Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arrow No more SWSOFT? What!?!?

They changed their name to Parallels. Personally I like swsoft better.

Interesting. They have had the Parallels software for awhile now, I guess they want to go after the corporate environment. I agree though, swsoft is a better name.
    Daniel Pautz - WebNX, Inc. dan >< WebNX.com
    WebNX.com Enterprise Hosting Solutions – Southern California (Premium Equinix Based DC), Northern Utah (Large 120k Sq' WebNX ran) and NYC Based Servers
    High end Dedicated Servers at reasonable prices on a Premium network with 9x providers route optimized with the Noction IRP

Parallels is a better name, overall. Phonetics for the win.

Interesting company. Certainly going places with all the acquisitions. Not sure about the name though. At least they didn't call themselves Plesk .

The new company name is quite nice.

The renaming of all their products to Parallels this, Parallels that isn't so nice though IMHO. Much preferred the previous shorter names!
    Alasdair
    Long time ex-host, ex-billing software owner/developer/support staff. Recent lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by tickedon View Post
    The new company name is quite nice.

The renaming of all their products to Parallels this, Parallels that isn't so nice though IMHO. Much preferred the previous shorter names!
    I agree, and I can't see anyone actually saying 'Parallels Plesk' instead of just Plesk.

I'm a program manager for a large computer processor manufacturer right now. I'm running a prototype program for SWSoft's PEM (Plesk Enterprise Mangement) which if approved will rollout PEM to manage all the internal hosting for the entire company (over 200 offices worldwide). I've been working very closely with the SWSoft team, including directors and delivery engineers that wrote the software.

Here's what's happened recently:

PEM means Plesk Enterprise Manager, as it originally was developed in Plesk company (mostly known as Plesk (former PSA) Control Panel creator) which was acquired by SWsoft in 2003. After that PSA was renamed to Plesk, and PEM became just PEM due to some marketing reasons (to separate it from Plesk product and Plesk company).

SWSoft is now officially named Parallels (http://www.swsoft.com/en/news/id,15559), PEM will be officially renamed to Parallels System Automation (PSA) and PEM.Billing will be officially renamed to Parallels Billing Automation (PBA). I think that the changes will be applied at PEM 2.7.

SWSoft bought Ensim, Parallels, HSphere and some other hosting panel makers. They're going to be a very VERY large force in this industry and I think you'll see them become the largest provider and easily surpass cPanel.

I'm sure I'm missing some of the acquisitions they did, but here are some other smaller purchases:

CP+, a web-based tool for remotely managing VPS and dedicated servers
    SiteStudio, a browser-based website design tool
    NOC Monkey, a remote provisioning tool for dedicated servers
    FreeVPS, a free Linux-based VPS solution

With Plesk, a very successful control panel, Virtuozzo, the leader in VPS hosting (other than VMware) and the PEM Billing and PEM itself this is a complete tool. A provider such as Softlayer could use this software to run and manage their entier company. It does everything except capacity management and that's something Ops manager does well.
    Last edited by stoly; 01-29-2008 at 11:43 PM.

Thats a good conspiracy but I don't believe that someone can kick cPanel and sit on the 1st place... No, at least not with Plesk :-)
    or psa or parallels whatever you call

Quote Originally Posted by justify View Post
    Thats a good conspiracy but I don't believe that someone can kick cPanel and sit on the 1st place... No, at least not with Plesk :-)
    or psa or parallels whatever you call
    Yea. but Nothing is impossible.

It's also hard to even consider a conspiracty when the company has already done all of the other things it needs to do in order to complete it. lol

I don't think they're going directly after the single server hosting panels though. They're going after the softlayers, planets etc. then when they all start pushing our plesk because it's directly integrated things will start to change, a lot.

but it's definitely true, they aren't going after the hosters. they're going to the NOCs themselves.

It wouldn't take much for cPanel to get it's butt kicked out of the #1 spot..
    What it comes down to though, is whether they're releasing quality products. Plesk? Hm, no. Certainly not one of swsoft's best.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    It wouldn't take much for cPanel to get it's butt kicked out of the #1 spot..
    What it comes down to though, is whether they're releasing quality products. Plesk? Hm, no. Certainly not one of swsoft's best.
    Agreed. Parallels have become a very influential company now.

I think imagine cPanel 13, and Parallels will have that within months. Something of that size and power anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by stoly View Post
    SWSoft bought Ensim, Parallels, HSphere and some other hosting panel makers. They're going to be a very VERY large force in this industry and I think you'll see them become the largest provider and easily surpass cPanel.
    They've been larger than "CPanel" for some time

CP+,
    A poor overlay on webmin, now dumped

Apart from that a good summary
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

I think Parallels is a better name to swsoft.
    Even though thier product naming conventions sound alittle odd..
    ie, Virtuozzo is now Parallels Virtuozzo Containers.!?!?!!

I'm told it will make sence in about a year or so when they have completed the integration of all the products into Parallels control system.

I hear on the grapevine thats why they bought helm.
    SOA/SaaS/Cloud & Hosting Technology Evangelist
    Note: Any opinions expressed are my own and not of anyone else or my companies.

There's too much confusion at the moment. Their own website doesn't even know what they've decided on calling HSPc and PEM - in some places HSPc is called "Parallels Business Automation Standard" and PEM "Parallels Business Automation Enterprise" then in others PEM is called "Parallels System Automation" and PEM.Billing is "Parallels Business Automation" - they need to figure out what they're calling their products themselves before customers understand what stuff will be called. I guess it'll all become clear as new versions of the products arrive with clear branding.

