don't view cPanel/Fantastico as hot, it's just pure marketing. A lot of customers (unfortunately) prefer cPanel hosting and the red text quickly makes it clear to them that this host does use cPanel. With that being said, the word choice is kind of lame.

^
    huzzah!

Hosts could do more to distinguish their service from their competitors'...I agree that those "hot" designations are usually anything but. I'm not even sure if the term "hot" is hot anymore.

Fantastico is not included in the standard price of cPanel, it's an additional fee per month. While it is not significant (usually around $3-$5) it is an upgrade to the standard version of cPanel. I think since it is an upgrade or added feature it should be advertised as such.

MySQL, PHP, etc. do not cost an added fee per month, so I don't feel like that's an accurate comparison.
    I post on WHT strictly for sig views

Quote Originally Posted by SSHocker View Post
    cPanel w/Fantastico w/ very outdated scripts on other users accounts and security holes galore !! - Yes (Hot!)

I like it
    This made me laugh.

/me quickly goes to check for the Hot !!, but wait what do i see its actually Hot !!. Whohooo i am saved !!

Plus if everyone was hosting savvy person why would someone choose an overselling host over a reliable yet bit more down to earth host ?

Think about if OP, does Fantastico comes default when you get Cpanel ? Nope it does not !!

Do some deep thinking, does Wallmart come has Goats Milk ? If so i am sure it will be GOATS Milk posted all over the store rather than just "Milk"

Cheers have a good night.
    12+ years -same website , new server [SSD Inside] providing shared/reseller hosting only !
    These things we do not provide/offer : Unlimited Storage ! Unlimited Bandwidth ! But Why? Cause, we were unable to put such a large number on our pages, it just would not fit.
    So check out the numbers that actually fit >> << the page as well as your budget too !

the prices, man! the low, low prices.

Personally, I don't emphasize on my RVSkins, I just mention it in my signature along with Fantastico, because of the growth of our business, comes new features we can afford now.

Thanks,
    Nick Kitmitto

Quote Originally Posted by SSHocker View Post

I like it
    Sign me up!

Most hosts don't really offer anything special beyond good support and reliable service. They've got no choice but to otherwise advertise bland offerings.

And then those same hosts complain about companies like Media Temple who find ways to come up with stuff that actually sounds attractive and consequently wins over customers.

what would you all like to see host offer?

Fantastico - Hot
    & A Free KaBoomba At The Wife - Even Hotter

Whilst browsing the net I've notcied that a lot of the sites have "www" at the beginning of them lol...

Unlike most of their unlimited offers....they are limited with their selling points.

owm
    Last edited by Outlaw Web Master; 02-01-2008 at 06:55 PM.
    ‹(¿)›
    Life's what you make it.

'Allo.

Just curious about something -

While browsing around different hosts' websites, I have noticed that a large number of them have something listed such as:

I'd equate it to something like

Kroger -
    vs

Super Wal-Mart -
    vs

Meijer -

Really? No freaking way!

What is the point of emphasizing something that all of your competitors also have and emphasize? Even to the non-hosting inclined person, is it not kind of tacky and quite honestly..stupid?

Maybe I'm totally missing this from a marketing prospective, but I don't think I am seeing as how redundant it is.

I think the reason for the emphasis is because a great many of us only offer cPanel, but have an additional fee for Fantastico. Keep in mind, they are two different products and as such both incur a separate and additional fee for the hosting provider.

So I would guess those posting cPanel W/Fantastico are offering both together at the same rate... For those that want both, I can see the obvious advantage this marketing ploy presents...

BTW, using your analogy.. The milk at Wal-Mart might be the same, but those crappy, flimsy paper thin plastic containers they come in are total crap...

Everyone may offer the same flavor of candy, even the same brand.. We all just package it a little differently.. Finding that one with the best packaging goes a long way towards differentiating the similar product offerings.

Hope this makes sense.
    Jeremy Kinsey (jer@mia.net) - 262-248-6759
    Dedicated Servers - Web Hosting - Colocation HostDrive.Com
    Since 1997