The new versions of products (VZ4 and PIM) are looking great though.

My guess would be that they drop the Virtuozzo brand eventually, Parallels Virtuozzo Containers is too much, Parallels Containers is much better.
    Andrew Cranson, Director of Operations
    Layershift Fully Managed Cloud Hosting :: WizzVPS Cheap Unmanaged VPS
    Jelastic :: Next generation PaaS :: Cloud Hosting
    True 24x7 Technical Support - peace of mind around the clock! UK, USA, Singapore server locations.

Another name to remember. I think they should've kept the SWSoft brand. This is like Microsoft re-naming their company to Wanerapia. Would you like to try Wanerapia Windows Vista today?

Quote Originally Posted by othellotech View Post
    They've been larger than "CPanel" for some time
    Larger yes, but I mean in the hosting control panel realm which they are nowhere near as big as cPanel (but that's coming).

Quote Originally Posted by othellotech View Post
    Apart from that a good summary
    Thanks

I've been doing a LOT of work with this company in the last 5 months and although they're transitioning right now it's mostly semantics. SWSoft is a good company.

The part that sucks is that some of the VPs are in Russia. So my conference calls are at either 7pm (around 8 am the next day for them) or 6 am. They're doing something pretty spectacular here by integrating this whole thing. Virtuzzo and Plesk are already great products. PEM is new, but it's a very complex and versatile enterprise management system.. It won't be focused to thesmall hosts though. the price is not exactly cheap.

To build PEM right you need about 30 grand between hardware software and licensing and that's just to get started. But the enterprise level companies doing this could take 30 grand without a hitch
    Last edited by stoly; 01-30-2008 at 11:42 PM.

Larger yes, but I mean in the hosting control panel realm which they are nowhere near as big as cPanel (but that's coming).
    Says who? They seem to think they are "up to 10 times larger" customer wise (probably evident by their spending and development power compared to the often-stuttering cPanel management), coming from an SWSoft/Parrallels 'higher up' who has no reason to lie to an existing client who would never migrate to cPanel, are you saying you have information which contradicts that?

That you say "..will become a very large force in the hosting industry.." makes me chuckle a bit. That day came and went long ago. They've been huge for quite some time, probably since SWSoft put their money on the line and bought Plesk, making it a massive selling, if not over-rated, product and using the cash and clout to make all the acquisitions and service swaps.

Simon
    EIRCA Ltd, home of The Genius Network™.

The part that sucks is that some of the VPs are in Russia. So my conference calls are at either 7pm (around 8 am the next day for them) or 6 am. They're doing something pretty spectacular here by integrating this whole thing. Virtuzzo and Plesk are already great products. PEM is new, but it's a very complex and versatile enterprise management system.. It won't be focused to thesmall hosts though. the price is not exactly cheap.
    PEM's far from a new product - it's been around since before SWsoft bought Plesk (2003 I think). The earlier versions were far from what it is today though from what I understand.

Having some management and all development in Russia works well in my experience working with them for around 7 years now. Throughout that time our relationship has been positive and they have been a great partner for my business.
    True 24x7 Technical Support - peace of mind around the clock! UK, USA, Singapore server locations.

i don't think swsoft has made a good decision since maybe 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by Layershift Andrew View Post
    PEM's far from a new product - it's been around since before SWsoft bought Plesk (2003 I think). The earlier versions were far from what it is today though from what I understand.

Having some management and all development in Russia works well in my experience working with them for around 7 years now. Throughout that time our relationship has been positive and they have been a great partner for my business.
    I should have been more clear. the Windows version of PEM is brand new. That's what I'm referring to. In fact I believe we are the first enterprise level company implementing it. I know they're doing a whitepaper on it.

As for communication, their support has been nothing short of fantastic.

I use Parallels on my Mac to run XP. Its a great product. However Plesk sucks. Seriously, its the worst web control panel I've ever used. Even more so with the crappy "vista" skins! People use Linux to get away from windows, so why they would want their Linux control panel to have a windows skin is beyond me.

cPanel wont be knocked out any time soon Plesk being the best...haha, dont make me laugh!
    WHSuite - Billing, Automation and Client Management Software.

swsoft's stuff is rife with bugs, weak on workable features, and they take forever to straighten issues out. Their customer service is mediocre at best. I honestly don't see them becoming a major force in anything without an entire revamp of the whole company and the correct attitude that needs to go along with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Iwannasite View Post
    swsoft's stuff is rife with bugs, weak on workable features, and they take forever to straighten issues out. Their customer service is mediocre at best. I honestly don't see them becoming a major force in anything without an entire revamp of the whole company and the correct attitude that needs to go along with that.
    Ditto. They would need to revamp not only the company, but start most of their software from scratch as all it is at the moment is eye candy for windows users.
    WHSuite - Billing, Automation and Client Management Software.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick-Xolot View Post
    I use Parallels on my Mac to run XP. Its a great product. However Plesk sucks. Seriously, its the worst web control panel I've ever used. Even more so with the crappy "vista" skins! People use Linux to get away from windows, so why they would want their Linux control panel to have a windows skin is beyond me.
    We as a provider choose Linux as we prefer it as a server OS. Some of our customers choose it because it supports technologies they require which we don't offer on our Windows plans, or because we charge less for the. They don't care what the Windows or Linux desktop looks like, and don't care what OS we're using, all they demand is that it meets their needs and is easy to use. The vast majority of our clients like Plesk's Windows skins as it is familiar to them, and the interface is very easy to use. For Plesk to have its Windows skin (which is far more intuitive than X or Rvskin from what many of our customers tell us regularly) is a benefit to us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast